Word crashes continuosly whatever I do
Thread poster: Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:36
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 30, 2007

I have Trados 7.0 Version with XP and Word 2000.

I have translated a document of 5 000 words and now as I am going through to edit it keeps crashing whenever I come to a segment which is less than 100 % match.

I have used a completely new copy, reorganised TM, even made a new TM.
Would replacing the dot.template help or what should I do? Time is of the essence and I am not even able to work in the file at the moment. WOuld it help to save as rtf? Or text?
... See more
I have Trados 7.0 Version with XP and Word 2000.

I have translated a document of 5 000 words and now as I am going through to edit it keeps crashing whenever I come to a segment which is less than 100 % match.

I have used a completely new copy, reorganised TM, even made a new TM.
Would replacing the dot.template help or what should I do? Time is of the essence and I am not even able to work in the file at the moment. WOuld it help to save as rtf? Or text?

Grateful for suggestions!

//Anette
Collapse

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no normal.dot in startup Mar 30, 2007

I just noticed that I don't have a normal.dot in startup, should I not have that?

//Anette

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:36
English to Indonesian
+ ...
tageditor Mar 30, 2007

try to use tageditor to translate the file. most of the time i use this to translate doc files.

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
replaced trados7.dot worked Mar 30, 2007

so I am relieved

Thanks for listening anyway

//Anette

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tags Mar 30, 2007

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

try to use tageditor to translate the file. most of the time i use this to translate doc files.

Why is that? I know a few people do that, in which way is it better?

In this case it would mean for me to add all the tags to an already translated text and I don't have the time to do that?

//Anette

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
te for translating Mar 30, 2007

i did write that i use te for translation, not editing. i found out that i got more problems translating doc files in ms word, i.e. font changes etc, but not when i use te.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 03:36
German
+ ...
You need 7.1 Mar 30, 2007

Keep in mind that translation of Word files in TagEditor is not possible with Trados 7.0 . You need at least Trados 7.1.

The TE process is generally better and easier for the translator than the legacy method in Word, but the new Trados filters for Word are still VERY buggy, in my opinion.

Regards,
Benjamin

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word still crashing - what shall I do? Mar 31, 2007

It worked for about 20 minutes and now the same document is crashing every 5 minutes. I have replaced the templates for normal and Trados7. Getting to the point to where I am about to throw the laptop out the window!

I am seriously behind schedule now, and tried downloading Wordfast instead as I am desperate, problem is that I have to wait for the license for a couple of days. NOT my day.

So if ANYONE has ANY ideas what to try PLEASE let me know.

There are
... See more
It worked for about 20 minutes and now the same document is crashing every 5 minutes. I have replaced the templates for normal and Trados7. Getting to the point to where I am about to throw the laptop out the window!

I am seriously behind schedule now, and tried downloading Wordfast instead as I am desperate, problem is that I have to wait for the license for a couple of days. NOT my day.

There are a lot of links in the text, to pictures and videos, can I do something about them? But Word seem to crash anywhere in the document, not just where the links are.

Anette
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details, please Mar 31, 2007

Hi Anette,
Can you please provide some more details as to what happens when Word crashes?
Any error messages?
At which point in the process exactly does the problem occur?
Have you tried deactivating term recognition?
Does the document contain any revision marks or hidden bookmarks?
Do you get the same behaviour with other Word documents?

Best regards,
Ralf

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
a question of minute or two Mar 31, 2007

Try it with a different word file... your hint about links and such raised some flags in my mind. Of course, diagnosis is no cure, but it IS an idea.

hth

smo

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answers Mar 31, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Any error messages?

Just the blue and white box saying Word has encountered a problem and has to close down. Curtain

At which point in the process exactly does the problem occur?

At certain sentences. From the face, they look exactly the same as the others. One possibility is that they are in frames, as in large table cells. But I had a big document that I separated into 5 parts, so far only part 4 of 5 is doing this. I have now started on the last part not to waste time and it is going well. So did part 4 until I went back to edit it, ie just oping and closing segments, that is when it started crashing. Actually, a little squiggle appeared which I removed. I thought that was the reason, and copied a fresh part 4 from my big main document and word is still crashing.

Have you tried deactivating term recognition?
I have not activated it, ie it has not got a tick next to it in the options menu, or do I need to do something more drastic?

Does the document contain any revision marks or hidden bookmarks?
Hmm, shouldn't do, I have not put them their

Do you get the same behaviour with other Word documents?
I had some problems with links in the other parts, but not to that extent.

Ralf

I just tried something else, I changed from normal layout to print layout in view, and touch wood, although I had a squiggle like this -{}, it did not crash. Could this be the answer? Why is the question if anybody knows

//Anette

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problem Mar 31, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

Try it with a different word file... your hint about links and such raised some flags in my mind.

Thanks Vito for your suggestion, other word files aren't any problems, just this one, as you can see in my reply to Ralph.

//Anette

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still crashes Mar 31, 2007

I just tried something else, I changed from normal layout to print layout in view, and touch wood, although I had a squiggle like this -{}, it did not crash. Could this be the answer? Why is the question if anybody knows

_--------------------------------------

Nope, still crashes..as soon as I even try to open a segment.

//Anette

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
suggestion Apr 3, 2007

i would suggest you to use te, again, starting from the translation. in a nutshell, should be like this:
- drop fresh, untranslated copy of the word file to te.
- edit while twb give you the translation, as you have already translated it.

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about the tags? Apr 3, 2007

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

- drop fresh, untranslated copy of the word file to te.
- edit while twb give you the translation, as you have already translated it.

That sounds like a great idea but will I not have to insert the tags in TE, even if I have the translation already, or is there a way round that? When I tried it, the translation came up but I couldn't move on to next segment as the number of tags were different from source text. What happens if I just ignore that?

//Anette

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word crashes continuosly whatever I do

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »