License for SDL Trados Freelance 2007
Thread poster: ZZZZZZ (X)
ZZZZZZ (X)
ZZZZZZ (X)
Local time: 03:07
German to English
Apr 7, 2007

It looks like you get a code to type in at installation - so far so good - but then ONE instance of activation. I noticed in the right-hand column that I now have "0 of 1" chances to activate it. If you want to use a different computer, like a laptop, you apparently have to return the license, hook the laptop up to the Internet and then activate a license on it.

This type of licensing is very annoying to me, and I don't think I would have bought the update if I had known that. Also,
... See more
It looks like you get a code to type in at installation - so far so good - but then ONE instance of activation. I noticed in the right-hand column that I now have "0 of 1" chances to activate it. If you want to use a different computer, like a laptop, you apparently have to return the license, hook the laptop up to the Internet and then activate a license on it.

This type of licensing is very annoying to me, and I don't think I would have bought the update if I had known that. Also, if you ever have a hardware failure, you will have to beg Trados (at their leisure in answering) to give you another activation. Too many failures and you can probably buy another license.

I really think that is going overboard - people who wouldn't normally turn to "cracked" versions on the Internet may start considering it, even after having bought a license. At least Microsoft is looser with its activation.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, I've got two instances of that Apr 7, 2007

I would just contact SDL now and ask them what if...
Ideed, I liked the soft-lock license more too.

Regards
Jerzy

Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Two attempts Apr 8, 2007

Seems that you get two attempts. I run Windows XP (Boot Camp) on an iMac, and I got an error message when trying to create a new project in the Synergy application. I then installed SDL Trados 2007 on my laptop and activated, just to check if I got the same error message - and it worked! Even Synergy worked this time around. Therefore, I decided to install Trados on my third computer (which is usually a dedicated backup computer - and it's come in handy in a couple of instances!), and use that o... See more
Seems that you get two attempts. I run Windows XP (Boot Camp) on an iMac, and I got an error message when trying to create a new project in the Synergy application. I then installed SDL Trados 2007 on my laptop and activated, just to check if I got the same error message - and it worked! Even Synergy worked this time around. Therefore, I decided to install Trados on my third computer (which is usually a dedicated backup computer - and it's come in handy in a couple of instances!), and use that one as my production computer. Then I hit into trouble. Trados claims that I have used up my licenses, which is true, if you only consider the number of installations, but what I actually have, is a flawed installation, an installation that only works as a 30-day demo, and a proper installation on my laptop, which I have no use for. Now, why didn't I just install it on my backup computer instead of my laptop the first time around. As it is ineed a backup PC, I didn't want to fickle with that one, in case there was a real problem with the Synergy application. Knowing that isn't the case, I can now safely upgrade my 2006 into 2007 on the backup PC and use that one as my main computer, with the iMac working as backup - if I can only talk Trados into giving me another chance of activating the software. I agree with the statement that this makes cracked software taste better, as it's only creating problems for those who like to pay for genuine software. Those who don't like to pay, always get hold of a copy anyway. Trados only manages to irritate their customers with this policy.Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Seems I won't upgrade for a while yet Apr 8, 2007

This sounds really stupid. I'll stick to 2006 for the time being.
Is there any added functionality in the 2007 package compared to 2006?
Regards
Heinrich

David Earl
David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:07
German to English
Have to agree with Jerzy on this one Apr 9, 2007

It reminds me of an old copyright scheme used by Lotus & others a couple of decades ago, but using a 5" floppy disk, instead of the internet. If something went/goes wrong with the point of connection (Internet, disk, etc.), you could buy a new license.

Only thing to do is to tell Trados if you disagree with it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

License for SDL Trados Freelance 2007

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »