https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/70208-error_message_in_tag_editor_tag_settings_file_could_not_be_found.html

error message in tag editor 'tag settings file could not be found'
Thread poster: Suzanne Deveson
Suzanne Deveson
Suzanne Deveson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:20
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 9, 2007

Hi all,

I'm trying to work in tag editor from my laptop. I'm using Trados 2006 on both machines and I've sent the files to my laptop, but as soon as I try to open it I get the message 'tag settings file could not be found'. If I then ask it to locate it, it says no matching tag settings are found. Does anyone know how to solve this? Should I have sent a tag settings file with the other files? I would really appreciate your help. It's rather urgent!

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
FYI Apr 9, 2007

Thread moved to Trados support forum.

Natalia

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which file type? Apr 9, 2007

Hi Suzanne,
What file type are you working on?

Ralf

Suzanne Deveson
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
html files Apr 9, 2007

Hi Ralf,

I'm working on html files. I'm pretty new to tag editor.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
html4.ini Apr 9, 2007

Hi again,
TagEditor has a standard tag settings file, which you can select via Tools - Tag Settings.

HTH, Ralf

Suzanne Deveson
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
predefined Apr 10, 2007

Hi Ralf,

I looked there, but on both machines, it was on 'predefined html settings', so I thought that should be ok. The first message I got said: last time the document was saved (on my PC) the settings file was C:\Progam Files\Trados\T5_FL\TT\html4.ini. When I ask it to locate it, it says it can't be found. But perhaps this is because it is located elsewhere on my laptop?

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Old version Apr 10, 2007

Hi again,

I looked there, but on both machines, it was on 'predefined html settings', so I thought that should be ok.

And that's what it should be - can you open the HTML file?

The first message I got said: last time the document was saved (on my PC) the settings file was C:\Progam Files\Trados\T5_FL\TT\html4.ini. When I ask it to locate it, it says it can't be found. But perhaps this is because it is located elsewhere on my laptop?

Nope - because that was the .ini file in Trados 5 Freelance (which you will have deinstalled in the meantime). What you can do is to re-select the current version of html4.ini, which is in the "TT" subdirectory.

Best regards,
Ralf

Suzanne Deveson
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how do I reselect? Apr 10, 2007

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your help. How should I reselect the file settings? I tried just looking under tools and clicking ok when the correct one is highlighted, but that didn't work. About older versions, I have been using the new version of TRADOS for these files on my PC, but I have not de-installed the old version, because I understood you can keep them both on there, as long as you don't switch between the two without using a special procedure. I don't actually use the old version
... See more
Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your help. How should I reselect the file settings? I tried just looking under tools and clicking ok when the correct one is highlighted, but that didn't work. About older versions, I have been using the new version of TRADOS for these files on my PC, but I have not de-installed the old version, because I understood you can keep them both on there, as long as you don't switch between the two without using a special procedure. I don't actually use the old version anymore, but I have left it on there just in case. I am working away from home on my laptop, so I can't change any of the settings on my PC from here.

I can open the file if I choose the option 'open file anyway' after it says 'no matching file settings found' but I can't see the images. I can also open new files I have not worked on so far, but I'm worried I can't then import them back into my PC afterwards without the same problem happening on my PC.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not a current problem, IMO Apr 10, 2007

Hi again,
I don't think this is a current issue - it's more likely that you accidentally used an outdated version of the .ini file before.

Thanks for your help. How should I reselect the file settings? I tried just looking under tools and clicking ok when the correct one is highlighted, but that didn't work.

What do you mean by "that didn't work"? Couldn't you select the .ini file (in which case, did you get an error message)?

About older versions, I have been using the new version of TRADOS for these files on my PC, but I have not de-installed the old version, because I understood you can keep them both on there, as long as you don't switch between the two without using a special procedure. I don't actually use the old version anymore, but I have left it on there just in case.

Not a very good idea, TBH - if I recall the installation procedure of SDL Trados 2006 properly, there is a strong recommendation to de-install older versions.

I can open the file if I choose the option 'open file anyway' after it says 'no matching file settings found' but I can't see the images.

Which is perfectly normal in edit mode - can you see images in preview?

I can also open new files I have not worked on so far, but I'm worried I can't then import them back into my PC afterwards without the same problem happening on my PC.

But you can open the files, can't you?

Best regards,
Ralf

Suzanne Deveson
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
correct file settings were already highlighted under 'tools' Apr 10, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,
I don't think this is a current issue - it's more likely that you accidentally used an outdated version of the .ini file before.

Probably, although I don't know how, because I never used tag editor in the older version.

What do you mean by "that didn't work"? Couldn't you select the .ini file (in which case, did you get an error message)?

It was already highlighted, and there is no button to say select, so I just clicked ok, but that didn't solve the problem.

[/quote]
Which is perfectly normal in edit mode - can you see images in preview?

No, I know you're not supposed to see them in edit mode, but I couldn't see them in preview either.

[/quote]
But you can open the files, can't you?

Yes, I can, but I'm worried this may cause problems later on when cleaning files or sending them to the client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

error message in tag editor 'tag settings file could not be found'

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »