Cultures Connection
Cultures Connection
United States
Local time: 00:31
English to French
+ ...
Mar 31, 2007

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know if it is possible to merge two or more TM (trados).

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Fabrice

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:31
English to German
+ ...
Please use the forum search Mar 31, 2007

Hi Fabrice,
This has been discussed before; if you use "merge TM" to search this forum, you will find this topic, for example.

HTH, Ralf

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Merging TMs Mar 31, 2007

Let's say you have TM1 and TM2, and would like to make TM3 out of them.

1. you export TM1 (as TM1.txt for instance)
2. you export TM2 (as TM2.txt)
3. you create TM3
4. you import TM1.TM1.txt into TM3
6. you do the same with TM2.txt

aqlternative: you can shortcut by copying TM2 into TM3 - make sure you copy all TM2,* files - . Then you just need to do 2. and 4.

[Edited at 2007-03-31 23:49]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
When merging more TMs - please observe some limitations Apr 1, 2007

These limitations are not comming from the software, but I think they are quite important from my own experience.

First, do not merge TMs, which do not have anything in common, ie business and technical. When you merge TMs from two different customers, after the merge you will not be able to differ the TUs from one or other TM and therefore also not able to differ the translation from customer A and customer B. So before you merge TMs, I would add a descirptive attribute to your TUs
... See more
These limitations are not comming from the software, but I think they are quite important from my own experience.

First, do not merge TMs, which do not have anything in common, ie business and technical. When you merge TMs from two different customers, after the merge you will not be able to differ the TUs from one or other TM and therefore also not able to differ the translation from customer A and customer B. So before you merge TMs, I would add a descirptive attribute to your TUs. It is not trivial, but would make a lot of sense. Sorry, but I'm not able to describe the process here. It might be shown in Budapest in Trados training session for advanced users, if necessary.

Secondly, there is a size limit on a TM with SDL Trados 2006 and older. In my personal case a TM of approx. 860,000 units will not open anymore. This value may very much differ from PC to PC, but is NOT dependent on PCs RAM and power. My PC has 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, and a dual-core processor 3,4 GHz, so the limit is not comming from the hardware. Trados suport does not know, why it happens and has no solution so far for this. Some time ago in this very forum another user has reported about having trouble with TM size. After he has deinstalled Multiterm he was than able to open his big TM again. His TM contained more than 1,4 million entries.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:31
English to French
+ ...
Use Olifant Apr 1, 2007

You can download Olifant here:
http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

This piece of freeware was specifically made so you can manipulate TMs exactly the way you want to. Not only can you merge TMs, you can also split them and even isolate certain segments for export as a new TM (segments changed on a certain date, segments that contain a specific p
... See more
You can download Olifant here:
http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

This piece of freeware was specifically made so you can manipulate TMs exactly the way you want to. Not only can you merge TMs, you can also split them and even isolate certain segments for export as a new TM (segments changed on a certain date, segments that contain a specific phrase, segment added by someone else and then changed by you, etc., and any combination of these and others).

Play with this a bit - you'll see how precise you can be with your TMs with this. Trados will never let you perform the same meticulous operations.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merging two or more memories

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »