https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/70940-trados_counts_excel_tab_names_only.html

Trados counts Excel tab names only?!
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:09
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 19, 2007

Hi all,

I have a slightly elaborate Excel file, with eight tabs. The tab names are all less than 32 characters, and neither of them contain any non-standard chars.
Each page has a dozen columns of text.

I try to analyze this in Trados 7.5, but the word count only amounts to 8 words!
Even after resetting all filter settings back to default, it's still the same.

We sent in the file to Trados support. They explained that there is a bug: Trados onl
... See more
Hi all,

I have a slightly elaborate Excel file, with eight tabs. The tab names are all less than 32 characters, and neither of them contain any non-standard chars.
Each page has a dozen columns of text.

I try to analyze this in Trados 7.5, but the word count only amounts to 8 words!
Even after resetting all filter settings back to default, it's still the same.

We sent in the file to Trados support. They explained that there is a bug: Trados only counts the tab names, not the actual content, but couldn't explain why.

Did any of you come across this behaviour, and is there any workaround (short of cut/pasting the entire content into a new file)?

TIA;

Jan
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Hidden (locked) content? Apr 19, 2007

You probably did, just asking to make sure: Have you checked if the content is hidden (locked) in Excel? Trados by default does not process hidden/locked cells...

(BTW, Jan, have you received my "problematic" inx file?)

Jarek

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hidden but still visible?! Apr 20, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:

You probably did, just asking to make sure: Have you checked if the content is hidden (locked) in Excel? Trados by default does not process hidden/locked cells...

(BTW, Jan, have you received my "problematic" inx file?)

Jarek

Thanks Jarek,

I'll check, but can content be "hidden" but still appear visible and editable in front of my eyes?

I know the standard commands for hiding/unhiding columns (and applying filter settings in Trados to skip those hidden columns), but is the function you mention something else?!

I did get your mail, but I've just been so busy. I'll have a look at it again!

/Jan

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
This is it... Apr 20, 2007

No new function, I thought you wouldn't miss that one...

It is just I remember that I had once problems with the combination of functions: "Format/Protection/Lock" for cells and the protection of the sheet/document itself. That is, some cells were marked as "Locked" and, although editable in Excel (as the sheet/document were not protected), there were problems with their import.

It might not be the case at all, just thought it might be worth checking.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados counts Excel tab names only?!

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »