Thread poster: Gillian Searl

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:50
Member (2004)
German to English
Apr 10, 2007

Hi,
I have just got myself in a real mess and need your help.
I just WinAligned a huge doc that I need urgently and then discovered I had mixed up the source and target documents
So I now have an English into German import for Workbench and I need German into English.
Is there anything I can do with the export file? or inside WinAlign? to reverse the languages?
Thanks
Gillian

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:50
English to French
+ ...
Create new TM Apr 10, 2007

There might be other solutions, but the first one that comes to my mind:

- Create a new TM with Workbench, using the right language pair

- Import the TM you created when aligning the file, Trados will sort the segments correctly, in the right order.

- Export this TM, that has the correct language pair

Good luck!

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Search & Replace using a text editor Apr 10, 2007

Hi Gillian,
No panic - all you need to do is to swap the language codes in the export file; this should be simple using a text editor (such as TextPad, for example - but the Windows notepad should do as well).

The only thing to bear in mind is that you will need to change one of the languages to a third - otherwise, you won't be able to distinguish TUs after the first replacement operation.

For example:

1. Replace "Seg L=EN-GB" with "Seg L=EN-US"
2. Replace "Seg L=DE-DE" with "Seg L=EN-GB"
3. Replace "Seg L=EN-US" with "Seg L=DE-DE"

HTH - Ralf

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TW can reverse, but won't recognise Apr 10, 2007

Hi Marie-Claude,

- Create a new TM with Workbench, using the right language pair

- Import the TM you created when aligning the file, Trados will sort the segments correctly, in the right order.

- Export this TM, that has the correct language pair

I don't think this will work - Workbench can 'reverse' the direction of a TM export; Gillian's problem is that the translation units have the wrong language codes.

Best regards,
Ralf

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
? Apr 10, 2007

But if I read her message correctly:

So I now have an English into German import for Workbench and I need German into English

It sounds to me like a language direction problem... but I could be mistaken, of course

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Bit more complicated, unfortunately Apr 10, 2007

Hi again,
Unfortunately, this is a bit trickier than the standard language direction issue, where an existing TM needs to be reversed. Export/import files aren't directional by definition, which is why you can export a DE-EN TM, and import the data into an EN-DE TM. (I deliberately omit the linguistic problems which may result from that approach.)

However, if you 'swap' the languages when aligning, you will create an export that looks like this (codes simplified, to permit display in the forum):

Code:

<b>DE-DE</b> This is a complete sentence.
<b>EN-GB</b> Dies ist ein vollständiger Satz.

Unless you 'reverse' the alignment (by either re-doing it, or by just swapping the language codes), this import would be the wrong way around, regardless of the direction of the TM you're importing to.

Best regards,
Ralf

PS Gillian, maybe you could clarify the nature of the problem.

[Edited at 2007-04-10 09:21]

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:50
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf Apr 10, 2007

Your expertise in invaluable! You saved my day.
Gillian

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Ahhhhhh Apr 10, 2007

Yes, you are right, I didn't understand it like that. I really thought it was just the language direction that was problematic, not what you described. In that case, yes, a search/replace should do the trick!

You learn every day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinAlign Crisis! Urgent! How to switch languages

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums