Formatting problems with INX file
Thread poster: CCCam (X)
CCCam (X)
CCCam (X)
Local time: 12:27
Dutch
Apr 24, 2007

How can I translate this to Dutch the fastest way?
All the text broke to a new parameter, and the text has its own font style!!
How can I translate this with the correct font style, in good order without overriding those font styles!?

Got a project with has a lot of this kind of styles, symbols and complex tables.
Everything is broken down like the example below…
And as you know some text in other language is 1 text (like Dutch , User Guide = Gebruikersaan
... See more
How can I translate this to Dutch the fastest way?
All the text broke to a new parameter, and the text has its own font style!!
How can I translate this with the correct font style, in good order without overriding those font styles!?

Got a project with has a lot of this kind of styles, symbols and complex tables.
Everything is broken down like the example below…
And as you know some text in other language is 1 text (like Dutch , User Guide = Gebruikersaanwijzing) keep the bold text?

I need the fastest way to do this correctly…
If someone can explain, I would be grateful!

Example:
Today is April 23, 2007 ~ Nice Weather.
User Guide?

April=bold
23=italic
Nice= Italic Bold
User=bold

The coded text in inx would look like this:

c_Today is

c_April

c_

c_23

c_, 2007

c_~

c_

c_Nice

c_ Weather.

c_User

c_ Guide?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-04-24 19:41]
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:57
Swedish to English
+ ...
INX file ? Apr 24, 2007

I am not sure I really understand your problem -- or is it an InDesign INX file?

If so, do you have at least Trados 7.1, and are you loading the file into TagEditor? It is then easy to handle -- but you need to read the Trados User Guide.

CCCam (X)
CCCam (X)
Local time: 12:27
Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
yes Inx Apr 24, 2007

Peter Linton wrote:

I am not sure I really understand your problem -- or is it an InDesign INX file?

yes sorry - i thought i had put that info on it - half of the post is missing

its a inx file from cs2

will the problem solved in tagEdidtor?

all the tags currently is splitted since all used different styles.
the thing i am affraid is the styles get messed up, when you have to change the order of the sentence and...

in the document are tons of symbols used, soo much complex tables, bolds in text, bullets etc.. everything just splitted in tags and makes it hard to translate..

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:57
Swedish to English
+ ...
Tags Apr 24, 2007

TagEditor is specially designed to make it easy and safe to handle INX files.

It shows you only the text you need to translate. All the formatting and style information is concealed in tags that you cannot edit.

RTFM, or as we say in English, Read the Manual.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:57
English to Swedish
+ ...
Prepare the file in Indesign before translation Apr 25, 2007

CCCam wrote:

Peter Linton wrote:

yes sorry - i thought i had put that info on it - half of the post is missing

its a inx file from cs2

will the problem solved in tagEdidtor?

all the tags currently is splitted since all used different styles.
the thing i am affraid is the styles get messed up, when you have to change the order of the sentence and...

in the document are tons of symbols used, soo much complex tables, bolds in text, bullets etc.. everything just splitted in tags and makes it hard to translate..

Hi CCCam,

The issue you describe is very relevant, and affect us too. It's not just a matter of reading the manual!

You can either merge/overwrite those internal tags straight in TagEditor, if they confuse you when composing sentences in different word order. But it's still very time consuming.

The quick'n dirty way to handle this is to prepare the file in Indesign first. There's a command called "remove all overrides" or something similar. This will delete a lot of tags.

Or be draconic: open all stories in the Indesign text editor view (Ctrl-Y) and apply "normal text" to the entire document.

A search/replace for unnecessary linebreaks and paragraph breaks will also clean up a lot of tags.

If you want to preserve italics, bold etc, you'll need to reapply those styles after translation.

Basically, there's no quick workaround this problem. Ideally, the translator should be in very close cooperation with the designer who does the original layout to avoid all these pointless overrides (kerning, spacing etc) , but that's rarely the case. Too bad, but we have to live with it...

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting problems with INX file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »