Translating Word files in Tag Editor
Thread poster: Dr. Jason Faulkner

Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:48
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
Apr 12, 2007

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of translating an MS Word file in Trados 6.5. The client had mentioned that lately they have been translating Word files in Tag Editor due to formatting errors encountered when translating in Workbench. I've never translated Word files in Tag Editor so I asked the client if it would be ok to do it in Workbench. Due to the non-complex nature of document, the client thought that I should be ok using Workbench.

Well low and behold, as soon as evening falls in Europe, Workbench is crapping out on me. There are probably some tag problems in the document, but I'm afraid to try the "fix document" function because this document was prepped by the client with the bookmark handler and I don't want to mess something up. It's too late in Europe for me to contact the client and I really wanted to get some work in to him this evening so that we don't go into the weekend with nothing.

So my question is . . .

How do you import/translate a .doc file in Tag Editor? I've tried many forum searches, but I can't seem to find anything on the subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SaludoZ!

Jason

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:48
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not possible with Trados 6.5 Apr 12, 2007

In order to be able to translate Word files in Tageditor you must have Trados 7.1 and above. From my own experience I would only recommend doing so with SDL Trados 2006 SP2, as previous versions did not deliver expected results (well, sometimes, not alwasy, but it was often enough to get upset).

Now in your situation, as far you've started translating the Word file, you are no more able to use it in Tageditor. In Tageditor you can only open a file before you started translating. Opening a bilingual file is impossible.

As you do not descirbe what kind of errors/problems you are encountering, I cannot tell what to do. If the file has been prepared with BookmarkHandler, using the "Fix document" option shouldn't damage the file in any way.
If you wish, you might send me the file at info at doku minus trans dot de with a short problem description, so I could take a look at it.

Best regards
Jerzy

Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:48
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Getting close to upgrade time Apr 12, 2007

Thank you, Jerzy for your reply. You always seem to come through when I am in a crisis. I'm going to upgrade my PC in a few months so I guess I'll have to upgrade Trados, too.

I went ahead and hit "fix document" and it looks like I didn't mess anything up. This document has so many bookmarks that I was afraid I might mess them up. Looks like I'm safe. I'm plugging away again in Workbench.

Thanks for being so helpful. Your answers always pull me out of a jam. I hope Henry is compensating you for all your work. If not, I'll send you a check when I become a millionaire.

SaludoZ!

Jason

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:48
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Don't do so :) Apr 12, 2007

Dr. Jason Faulkner wrote:
If not, I'll send you a check when I become a millionaire.

SaludoZ!

Jason

Well, then you will leave me without the great feeling beeing able to help someone.

I appreciate your comments, thak you.
Should you have other questions, do not hesitate to post them here, of - if you prefer - to contact me directly.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Word files in Tag Editor

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums