Mobile menu

SDL Trados Certification--what's the value?
Thread poster: overseas

overseas
Local time: 04:49
English to Korean
+ ...
Apr 20, 2007

My experience tells me that there are more and more translation companies request their freelance translator to work with TagEditor along with Translator's Workbench these days.
Having been using these two components of the software for several years, I am quite familiar with whatever I need to know to get my work done.
Now I'd like to know what you would expect to learn/know if you decided to get SDL Trados certified. Do you think it worth getting certified? How much do you think the investment will benefit your bottom line? Do you think translation companies will be more willing to work with an SDL Trados certified translator than who is not?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not now, but I think it will come Apr 20, 2007

overseas wrote:

My experience tells me that there are more and more translation companies request their freelance translator to work with TagEditor along with Translator's Workbench these days.
Having been using these two components of the software for several years, I am quite familiar with whatever I need to know to get my work done.

Exactly the same were my thoughts, but I was proven wrong. This is fairly NOT enough to pass the certification. You may achieve interemediate or even advanced level with this knowledge, but will not go through the certification.
For the certification a deeper knowledge is necessary, It is more - or sometimes a different kind - knowledge as I could gather while using Trados Freelance.

Now I'd like to know what you would expect to learn/know if you decided to get SDL Trados certified. Do you think it worth getting certified? How much do you think the investment will benefit your bottom line? Do you think translation companies will be more willing to work with an SDL Trados certified translator than who is not?

Well, it was and is still widely advertised.
I took the placement exams just out of curiosity and have at once reached the advanced level, so I was hoping to pass the certification exam without any problems. As already stated above, I was proven wrong.
Why I did the certification? Because I wanted to provide trainings.
Only for the translation business I would wait with it. This is not mandatory at the moment and until now no one asked for that, but things will change I think. We do have a lot of competitors, so this might become a way of signalising own ability, a kind of weapon I don't know.
However, I must admit, I do feel better now, since I'm certified. And maybe it is worth doing just for this feeling.

Jerzy

[Edited at 2007-04-20 21:17]

overseas
Local time: 04:49
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Much appreciated! Apr 21, 2007

Thanks for your candid opinion, Jerzy. And why do I find myself agreeing with you?
Well, I might just go ahead and take the exam placement and then eventually, hopefully, to get certified, jus to challenge myself.
Your thought is much appreicated!

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:49
English to Spanish
renewal? Apr 21, 2007

Hello

I have been thinking about doing this for several reasons also, one of them being that it would set me goals to learn what I have never had to learn about SDL Trados and SDLX so far. However, due to budget constraints, I am concerned about one issue that maybe you Jerzy could help me to understand (as current information on SDL site does not solve my query).

I downloaded some PDFs from the SDL website on certification ages ago; in them they mentioned something about certificate renewal and how the certificate expires, and how you have to get a new certificate when a new SDL Trados version is released.

Could you please explain a bit about this? It was not phrased cristal clear on the PDF I have. Is renewal compulsory? Do certificates become invalid after a while (eg. one year)?

The bit in the PDF to which I am referring to is the following:

"Renewing your Certification
Your SDL TRADOS Certification is specific to the latest current version of SDL Trados translation memory tools and is valid for
60 days after a new exam is published for any new product version release. SDL TRADOS will email you with the details about
new SDL TRADOS exams as well as a reminder of when your certification is due for renewal."

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who can enlighten me on this one! Given that it is pretty expensive to do the Advanced exam (let alone if you have to do the others and pay for the learning material), I would not like to take it, get a certificate, only to find out later that it is going to be valid for a very short period of time...

Kind regards,

Marta

[Edited at 2007-04-21 17:38]

Hermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:49
English to German
+ ...
Only if you have nothing better to do Apr 22, 2007

overseas wrote:

Are your current clients happy with your work? If so, why should they drop you just because you are not certified? After all you have been using Trados for a long time and know enough to handle the day-to-day requirements of your agency clients. (For direct clients it is neither here or there).

If on the other hand you wish to work as a trainer then you should consider certification and pay and keep on paying till Kingdom come.

But don't let me put you off!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Certification is valid for a specific software version Apr 22, 2007

ie if you certify for SDL Trados 2007, you will have to renew your certificate when SDL Trados 2008 will be released.
I'm not absolutely sure, but IMHO should remain SDL Trados 2007 certified. This needs clarification - and most probably will be clarified, as the certification process is quite a new one, so there is not much experience on this.

Jerzy

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 12:49
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
I will consider getting certified Apr 22, 2007

only if SDL Trados begins to sell its products only to the users who are certified but no one else.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Certification--what's the value?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs