Alexa Dubreuil
Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:16
English to French
+ ...
Apr 5, 2007

Hello everyone

Until recently I was using Trados 6.5 with Word 2002 (Windows XP) and everything was going well.

A few days ago something possessed me to buy Office 2007 and much to my surprise I realised that the TW4Win tool bar was nowhere to be seen in Word 2007.

I found a way to install the Trados 6.5 template (Trados6.dot) in the add-in menu of Word 2007 and even though I can see all the small Trados icons I am familiar with, I get errors when I try to
... See more
Hello everyone

Until recently I was using Trados 6.5 with Word 2002 (Windows XP) and everything was going well.

A few days ago something possessed me to buy Office 2007 and much to my surprise I realised that the TW4Win tool bar was nowhere to be seen in Word 2007.

I found a way to install the Trados 6.5 template (Trados6.dot) in the add-in menu of Word 2007 and even though I can see all the small Trados icons I am familiar with, I get errors when I try to click on them.

The error message I keep getting says that Trados6.dot can't be run either because "the template or add-in is not installed" (despite being installed), or my "security system is blocking the macro". Sorry for not being able to quote the error message properly but it's in French.

Before posting this message I obviously checked the Proz forums in case somebody experienced the same problem and found a solution. From what I've read it seems that Office 2007 and Trados 6.5 are simply not "compatible" but since I managed to make the Trados 6.5 tool bar appear in Word 2007 (despite not being able to use it), I was wondering if there was a way around the problem... Yes, I know it's a bit ambitious!

Any ideas anyone?
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
no way round it Apr 5, 2007

as far as I know they are not compatible and Trados 6.5 won't work under Word 2007. Trados 2007 will be compatible with Office 2007. Looks like you will have to reinstall Office XP or Office 2003 or wait for Trados 2007 to be available.

BTW, your antivirus is blocking the macro. Try and disable the macro protection in your antivirus or make a rule which allow the execution of the macro. You never know... it might work after all......
See more
as far as I know they are not compatible and Trados 6.5 won't work under Word 2007. Trados 2007 will be compatible with Office 2007. Looks like you will have to reinstall Office XP or Office 2003 or wait for Trados 2007 to be available.

BTW, your antivirus is blocking the macro. Try and disable the macro protection in your antivirus or make a rule which allow the execution of the macro. You never know... it might work after all...

Giovanni

[Edited at 2007-04-05 12:02]
Collapse

Piotr Rypalski
Piotr Rypalski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:16
English to Polish
+ ...
btw.... Apr 6, 2007

What about Trados 2007 & Office 2003? Are they compatible or should I upgrade my Office before I download Trados 2007 files?

Best,
P.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 16:16
English to Portuguese
The compatibility is backwards Apr 6, 2007

Trados 2007 works in Windows Vista, XP, Server 2003 and 2000. It works with MS Office 2000, Office XP, Office 2003 and Office 2007. It does not work with Windows NT, ME or 98, neither with Office 97.

Trados 2006 does not work with Office 2007.

Edric

Mnike
Mnike
German to Slovak
Same problem - anybody can help me with trados7.dot? Apr 15, 2007

Hello,
I use trados 6.5 and installed Office 2007 as well - in a middle of a translation - now nothing works and I cannot finish it.

Can somebody PLEASE help me quickly with the new template of Trados 2007 to make the macros work again?
Can you post it somewhere here or send it to my email address?

Thank you very much in advance!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You will need to upgrade to SDL Trados 2007, or revert to Office 2003 Apr 15, 2007

Hi Mnike,

Mnike wrote:

Hello,
I use trados 6.5 and installed Office 2007 as well - in a middle of a translation - now nothing works and I cannot finish it.

Not a very good idea, TBH... but I guess you have realised that by now.

Can somebody PLEASE help me quickly with the new template of Trados 2007 to make the macros work again?

The template on its own won't help you, as it won't work with your version of Trados. You would need to upgrade to SDL Trados 2007, or revert to Office 2003.

Best regards,
Ralf

Daniela Ciafardoni
Daniela Ciafardoni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Installing Trados 6.5 Apr 18, 2007

Alexa Dubreuil wrote:

Hello everyone

I found a way to install the Trados 6.5 template (Trados6.dot) in the add-in menu of Word 2007 and even though I can see all the small Trados icons I am familiar with, I get errors when I try to click on them.

The error message I keep getting says that Trados6.dot can't be run either because "the template or add-in is not installed" (despite being installed), or my "security system is blocking the macro". Sorry for not being able to quote the error message properly but it's in French.

Before posting this message I obviously checked the Proz forums in case somebody experienced the same problem and found a solution. From what I've read it seems that Office 2007 and Trados 6.5 are simply not "compatible" but since I managed to make the Trados 6.5 tool bar appear in Word 2007 (despite not being able to use it), I was wondering if there was a way around the problem... Yes, I know it's a bit ambitious!

Any ideas anyone?

Daniela Ciafardoni
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Installing Trados 6.5 Apr 18, 2007

Alexa Dubreuil wrote:

Hello everyone

Any ideas anyone?

Hello Alexa,
I was wondering if you finally found any way round the problem or if you gave up trying.
I've tried to do the same thing, except that the Trados icons do not appear on the add-in menu or anywhere else (how did you install them?), the rest of the program seems to be installed though.
Any suggestions?

Alexa Dubreuil
Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Confirming incompatibility between Trados 6.5 & Word 2007 + incompatibility btw Office 2007 and Mac Apr 18, 2007

Daniela Ciafardoni wrote:

Hello Alexa,
I was wondering if you finally found any way round the problem or if you gave up trying.
I've tried to do the same thing, except that the Trados icons do not appear on the add-in menu or anywhere else (how did you install them?), the rest of the program seems to be installed though.
Any suggestions?

Hello Daniela

I'm afraid I didn't find a way around it. I tried a variety of things and even though I did manage to display the tool bar it doesn't work (so there is no real point in explaining to you how I did it - if you're really curious, just play with the "add-in" menu).

The only solution seems to be purchasing Trados SDL 7 and considering the cost (which would be in addition to the cost of Office 2007) it is way beyond my budget at the moment.

So I'll have to wait... For now I have reverted to Word 2002 and have kept Office 2007 installed as well (to gradually try to get used to it and enjoy its new functionalities when I don't need to use Trados).

About keeping the 2 versions on your systems, I have to say it's not as convenient as one would have hoped. The main problem is that even though I have set up MS Word 2002 (and Excel 2002 & PPT 2002) as my default programmes for .doc (.xls and .ppt), if I happen to launch Word 2007 (for instance) it launches the installer tool (which you can't stop), causing Word 2007 to become the programme by default.

So basically, having the 2 versions on your system generates quite a waste of time - not only it tends to open the documents using Office 2007 if you're not careful, it also takes longer for the programmes (whether it's Office 2007 or 2002) to launch...

Oh, and one last thing, if you happen to create documents in Office 2007 using the new format (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx), just be aware that these can't be opened on a Mac computer... It simply doesn't recognise it (even if the Office version used on the Mac is recent).

It now appears clearly that purchasing Office 2007 was a bad decision, at least for now.

Daniela Ciafardoni
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks Apr 19, 2007

Alexa Dubreuil wrote:

Daniela Ciafardoni wrote:

Hello Alexa,
Any suggestions?

Hello Daniela

I'm afraid I didn't find a way around it. I tried a variety of things and even though I did manage to display the tool bar it doesn't work (so there is no real point in explaining to you how I did it - if you're really curious, just play with the "add-in" menu).

The only solution seems to be purchasing Trados SDL 7 and considering the cost (which would be in addition to the cost of Office 2007) it is way beyond my budget at the moment.

So I'll have to wait... For now I have reverted to Word 2002 and have kept Office 2007 installed as well (to gradually try to get used to it and enjoy its new functionalities when I don't need to use Trados).

About keeping the 2 versions on your systems, I have to say it's not as convenient as one would have hoped. The main problem is that even though I have set up MS Word 2002 (and Excel 2002 & PPT 2002) as my default programmes for .doc (.xls and .ppt), if I happen to launch Word 2007 (for instance) it launches the installer tool (which you can't stop), causing Word 2007 to become the programme by default.

So basically, having the 2 versions on your system generates quite a waste of time - not only it tends to open the documents using Office 2007 if you're not careful, it also takes longer for the programmes (whether it's Office 2007 or 2002) to launch...

Oh, and one last thing, if you happen to create documents in Office 2007 using the new format (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx), just be aware that these can't be opened on a Mac computer... It simply doesn't recognise it (even if the Office version used on the Mac is recent).

It now appears clearly that purchasing Office 2007 was a bad decision, at least for now.

Hello Alexa,
Thanks very much for your kind help. I guess i might just have to use my old computer for the time being.
I can't believe that 2007 word documents are not recognised by Mac computers!
Thanks again,
Daniela

ghislaine rosso
ghislaine rosso  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Is microsoft word XP 2002, compatible with Trados 2007 Oct 14, 2007

Hello,

I have some technical problems with Trados 2007, I was wondering if it is compatible with word XP 2002 ?

If I have understood well, Trados 2007 8.0, is compatible with microsoft office 2007 ?

Thank you

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
SDL Trados 2007 works with Office XP Oct 14, 2007

I can confirm that, I used to have this combination on my laptop until I recently replaced Office XP with Office 2003.

Regards
Jerzy

Siobain McAlister
Siobain McAlister  Identity Verified
Ireland
German to English
I am experiencing similar issues with Trados 6.5 and 7.0 (I think it's 7.0) Mar 19, 2008

I get the error message : 'Does not recognise file type' when I try to open either a TM or bilingual file from my client.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm really stuck. Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem between Trados 6.5 and Word 2007

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »