Mobile menu

Converting .inx to .ttx for users of older Trados and back to .inx
Thread poster: JerrilynnL
JerrilynnL
Local time: 14:25
English
Apr 25, 2007

I should preface this with the fact that I am not the translator, I am the DTP person trying working with the translators. I also just installed SDL Trados last week.

I have an InDesign CS2 file that is not able to work with the older StoryCollector (exporting to CS1 etc). It has a bug in it that we are unable to find, which crashes the file on import. It does work fine with Trados 7.1 and above and translating using the .inx files has been successful.

However, a couple of the translators I am working with have older versions of Trados. I tried to open the file in my version 6.5 freelance (I also have 8.0), convert it to .ttx. They had no problems translating but now that it is back, I am unable to convert it back to .inx. I have tried in both 6.5 and 8.0. The original .inx file is in the same folder as the translated file, but when I try to Save As Target out of either version, I get an error:

Unexpected Tag'' has been encountered at Controls
''
'

Direct link Reply with quote

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:25
Member (2004)
English to Polish
"Translate" the file yourself... Apr 25, 2007

The problem with the .inx filter (among other things...) is that two consecutive conversions to ttx might give different results... I do not know whether it depends on the computer, the weather or anything else, but it does happen.

Here is the procedure I would recommend in your case:

1. Proceed as you describe until you have the translated ttx.
2. Clean the ttx you receive from the translators so that you have the final version in your TM.
3. Convert the inx again to ttx on your machine.
4. Translate it automatically with the TM (beware some glitches, such as identical segments with different translations, numerals, etc.). You might see that some segments are, surprisingly, not matched 100% (but they will be around 90%-99%, so you still get your translated segment).
5. Export to target inx.

I would strongly recommend sending the PDF back to the translators for final checking - I never trust automatic TM translations...

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Beware of internal style tags Apr 25, 2007

Hi all,

I second Jabberwock's suggested workflow, it's the only simple way out of this mess, at this point of time at least. But depending on how the translator handled internal InDesign tags (for styles, exceptions, kerning, spacing etc) within the segments, you might find that your TM matches are very poor when applied to the initial TTX.

The bottom line is: don't translate INX in older versions of Trados, even if someone is kind enough to create a TTX.

Another clever variety has been suggested here on the forum too:
If you have InDesign CS installed, you can make a 2-step conversion by opening the INX in CS, re-save as ISC, and send out the ISC to the translator instead. Voila, now the file is compatible with 6.5 and above! After re-import, the resulting INDD file from CS can be opened and automatically converted in CS2.

When desperate, I have even achieved better results by creating a PDF, OCR'ing the text with Abbyy Finereader, send the basic unformatted text to the translator for raw translation, and then - with the TM from the translator - running a "translate to fuzzy" on the original TTX just like Jabberwock above.

This might seem very backward to actually take a detour over a third party program, but Abbyy has such a simple and efficient output, stripping away all manual line breaks and styles, that it's worth it.

Just my 2c worth...

/Jan

JerrilynnL
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the ideas! Apr 26, 2007

We've had three languages work. Ends up the two languages that aren't working are both using Trados 7.5. (The ones that were successful used 7.1 and 7.5) so the older file isn't even a question.

The two that aren't working are unable to clean the file. They've tried all manners including the retranslated to a new .inx file as suggested here.

I would LOVE to use the backup of saving down to CS1 and using StoryCollector but unfortunately this particular file has a bug in it that doesn't allow the .isc to reimport. I am not sure that bug is a factor here since 3 of the 5 files have worked.

The tough thing is trying to coordinate between myself, the remote translators and the project manager to figure this out.

Thanks again for your suggestions...

Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TMX export? Apr 27, 2007

To clear things up a bit:

If I understand it correctly, you can yourself import the inx file to ttx and then back to inx without problems? Also with one translated file?

If so, ask your translators to provide you with the export of the TM (tmx or workbench) and then autotranslate the files with Trados, as I have described above...

JerrilynnL
English
TOPIC STARTER
TTX to inx Apr 27, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:

To clear things up a bit:

If I understand it correctly, you can yourself import the inx file to ttx and then back to inx without problems? Also with one translated file?

If so, ask your translators to provide you with the export of the TM (tmx or workbench) and then autotranslate the files with Trados, as I have described above...

Hi Jabberwock,
No, I am not able to Save Bilingual as INX from the TTX. I have tried putting the original .inx I sent to translation in the folder. The successful languages were exported back to .inx by the translators themselves. However, the unsuccessful are also being attempted by the translators. This is what makes this tough to troubleshoot as these are people all over the place. I'm trying to be the go-between with the individual translators and the project manager.

My PM did try the steps you provided with the TMs from those translators and still ran into the various error messages.

Unfortunately we're having trouble figuring out what the translators did who were succesful and be able to explain it to those who were not successful. There's some step missing somewhere.

Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Still thinking... Apr 27, 2007

JerrilynnL wrote:

Hi Jabberwock,
No, I am not able to Save Bilingual as INX from the TTX. I have tried putting the original .inx I sent to translation in the folder.

"Save Bilingual"? But you are supposed to "Save as target", if you want to get the translated inx?

Another thing to try is to import the inx to ttx, and then immediately save it back (as target!) to inx. If it fails, it means there is a problem with the inx filter itself and there is little that can be done about it... If it goes through, you might try translating portions of the file (with the TM provided by translators) and maybe you will be able to spot the place where it fails.

If there is just one or several places where the translation cannot be saved, you can go to story editor and translate it with T-Window for Clipboard. But it is so time consuming there is no way it can be used for large portions (let alone whole files).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting .inx to .ttx for users of older Trados and back to .inx

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs