Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:18
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Mar 31, 2007

Hi,

I'm supposed to translate only the non-100% segements in a document, using a TM provided by the client. [Trados 7.5 / Word 2003.]

I thought Ctrl+Alt+[+] will do the trick of moving to the next non-100% match, but instead, it goes straight to the next 100% match, and not just once...

Has the shortcut been changed, or has my key pressing ability been diminished?...

Thanks, Doron

[Edited at 2007-03-31 18:42]

[Edited at 2007-03-31 18:43]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:18
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is the shortcut for what you intend to do Mar 31, 2007

In fact this is exactly the shortcut which is intended to close the current segment and open next no 100% match.
Maybe the delimeters in your text are somehow damaged.
Are you using Word or Tageditor?
Maybe you try to pretranslate the text using the TM provided and then try again?

Regards
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"but instead, it goes straight to the next 100% match, and not just once..." Mar 31, 2007

Har har, it does not do it just once but as long as it takes to get to a non-100% segment:

do
get next segment
until it's non-100%

It may take a while though -be patient ;\.

smo

PS: Jerzy - I love your new image (g).

[Edited at 2007-03-31 23:58]

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback Apr 1, 2007

Thanks, Jerzy.
I tried to 'pre-translate' the whole Word doc first (checked the min. 100% segments checkbox), but I got a full set of 100% matches.
Can't work that one out either, since I know the document contains many non-100% matches (according to the analysis).

So this method is no good...

Vito, do you mean to do the whole 160 pages through Alt=[+]? Or did you mean I should do the Alt+[+] until I get to the first non-100% match, and from then on, Ctrl+Alt=[+]?
I'm afraid the second option didn't work, and the first is tooooooo slow...

So I'm stuck with this big way...

Thanks for any other tip you may have.

Doron

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
It's Alt+Num * Apr 1, 2007

do you mean to do the whole 160 pages through Alt=[+]?
That would bring you to the nearest shrink...

I meant Alt + Num * - which is officially "Translate to the next fuzzy match" (Im translating the German description). Fact is, without opening the segment, there's not way (Id say) for TRADOS to find out, how good the match is. So it just badgers away at segment after segment until non-100% turns up (if ever). In other words, there's no direct access to this kind og segments - a doc file is after all linear structure and we better keep it this way.

Suggestion: Analyze the file and export segments (asking for match less than 100%). I do it a lot and it spares you scanning a) large files in b) Word (the overhead incurred is absolutely intolerable in this combination). You get bilingual txt file out of analyze. What I then do is throw away everything but source: you can then translate (with the same TM) those sentences, and some of them would (should) be pretty close to your intended target. PluzToys (see my profile for URL) is quite handy for this purpose.

Regards and sorry for a shorter than necessary mail last night.

smo

[Edited at 2007-04-01 09:02]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
On document open press CTRL+ALT+HOME first Apr 1, 2007

This should bring you to the next non translated paragrah.
But if you state, your WB has translated more than you have expected it to do, there must be something wrong.
As there is no "min. 100% segments checkbox" you most probably checked the "Segment unknown sentences" checkbox. In this way your document contains source text and translation where 100% matches were found and source text double, where no matches were found.

Please reorganise your TM or even export, recreate and then reorganise it. Translate the original untranslated document with the translate function, using this settings:

Then try again as you tried before. When you open your document press CTRL+ALT+HOME instead of ALT+HOME, so Word will go to the first nontranslated segment. From then on keep opening the next segments with CTL+ALT+NUM+. Please note, that this function will SOMETIMES also open already translated segments. If this starts to happen with each segment, place a marker in the text, where you stopped, restart Word and Workbench and start over again.

HTH
Jerzy

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved and grateful Apr 2, 2007

Hi Jerzy and Vito,

So it was Alt+
  • that did the trick in the end, and took me through the 160 pages almost without a hitch.

(of course, in any given document there must be at least one occurrence of "end of paragraph not found" - Murphy's Law no. 2006/7.5).

Your kind help was much appreciated, and now I'm off to a whole week of Matzos...

Best wishes, Doron

• Vito Smolej
    Germany
    Member (2004)
    English to Slovenian
    + ...
    shalom... Apr 2, 2007

and I wish you dozens of looong fat files to translate down the road.

smo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ctrl+Alt+[+] goes to next 100% match

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
    Across v6.3
    Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
    • All of ProZ.com
    • Term search
    • Jobs