Thread poster: Olaf Reibedanz

Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:59
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 25, 2007

Hi again,

Just some questions in order to better understand how Trados handles fuzzy matches: When I move from segment to segment by hitting the "Set/Close next Open/Get" button, the TM sometimes offers me words or sentences and writes them into the target segment.

Can anybody explain me the underlying "rules" and "mechanisms"? Precisely, I would like to know:

(1) What is the degree of concordance required for a word/sentence to be inserted automatically in this way?

(2) Or is the required degree of concordance customizable, like in Deja Vu? If so, how do I change it?

To give you two precise examples: What would the TM do in the following situation:

Example 1:

Already existing TM entry:
Source: "the small red boat"
Target: "das kleine rote Boot"

Text to translate (50% concordance with TM)
Source: "the big white boat"
Target: What would the TM offer me here?

Example 2:

Already existing TM entry:
Source: "This is my house."
Target: "Dies ist mein Haus."

Text to translate (75% concordance with TM):
Source: "This is my car."
Target: What would the TM offer me here?

Many thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2007-04-25 02:27]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Local time: 15:59
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
degree of concordance for automated insertion Apr 25, 2007

... can be adjusted in Translation memory options/penalties ( down to the minimum of 30%). So "the big white boat" will not pass, but "the small white boat" does and so does "This is my car" - ofr course you need to correct the target.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:59
English to French
+ ...
Much the same as Deja Vu Apr 25, 2007

This works pretty much the same way as Deja Vu.

The minimum match value is 30% - you will never get fuzzy matches below 30%. You can customize this value anywhere between 30 and 100% by going to Options > Translation Memory Options > General.

As for your examples, it is simple.

This is from the Workbench help file:

Colours for Identifying Differences
To allow the translator to see the differences between the source segment and its fuzzy match equivalent from translation memory as quickly and easily as possible, changed words are highlighted in different colours. The following conventions are used:

is used for all words that were replaced in a certain part of the segment. For example, if a different product name is used in the source segment than in the fuzzy-match equivalent from translation memory, both product names are shown in yellow.

is used to identify all words that have either been added or left out in the source segment. That is, these words make the source segment longer or shorter than the fuzzy match equivalent. As a general rule, the translation of these words must be adapted accordingly. As a consequence, if something has been added to the new source segment, you probably have to add the corresponding words to the suggested translation. Likewise, if something has been left out in the source segment, you have to delete the corresponding parts in the suggested translation as well.

Indicates that a part of the segment has moved. A clause like for instance can occur in several different places in the segment without changing its meaning. This means that frequently the suggested translation does not need further adaptation.

As a rule, punctuation at the end of a sentence appears in blue.

For the examples, it would be complicated to explain them here - I wish there was a white board in the forum!

I suggest to experiment with sentences like the ones you proposed - they are perfect for the purpose.

All the best!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does Trados handle fuzzy matches?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs