Thread poster: Angelika Gruber

Angelika Gruber  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:45
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 15, 2007

I installed the full trial version a couple of days ago. I am planning to buy, but am know to TRADOS since most of my clients supply me only with printed document copies.

Installation was easy and I started testing with a medical questionnaire that was easy to translate and had many matches so it was easy to see how well the program worked. So far, so good. After a couple of pages the program stopped working and has not worked since. I have restarted, uninstalled, and reinstalled, nothing seems to help. First, after the first couple of pages it would just not open a new translation section. Now the two colored boxes show up, but the program does not recognize any translations, alas it is like a manual translation using colorful text boxes.

Amongst other things I have received the following error message:

"The mark for ending a translation unit is missing or damaged."

I believe that indicates that the program does not "see" when a translation is done and what pasus it is for.

Sorry for the lenghty explanation, but maybe somebody knows what is going on here and how to fix it.

Many thanks,

"The mark

Direct link Reply with quote

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 13:45
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I suggest Apr 15, 2007

seems you have damaged the tags of your document-the simplest way to restart is to take the original document you translated and to re-translate it "to fuzzy", using the same TM.

Be sure to re-save your source file with a different name before that- normally you cannot loose your original document using Trados, but as a beginner, to be on the safe side...

HTH,

Uldis

Amongst other things I have received the following error message:

"The mark for ending a translation unit is missing or damaged."

United States
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, I tried that also, to no avail. Apr 16, 2007

I should have mentioned that - making the post even longer., but yes, I have saved with new name, reopened, opened different docs - all with no different result. Hence, I unistalled and reinstalled and still no difference.

Any other ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 12:45
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Hav you tried "Repair document"? Apr 16, 2007

Does not cost much, just a click to try: "Repair document" - to be found in the Trados menu...

If the segment marks are screwed up, then of course there's hiccups - although not that many as indicated in your post.

smo

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If all other hints do not work... Apr 16, 2007

simply start with your TM you have already created and a new, fresh copy of the document.
Set Word so, that you will see all formatting marks - this way you will not damage anything again.
Before you start translating always leave an unchanged copy of the original file in your system - just in case...

Regards
Jerzy

United States
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I have. Didn't work... Apr 16, 2007

Assuming it is the same as "fix document".
Thanks,

Vito Smolej wrote:

Does not cost much, just a click to try: "Repair document" - to be found in the Trados menu...

If the segment marks are screwed up, then of course there's hiccups - although not that many as indicated in your post.

smo

United States
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I had tried that, too. No difference. But, thanks. Apr 16, 2007

One more observation: when I hit "translate to fuzzy" all it does is change the formatting from print view to normal layout.

The formatting marks for the beginning and ending of a translation seem to be there. Still it doesn't work. The translation marks seem to be where the problem initially started, when I revealed formatting in the first document that I translated it worked for a while and then change and stopped working. Ever since, it hasn't worked even after reinstalling the complete software.

Any other ideas?

Best regards,

Angelika

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

simply start with your TM you have already created and a new, fresh copy of the document.
Set Word so, that you will see all formatting marks - this way you will not damage anything again.
Before you start translating always leave an unchanged copy of the original file in your system - just in case...

Regards
Jerzy

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Doesn't it work for a particular document or for any document? Apr 16, 2007

If it doesn't work with a particular document, than the document itself is the problem.

Otherwise try to renew your Trados7.dot (copying it from Trados installations folder to you Word startup folder).
You may also try to rebuild your Normal.dot (don't delete your current Normal.dot, but just rename it to xNomal.dot or similar) - maybe the template is corrupted.

Then try to translate anything using Tageditor - if this doesn't work, than the problem is bigger and I must give up.

Jerzy

United States
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't work for any document. Apr 16, 2007

Thanks a bunch, I will try your suggestions and will get back on this.

Angelika

Well, I tried this in the meantime, my file is actually Trados8, with the result that I now have 2 trados toolbars and menus in my word document, but it still doesn't work. I get the same error as before, now with a code if that means anything to Trados gurus (33203):The mark for starting a translation unit is missing or damaged.

[Edited at 2007-04-16 20:05]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Tags problem Apr 16, 2007

Good evening,
I had a look at the document - the problem is that you wrote into the tags rather than inside a segment: as a result, Trados can no longer recognise where source and target segments begin and end. Not a software error, as far as I can see.

Workaround 1: Delete the problematic paragraph, and copy the source from your original document.

Workaround 2: Start over with a new copy of the source document.

Best regards,
Ralf

United States
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Probably did that after (!) nothing else worked. Apr 16, 2007

I have tried opening a new copy of the same source, a new copy of a completely new test document, the result is always the same.

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Good evening,
I had a look at the document - the problem is that you wrote into the tags rather than inside a segment: as a result, Trados can no longer recognise where source and target segments begin and end. Not a software error, as far as I can see.

Workaround 1: Delete the problematic paragraph, and copy the source from your original document.

Workaround 2: Start over with a new copy of the source document.

Best regards,
Ralf

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Then you have stored the damaged translation in your TM Apr 16, 2007

or you are always doing the same mistake...

As Ralf clearly stated, you have written where you shouldn't have written. Set Word to display ALL FORMATTING marks and keep them displayed while working.

You also shouldn't have two Trados toolbars in Word - I would recommend deleting one of Trados templates from Word startup folder - either the one for SDL Trados 2006 or SDL Trados 2007, depending on which program you will use.

Regards
Jerzy

United States
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, I have since opened several different TMs also. Apr 16, 2007

As I stated before that happened while trying to manually fix the problem.

Well, thanks everybody for their help, I guess I will just work without Trados. And I may be blond, but I have run IT departments in a former profession and doubt that I keep making the same mistake over and over without realising it.

Again, thanks everybody for their time.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

or you are always doing the same mistake...

As Ralf clearly stated, you have written where you shouldn't have written. Set Word to display ALL FORMATTING marks and keep them displayed while working.

You also shouldn't have two Trados toolbars in Word - I would recommend deleting one of Trados templates from Word startup folder - either the one for SDL Trados 2006 or SDL Trados 2007, depending on which program you will use.

Regards
Jerzy

Harry Borsje
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Word layout Apr 17, 2007

Going back to your very first post, I encounter such problems for instance when Trados tries to read (just before) a field, like an automatic table of contents. In that case one workaround is to just go to the first sentence after the field and open that. In other cases it sometimes helps to insert a return after the problematic segment before opening it.

Apart from 'fixing' your document, which may be required due to the emergency stop by Trados, you may also need to reorganise the translation memory.

Good luck!

Harry

[Edited at 2007-04-17 07:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: Just installed TRADOS 2007 - can't get it to work

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs