Transfer of translation memory to new computer
Thread poster: David Sch

David Sch
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:20
Dutch to German
Apr 24, 2007

Hi,

I have bought a new computer and now I want to transfer my Trados translation memory. Is it sufficient to simply export it from the old and import it at the new computer or will I miss information (fonts, etc.) if I do so? Should I better take the 5 files (.iix, .mdf, .mtf, .mwf, .tmw) and copy them to the new computer?

Thanks,
David
(Trados 7.0.0.615)

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 19:20
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
if your TM is named foobar... Apr 24, 2007

...then simply copy foobar.* (should be five files) to the new location. There's nothing you can lose.

And of course, keeping backups makes always sense - TM is an asset, the bigger it is, the more it hurts to lose anything.

Regards
Vito

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:20
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
all Apr 24, 2007

David Schmidhofer wrote:

Hi,

I have bought a new computer and now I want to transfer my Trados translation memory. Is it sufficient to simply export it from the old and import it at the new computer or will I miss information (fonts, etc.) if I do so? Should I better take the 5 files (.iix, .mdf, .mtf, .mwf, .tmw) and copy them to the new computer?

Thanks,
David
(Trados 7.0.0.615)

You better pack all these files into a zip and transfer them. The tmw alone is not sufficient. At least my clients want me to send them all along with the translations.
Cheers
Heinrich

David Sch
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:20
Dutch to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 24, 2007

Okay, thanks a lot.
David

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:20
English to Indonesian
+ ...
export the tm Apr 25, 2007

or you can export the tm to either txt or tmx.

Hermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:20
English to German
+ ...
Doppelt hält besser! Apr 25, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:
And of course, keeping backups makes always sense

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transfer of translation memory to new computer

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs