Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
TagEditor does not open in Trados 2007
Thread poster: Tapsa
Tapsa
Local time: 13:24
English to Finnish
Apr 6, 2007

After installing Trados 2007, TagEditor does not open in my installation. Windows gives a warning sound, but no message. Likewise, Synergy 2007 works only partially. It crashes, when trying to create a new project.

Windows Task manager lists TagEditor process, but there is no way switching to it.

Workbench and Multiterm seem to work, except Multiterm.dot crashes Word 2003.

Re-installation did not solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Direct link Reply with quote

Joel Earnest
Local time: 12:24
Swedish to English
Same problems with TE Apr 7, 2007

I'm having the same problem with TE, although I see it in Windows Task Manager, listed under Processes. I suspect we're getting an error message box that isn't displaying, hence the warning sound.

Synergy crashed the first time I tried clicking the MT Extract button. Haven't tried anything since.

Have translated for about three hours with the Word 2003-Workbench-MultiTerm combo with no problems.

Workbench and TE are both reported as registered in the License Manager. I registered using the code.

Have contacted support.

[Edited at 2007-04-07 14:59]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you activate your software properly? Apr 7, 2007

My Workbench crashed, when not activated.
Maybe this is one reason.

You might try to rename the TagEditor.exe.manifest file in TT folder from your Trados installation folder. This file contains (also) screen settings for TE - in my case very long time ago I was able to bring Multiterm to display everything properly using this way. If this helps, you may delete the previously renamed manifest file. Otherwise you simply rename it back.

HTH
Jerzy

Tapsa
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Activation is ok, renaming produces error dialog Apr 7, 2007

After renaming TagEditor.exe.manifest , starting Tageditor displays an error message dialog box with following text:

----
Runtime Error!

Program: C..

R6031
- Attempt to inititalize the CRT more than once.
This indicates a bug in your application.
---

By the way, the content of my TagEditor.exe.manifest file is (I replaced every opening (less than) and closing (greater than) character with '[' and ']' so that the listing can be shown here):

[?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?]
[assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"]
[dependency]
[dependentAssembly]
[assemblyIdentity type="win32"
name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
version="6.0.0.0"
publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
processorArchitecture="X86"
language="*"/]
[/dependentAssembly]
[/dependency]

[dependency]
[dependentAssembly]
[assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.CRT" version="8.0.50608.0" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"][/assemblyIdentity]
[/dependentAssembly]
[/dependency]
[dependency]
[dependentAssembly]
[assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.MFC" version="8.0.50608.0" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"][/assemblyIdentity]
[/dependentAssembly]
[/dependency]
[/assembly]

[Edited at 2007-04-07 18:21]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Reinstall again, but use "clean install" method Apr 7, 2007

this means you will need to modify you registry.
Deinstall all Trados applications.

After that restart your PC if prompted.

Go to Start, select "Execute" (this his how this element in called in German Windows) and type "regedit" there. Click ok to start it.
In the Registry Editor clikc the plus sign beside the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then the plus sign beside "Software". Rename the Trados key (by right-clicking it and selecting "rename") to "_Trados" for example.
Repeat this procedure to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Close the Registry Editor, restart your PC, reinstall Trados.

Please note, that modifying registry may be dangerous and you are doing this on your own risk.

Please also make sure you have Microsoft .NET Framework and Java Runtime installed. I'm not sure about the JRE for SDL Trados 2007, but for SDL Trados 2006 the JRE 1.4.2_08 was necessary.

Jerzy

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:24
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same here, Tageditor in Trados 2007 does not start, Synergy crashes Apr 7, 2007

Tapsa wrote:
After installing Trados 2007, TagEditor does not open in my installation. Likewise, Synergy 2007 ... crashes, when trying to create a new project.

Re-installation did not solve the problem.

Any ideas?

- Exactly the same here. Let's keep one another posted.

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Reinstall? Apr 7, 2007

Marinus, did you reinstall using Jerzy's clean install method?

Joel

Tapsa
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Clean install doesn't help Apr 8, 2007

Tried clean installation by uninstalling all Trados/Multiterm/SDLX-versions, deleting hidden files in Application data, folders in Program Files, entries in registry, last traces with Windows Install Cleanup, rebooting in appropriate situations, and re-installing Trados 2007.

Nothing changed...

It simply must be so that SDL has released beta software wihtout enough (if any) testing, and done it just before Easter (holiday in many countries), so that they have "few hours more" to polish the product after reading all these complaints by early installers and before the next work week begins.

Or maybe they were so busy getting it Vista compatibe that they forgot to testi it in Windows XP...

Yes yes, I'm cynical and crumpy...

Per Riise  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Same problem here Apr 8, 2007

...but I thought it was because I installed on Windows XP through Boot Camp (on an Intel iMac). I get this error message when trying to open a new project in Synergy: Method not found: 'Trados.Interop.SettingsManager.RootElements Trados.Interop.SettingsManager.ISettingsFile.get_RootElements()'.

Good to hear that other peopple are also experiencing the same thing. I too have tried several clean installs, to no avail. I also installed the software on my laptop after having dicovered the problem, and that installation seems to be working as it should, so it can't be Windows XP itself that's causing problems.

...and the Synergy feature was my main reason for upgrading.

[Edited at 2007-04-08 08:10]

julienwp
France
English to French
Works great here... Apr 8, 2007

Tapsa wrote:
It simply must be so that SDL has released beta software wihtout enough (if any) testing, and done it just before Easter (holiday in many countries), so that they have "few hours more" to polish the product after reading all these complaints by early installers and before the next work week begins.

There must be another explanation... It works great on my computer
Did you install all the components (JRE, C++, Scripting language, .Net Framework 2.0, coffee machine [the installation process is quite long], etc.)?

dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
Works ok with my system Apr 8, 2007

JulienP wrote:

Tapsa wrote:

There must be another explanation... It works great on my computer
Did you install all the components (JRE, C++, Scripting language, .Net Framework 2.0, coffee machine [the installation process is quite long], etc.)?

It works ok with my system: Windows XP SP2, Office 2003 SP2

Regards,
Davor

Tapsa
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Fix for the propblem Apr 8, 2007

I propaply found solution. I created a new topic for that (as I thought it is very important topic). I repeat it here (hope this helps others too)

After extensive detective work (read: "just being lucky") I propably found a fix (the "Attempt to initialize..." message was the clue).

Check if you have registry entries corresponding to
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers?
If there is "explorer.exe " as an entry, removing that
fixed the problem

Of course, you must reboot after making this change and be very careful because tampering with registry is risky.

[Edited at 2007-04-08 13:00]

[Edited at 2007-04-08 13:07]

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Removing Synergy and SDL didn't help Apr 8, 2007

Still can't open TE.

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
Removed .NET 2. Trados 7 works again, but without MT. Apr 8, 2007

'Clean' install had no effect, but I'm too busy at the moment to go on experimenting with this §$*#, so I removed .Net 2 and can work with my old Trados 7 Workbench and TagEditor again. Regrettably without MultiTerm, which now makes Workbench crash.
Synergy hasn't worked from the word go, crashes as soon as I click a button.
I knew there was gonna be trouble when I saw the long list of programs (Java, .NET 2, the works) the SDL installation routine was going to install.
Will try again somewhere next week with virus scanner switched off and with Jerzy's suggested amendments to the Registry.
Let's try and make this a pleasant Easter weekend nevertheless!

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
Switch off all virus scanners. Apr 8, 2007

Update: Eureka! It worked.
I thought, "What the heck, it's raining anyway" and tried again, this time with all instances of virus scanners and the like switched off (Ctrl+Alt+Del, stop everything that looks like it belongs to your virus scanner).
No 'Clean Install', just full installation on top of an already existing, but non-functioning installation.
Synergy works, TagEditor works, Workbench recognizes MultiTerm, even the Spellchecker in TagEditor (only after renewed online activation).
If Synergy turns out to be a stable program it may actually turn out to be a real improvement.
We'll see. Anyway, hope this helps one or the other.
Good luck!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor does not open in Trados 2007

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs