Zeynep YESIN YALCIN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:27
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Apr 28, 2007

Dear Forum members,

I have an file in .indd (Adobe InDesign CS2 ME) format in English and would like to insert my translation in Turkish on this file by again using InDesign. While inserting my Turkish translations, I would like to create Translation Memory for this by using TRADOS and Work Bench. Is it possible to create such Translation Memory?

Awaiting your comments from technical point of view.

Kind Regards

Zeynep

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:27
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, you can. Apr 28, 2007

I have just completed 3 .indd files translation from English to Chinese.
You can open the file with Indesign CS2 and import it as .inx file, then open the .inx file with Tageditor. When you complete translation, you can save the translated file as .inx file again with Tageditor. Then open the translated .inx file with Indesign CS2 and adjust the layout and change font, save the .inx file as .indd file in Indesign.
When you open the .inx file with Tageditor, there would generate a .t
... See more
I have just completed 3 .indd files translation from English to Chinese.
You can open the file with Indesign CS2 and import it as .inx file, then open the .inx file with Tageditor. When you complete translation, you can save the translated file as .inx file again with Tageditor. Then open the translated .inx file with Indesign CS2 and adjust the layout and change font, save the .inx file as .indd file in Indesign.
When you open the .inx file with Tageditor, there would generate a .ttx file, you can clean-up it with Workbench to create your Translation Memory.
It should be OK.

Enjoy!

Han Li
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:27
English to Swedish
+ ...
More INX tips Apr 28, 2007

Han Li wrote:
You can open the file with Indesign CS2 and import it as .inx file, then open the .inx file with Tageditor.

It should read EXPORT (Ctrl+E), but apart from that, Han Li's instruction is spot on. Very convenient, especially for large jobs.

NOTE: you'll need Trados 7.1 or later to open INX files. Don't mess around with older Trados versions, you won't be able to clean your translation.

To facilitate the segmentation, there are several preparatory steps you can do in InDesign before the export:
- search/replace unnecessary manual line breaks, hard hyphens and and paragraph chars.
- clear all "exceptions" (to get rid of style formatting exceptions that the layouter might have done)
- delete scrap objects on the pasteboard outside the actual document.
- take a look on the Trados Filter Settings for more ideas, like whether there are locked or hidden layers.

Search the forum here for INX, and you'll get more hints.

Enjoy!

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-04-28 22:12]

[Edited at 2007-04-28 22:12]

[Edited at 2007-04-28 22:14]

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:27
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks! Apr 29, 2007

Jan Sundström wrote:

Han Li wrote:
You can open the file with Indesign CS2 and import it as .inx file, then open the .inx file with Tageditor.

It should read EXPORT (Ctrl+E), but apart from that, Han Li's instruction is spot on. Very convenient, especially for large jobs.

You are right. The "import" should be "export".
Thank you for your correction.

Regards,
Han Li

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

InDesign CS2 and TRADOS

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »