Thread poster: France Mercier

France Mercier  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:42
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Apr 6, 2007

I installed Word 2007 yesterday with success, and I tried to install Trados 2007. But the installation failed. I always got a message error, and I cant even run Workbench or any other fonction as well.

It is an upgrade from Trados 2006 to 2007. Anyone can figure what I did wrong?

I got this message: An error has occured with TW4Win.exe and must close.

I downloaded the files already extracted and I uninstalled the old version first.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:42
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you activate your software properly? Apr 6, 2007

Without activation my WB crashed also.
After I activated (ie by giving in the code I've got in My Downlads by SDL) everything is ok now.

HTH
Jerzy

Canada
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Activation Apr 6, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Without activation my WB crashed also.
After I activated (ie by giving in the code I've got in My Downlads by SDL) everything is ok now.

HTH
Jerzy

I was not prompt to activate the product. I got the code, but I should enter it during the installation, and it is not happening. And during the installation, the window is always coming back at the same place, and asking me over and over to install it.

Is there any other I could activate the product?

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
early adoption vicitim #2 Apr 6, 2007

I'll volunteer for #3.

smo

[Edited at 2007-04-06 19:53]

Raymond Peat  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:42
Member (2003)
German to English
Me too - I'll just have to wait. Apr 7, 2007

Won't work, more or less the same as France.
I did not uninstall V7.

I noticed there was no detailed text on the first unpacking screen. There was an error during install right at the end
first time.

I too was not prompted to activate the product.
You cannnot reinstall over the top - message says '...already installed'.

Uninstalled it and tried again with Firewall etc. off.
Just the same.

I guess I'll have to stick to V7 until it is clear what to do.

Wasted a morning on it.
I'm just about to start a big project so I probably won't install it now. I hope it's sorted by the time it's over.

Raymond

[Edited at 2007-04-07 22:26]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can install SDL Trados 2007 together with older version Apr 7, 2007

but you cannot install Multiterm 2007 along with an older version.

After your installation is finished, you should be prompted for entering the activation code.
If not, start Tageditor or Workbench and go to Help menu. There is a license manager, which will allow you to enter the activation code.

HTH
Jerzy

Canada
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
cant start any programs Apr 7, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

but you cannot install Multiterm 2007 along with an older version.

After your installation is finished, you should be prompted for entering the activation code.
If not, start Tageditor or Workbench and go to Help menu. There is a license manager, which will allow you to enter the activation code.

HTH
Jerzy

The problem is I cant even start TagEditor or Workbench.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Have you tried to start the license manager alone? Apr 7, 2007

It is located at the same place, as Workbench or Tageditor.

Maybe after you've activated your software it will work.

And one thing more - this is possibly a stupid question, but did you restart your PC after installation?
Would you also please check, if you have Microsoft .NET Framework installed?

Jerzy

Canada
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still not working Apr 7, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

It is located at the same place, as Workbench or Tageditor.

Maybe after you've activated your software it will work.

And one thing more - this is possibly a stupid question, but did you restart your PC after installation?
Would you also please check, if you have Microsoft .NET Framework installed?

Jerzy

Jerzy,

Yes I tried the license manager with no success. I also restarted my computer...and I got Microsoft.NET also. It still doesnt work.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you have any previous installations of Trados there? Apr 7, 2007

As a last ressort of help...
If you had any other Trados installations, this may cause them not to work again.

You will need to modify the registry, so please pay attention not to change anything else. Please also note, that modifying registry may be dangerous and you are doing it on your own risk.

Deinstall Trados (all applications).

Open the registry (click on Start, chose the "Execute" command (this is how it is called in German) and enter "regedit" there and click OK).
In Registry Editor click on the plus sign beside to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", then click the plus sign next to "Software", locate the Trados key, right click on it, chose rename and rename it for example to "_Trados".
Repeat the same procedure for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".

Restart your PC, reinstall Trados. This should really help.

Jerzy

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:42
English to Dutch
+ ...
Try without .Net 2 Apr 7, 2007

France Mercier wrote:

Yes I tried the license manager with no success. I also restarted my computer...and I got Microsoft.NET also. It still doesnt work.

Hi France

I had similar problems, then removed .NET 2 (but you need .NET 1) and now I can work with the Workbench and with Multiterm again. Synergy keeps on crashing and I haven't got TagEditor working yet, but at least I can us Trados in conjunction with Word and MultiTerm again.

Isn't it a disgrace how SDL can get away with this half-baked stuff time and again. Anyway, I should have known better.

Good luck!

In the meantime I got the whole thing to work by deactivating all instances of my virus scanner and then to reinstall. Everything (including .NET 2) works fine now. Even Synergy, which seems to be a real improvement, if it stays stable.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-04-08 19:26]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Hopla! Apr 9, 2007

You installed Trados with your virus scanner and/or firewall activated?
In a lot of installation instructions there is a clear statement "deactivate your antivirus software for the installation period". Also any installer states "please close all programms before continuing". This should also include a virus scanner. Not that I will always do so, but this is a quite probable scenario, that a virus scanner is coincidencing with the installer. There is so big variety of all programms and virus scanners, that the software developer are not able to take all possibilities into account.
Some time back I could not use Office because of Norton Firewall - it has blocked macros on my PC and some extra settings or so were necessary (I do not remember exactly).
So this may also be a step to check.

And please don't blame the software engineers all the time - as written above, there are so many combinations of sotware on different PCs, which cannot be taken into consideration. I've installed Trados (many versions) on many different PCs and never had trouble, so in general it seems to work.
As another example: I have installed Nero BurningROM on my PC, a widely known good application for CD burning. Now, it does not work flawlesly with my Dell... So not only Trados (Microsoft) may have (cause) trouble.

Jerzy

Raymond Peat  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:42
Member (2003)
German to English
Still no success. Leaving it for now. Apr 9, 2007

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

In the meantime I got the whole thing to work by deactivating all instances of my virus scanner and then to reinstall. Everything (including .NET 2) works fine now. Even Synergy, which seems to be a real improvement, if it stays stable.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-04-08 19:26]

Still no success for me. I won't be using my new program for a while but in case it helps others I'll describe what I did.
I proceeded as Marinius suggested after uninstalling the programs and NET2 and the Activation Utility. After rebooting I shut down as many programs as I could, including antivirus, antispyware, firewall.

This time I paid attention to which programs in the package installed. They all did (or reported success) except the Activation Utility. Here there was an error. This is the last program to be installled.

I am not offered the opportunity to activate the product.
Tried installing the Activation Utility from the temp directory. No luck.

None of the important programs run. Workbench, Tageditor, Licencing module, SLDX etc. In the report to Microsoft issued after a failure the common theme on all the programs that do not run is file msvcr80.dll. This seems to relate to C++.

The Synergy program is the only one that actually starts but fails at the "Checking application mode" stage.

I still have version 7 and version 5.5 running on my desktop.

The suite installs and works on my laptop. On this installation the program installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 and updated Java 2 runtime (I think).

Luckily I can continue to use V7. Anyone thinking of updating who has better things to do than fiddle with computers - leave it for a while.
Raymond

Alexandre Melo  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:42
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Trados 2007 installation failed - also with me Apr 10, 2007

Hi,
I had the same problem as France Mercier and Raymond Peat. Running Win XP SP2, updated, Office 2003, I kept Trados 2006 on the computer.
Complete failure of version 2007 Freelance: Activation Utility fails to install; also, TWB doesn't open ("Tw4win.exe caused an arror and has to be shut down" - or similar message - causes an error and shuts down); TagEditor, the same thing. Because Activation Utility fails, I am not prompted to activate. I took the usual precautions: disable antivirus, closed all unnecessary programs, etc. Did anyone hear about a solution for this? I am doing a thorough research on the Internet about this problem, but couldn't find the solution.
I think I was too naive for having accepted SDL's invitation to "pre-order" version 2007. Probably, I bought a version full of bugs. Pre-ordering, never again. Thanks, Alexandre Melo.

Canada
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer? Apr 10, 2007

I just got this email from the sdl support:

"It is not a beta version but I believe there are other people experiencing activation issues.

Support is working on rectifying these issues.

It is a completely new licensing scheme we have introduced with this version.

I will pass your query further.

Best regards and thank you for your patience."

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installation Trados 2007 failed

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs