Mobile menu

Urgent! Trados 6.5 error message: "-2147417851 Le serveur a généré une exception"
Thread poster: Alexa Dubreuil

Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:58
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Apr 25, 2007

Hello

I urgently need your help on this as I'm in the middle of a large translation due within a tight deadline (the usual really).

As usual I am working in Word 2002 using Trados 6.5 (I have never experienced this problem before), and Word keeps crashing for no reason, each time I get to specific sentences.

Yesterday I had found a way around this problem by removing all formatting but my job being so large I don't have enough time to recreate all the formatting once the translation is completed. And it just seems like a big waste of time.

I am therefore trying to translate the files as they are (preserving the formatting) but, as I said, Word keeps crashing.

I have analysed the file in Trados and I have noticed I get this message "-2147417851 Le serveur a généré une exception", which, for non-French speakers, translates into "the server has generated an exception".

I don't know what it means and most importantly I don't know how to fix this.

Please help!
Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 05:58
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Auto Correct? Apr 26, 2007

Hi Alexa,
Hope this isn't too late!
According to SDL the error is caused by a security patch from Microsoft. The patch, which is installed in automatic Windows/Office updates, changes the Rich Text Format (RTF) communication layer which affects communication between Word and Translator's Workbench.

Go here:

http://tinyurl.com/2qxmpy

and follow their instructions. It should fix the problem.
Basically Auto Correct and Trados do not get on at all. I recommend simply leaving all of your auto correct functions off, they won't affect your formatting and they will stop the errors!

Hope that works!
Good luck! All the best
Owen

Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:58
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it's not too late Apr 26, 2007

Dear Owen

Thank you for your reply but I have Trados 6.5 and on the link you gave me it says the following: "For Trados version 7.x install attached patch according to the instructions in the TXT file. Do not use this patch with any earlier version."

I have tried the second option suggested on that website(Disabling Smart Tags in Word document before executing batch processes) but this doesn't change the problem.
I still get the error message in Trados workbench and my Word document keeps crashing.

For now the only solution I have found is (be ready for this one as it's slightly absurd!) is copy the text of the Word document in a Plain Text ("texte brute) message in MS Outlook, and then I copy this plain text back into Word (instead of the old text) and reapply the correct formatting myself...

I just thought I should mention this "stone age" method of mine in case somebody encounters the same problem and faces the same level of desperation!

Thanks for your help.

Alexa

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 05:58
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Macro Clean? Apr 27, 2007

Dear Alexa,

Sorry that didn't help. I'm just wondering if this error is occurring when you are trying to clean up the file?
If so it might be worth using the Trados Macro clean function to force a cleanup instead.
Make sure that track changes isn't turned on, if it was on, accept all changes.
Then clean the Word doc by going to:
Tools -> Macro -> Macros
And select - "tw4winClean.main" from the list and Run.

I've had this error before during CleanUp and this worked for me. It cleans the document and retains all formatting.
Let us know how you get on!
Good luck!
Owen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent! Trados 6.5 error message: "-2147417851 Le serveur a généré une exception"

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs