Total word count by Trados vs. MS Word
Thread poster: Michael Moskowitz

Michael Moskowitz  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:57
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 5, 2007

This must have been discussed before, if so - my apologies.
I just analyzed a large Word file for repetitions, etc. and it gives me a TotAl Words count significantly higher (ca. 43,000) vs. the word cound (ca. 32,000)done on the same document in MS Word. Anyone seen this before?

Direct link Reply with quote

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:57
English to Swedish
+ ...
Tables, footnotes Apr 5, 2007

Michael Moskowitz wrote:

I just analyzed a large Word file for repetitions, etc. and it gives me a TotAl Words count significantly higher (ca. 43,000) vs. the word cound (ca. 32,000)done on the same document in MS Word. Anyone seen this before?

In my experience Word can miss certain tables and footnotes, do you have a lot of them in there? Of course it may depend on your versions of Word and Trados. I am talking Word 2000.

If the client counts in Word, you will have to point out that it has missed out certain things. I trust Trados count over Word anyday.

//Anette

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:57
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Text boxes Apr 5, 2007

The most significant difference is that MS Word, by itself, does not count any text contained within text boxes.

Lily Zhang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
Trados is less than WORD Apr 6, 2007

But I have also come across cases that the word count in Trados is less than WORD. Fortunately, the agent said they have charged that client according to count in MS WORD (higher one).

Does anyone have an idea what is going on here?

Miguel Jimenez  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
So much difference? Apr 6, 2007

I never heard that there is so much difference between MS Word and Trados.

John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:57
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Word also counts numbers Apr 6, 2007

MS Word (Office 2000) not only misses texts in text boxes (tables are OK), it also counts numbers as words.

David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:57
Member (2007)
German to English
Even worse... Apr 6, 2007

Word has two different counters. You can use the obvious one from the menu Tools|Word Count..., or you can use File|Properties...|Statistics, and get two different word/character/line counts for the same document.

xxxBrandis
Local time: 06:57
English to German
+ ...
I think you should ask your outsourcer.. Apr 6, 2007

Michael Moskowitz wrote:

what he / she takes as basis, if he/she agrees that you process the file using trados (fine, versions etc., ) else word count as per MS-word or the invoicing software (here again ask your client) Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Total word count by Trados vs. MS Word

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums