Thread poster: Monica Tuduce

Monica Tuduce  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 20:38
Partial member
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
Mar 31, 2007

I have the localization problem of numbers in Trados.
I have read the threads about it, but I did not found my specific case and I am not a macro expert.
The problem is: I have already translated a big document, with tables containing lot of numbers (without any digit grouping symbol, i.e. 2 555), that Trados considered as placeable and non translatable segments, so it skipped all of them. Those numbers are on more columns.
Trados did localize all other numbers, in translatable segments.
I finished translating the document and I have to replace all those numbers, localizing them in Romanian, with "dot" as separating symbol 2 555 should become 2.555).
I found a idea on this post:
http://www.proz.com/post/215048#215048
but the macro replaces all commas between two numerals with dots
and I need to replace space with a dot.

Thank you for any suggestion.

[Edited at 2007-03-31 22:13]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
A global search and Replace in word? Mar 31, 2007

I have to replace all those numbers, localizing them in Romanian, with "dot" as separating symbol 2 555 should become 2.555

using Global S&R in word with...

source: ^#(space)^#^#^#

target: ^#.^#^#^#

would do it - I dont think you would need TRADOS for this kind of editing,

Regards

smo

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:38
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Use wildcard searches in MS Word Apr 1, 2007

You can use (with the appropriate care) the fairly powerful wildcard search function in MS Word.

For more details, please see the following two articles of mine (from my blog About Translation):

- How to use wildcard and format searches in MSWord to make sure all your numbers are formatted correctly

- Another Useful Wildcard Search

The first article addresses your kind of problem, and you can adapt the techniques explained there to create a specific search that will help solve your problem.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
This does not work in WordXP Apr 1, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

using Global S&R in word with...

source: ^#(space)^#^#^#

target: ^#.^#^#^#

would do it - I dont think you would need TRADOS for this kind of editing,

I was going to suggest this method too, but when I tried it out, word said, that "^# is not a possible special character" (in Finnish though).
Why's that so?
Regards
Heinrich

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Stupid - of course it does not work this way... Apr 1, 2007

I am sorry ... the offending ^# is to be found in the replacement field - what does it - or they - mean? Nothing, its simply wtong.

The correct way (I checked this time) is

source
([0-9]) ([0-9][0-9][0-9])
target:
\1.\2

with "wildcards" checkbox activated.

The source says: a digit, blank, three digits
The target is then the first group,period, the second group - note parentheses in the source, indicating the two groups.

Appologies again.

Regards

Vito

Luxembourg
Partial member
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 1, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

The correct way (I checked this time) is

source
([0-9]) ([0-9][0-9][0-9])
target:
\1.\2

with "wildcards" checkbox activated.

The source says: a digit, blank, three digits
The target is then the first group,period, the second group - note parentheses in the source, indicating the two groups.

Appologies again.

Regards

Vito

Thank you very much, all of you, for your help.
That is exactly what I was searching for.
This last suggestion worked on XP.

I was wondering if this could be solved somehow before translating, with Trados, like the other numbers, in segments.

I also had to change the percentages 35,89 % (with space and two decimals) in 35,89% (wihtout space and two decimals), so based on your explanation, I did something like that:

source
([0-9][0-9]),([0-9][0-9]) %

target:
\1,\2%

And it worked
But I have to replace spaces with ”nothing” in all percentages, like 35 % (without decimals) or 35,1 % (with one decimal).
Is there some way to make all these three kind of changes in one?

Could you help me with this one, too?

Many thanks in advance.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Can't you not replace Space plus % Apr 2, 2007

Of course this should not be done automatically, but replacing any numer plus space plus % into number plus % should work.
But why do you want to replace the space? Are you sure about that? I usually do the opposite, as in German and Finnish there must be a space in front of any unit, though many writers do not use it.
I noticed the formula provided by Vito (thanks!) needs a second run if there is a number like 23 457 564, because at the first time it replaces only the first space with a point.
Regards
Heinrich

Luxembourg
Partial member
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Magic formula Apr 2, 2007

Of course this should not be done automatically, but replacing any numer plus space plus % into number plus % should work.
But why do you want to replace the space? Are you sure about that? I usually do the opposite, as in German and Finnish there must be a space in front of any unit, though many writers do not use it.

In Romanian, the % sign has to be attached right after the number: 35%.

I noticed the formula provided by Vito (thanks!) needs a second run if there is a number like 23 457 564, because at the first time it replaces only the first space with a point.

Yes, I noticed that too.

This works for all percentages: without decimals, with one and two decimals and it replaces the space with ”nothing”

source
([0-9]) %
target
\1%

Thank you all again

[Edited at 2007-04-02 07:55]

N.B. ”Find wildcards” must be checked and ”Find whole words only” unchecked.

[Edited at 2007-04-02 11:32]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
could it be .... Apr 2, 2007

that your XP has a blank for thousands separator? ... - I am a kind of a fatal attractor for this kind of an errors, so it's experience that speaks here g)

I would assume TRADOS looks up the localoizing information and uses it - would not make sense to keep separate localizing tables.... But, I dont know...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localizing numbers in non translatable segments

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs