https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/69886-translating_100_matches_in_55000_word_excel_document.html

Translating 100% matches in 55,000 word Excel document
Thread poster: Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 4, 2007

Dear all,

I am currently translating a huge Excel file of 55,000 words. 95% of the text is repeated, and I'm constantly clicking the mouse as the majority are 100% matches. Is there any way I can get 100% matches to be translated instantly? The problem is this is a new TM, I've translated about a fifth of the text, but the majority is repeated.

Any help would be appreciated

Paul

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:02
English to German
+ ...
Use 'Translate to Fuzzy' command Apr 4, 2007

Hi Paul,
You didn't specify which software version and editor you're using, so I assume you're working with TagEditor. Why don't you use the Translate to Fuzzy command (shortcut Alt+(Num)*)?

HTH, Ralf

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translating 100% matches Apr 4, 2007

Hi,

As Ralf says, you can use Translate to Fuzzy (Alt +*). This option will propagate repetitions until it meets a new segment. This is a very quick method. However, you may find a bit slow since the ttx file is very big.

Regards

Oscar

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:02
English to French
+ ...
Use the Translate function Apr 4, 2007

In Workbench, you will find, under Tools > Translate, a function that will let you translate automatically all 100% matches, or even fuzzy matches, depending on the match value you specify. This is much faster than the above mentioned solutions - it only takes seconds, or, in your case, maybe a few minutes.

All you have to do is load the TM, close the document in TagEditor, go to Tools > Translate, specify a match value of 100% (this is the default value), don't touch the other opti
... See more
In Workbench, you will find, under Tools > Translate, a function that will let you translate automatically all 100% matches, or even fuzzy matches, depending on the match value you specify. This is much faster than the above mentioned solutions - it only takes seconds, or, in your case, maybe a few minutes.

All you have to do is load the TM, close the document in TagEditor, go to Tools > Translate, specify a match value of 100% (this is the default value), don't touch the other options, specify the file you want to translate and execute. When you open the TTX the next time, all 100% matches will be translated as per the TM. You can also specify 90% as a match percentage and that way 90% matches or better will also be automatically translated, but this is not always useful, as you will have to proofread and correct the pretranslated segments.

All the best!
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My routine for excel files is... Apr 4, 2007

... to cut and paste the stuff into an RTF file and proceed as the others suggested.RTF keeps the cell forms so once I am finished, I clean it and paste back into excel.

Of course, it depends on the contents you have to translate. So far it has worked nicely for me.

smo

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:02
English to Turkish
+ ...
Vito's method Apr 5, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

... to cut and paste the stuff into an RTF file and proceed as the others suggested.RTF keeps the cell forms so once I am finished, I clean it and paste back into excel.

Of course, it depends on the contents you have to translate. So far it has worked nicely for me.

smo

It may cause problems when converting back to Excel if there are two or more lines in a cell

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Use Open Office calculator Apr 5, 2007

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

It may cause problems when converting back to Excel if there are two or more lines in a cell

In such cases I use OpenOffice Calculator. It conserves the original cell-formation, even if there are new linebreaks.
OO calculator is more compatible to MS Excel than MS Word in this respect.
Cheers
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating 100% matches in 55,000 word Excel document

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »