Nina Ouadia
Nina Ouadia  Identity Verified
Morocco
Local time: 16:41
English to German
+ ...
May 2, 2007

Dear all,

I have to decide whether to buy SDLX or stay with an older Trados version. So I would like to know if anyone of you is really convinced of SDLX and would recommend using it.
Thank you!

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Local time: 17:41
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Dear Nadia May 2, 2007

after long years of Trados use, a couple of years ago I decided for SDLX.

It's more reliable and can easily manage large documents (with pics, diagrams, etc), without need to split them. If you make a change in a segment, it will auto-propagate to the following text, without need to change it manually.

There is no need to clean the document either, since it produces a ready-made document, leaving the source format unchanged (which is not always the case with Trados).... See more
after long years of Trados use, a couple of years ago I decided for SDLX.

It's more reliable and can easily manage large documents (with pics, diagrams, etc), without need to split them. If you make a change in a segment, it will auto-propagate to the following text, without need to change it manually.

There is no need to clean the document either, since it produces a ready-made document, leaving the source format unchanged (which is not always the case with Trados).

I would not go back to Trados, although I have a 7.0 version.
Collapse

Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
First I hated it - now I love it ;-) May 2, 2007

Hello Nina,
my favourite agency decided to use SDLX a while ago, so I had to learn and use it. Fortunately I did not have to buy it, because I can use SDLX Lite for free (you can do that if someone provides you with the SDLX files).
I was used to Wordfast, and at first I hated SDLX. The source text is on the left side of the screen, the target on the right, while in Wordfast (and Trados) the target segment is under the source text.
I found the manual horrible and confusing, bu
... See more
Hello Nina,
my favourite agency decided to use SDLX a while ago, so I had to learn and use it. Fortunately I did not have to buy it, because I can use SDLX Lite for free (you can do that if someone provides you with the SDLX files).
I was used to Wordfast, and at first I hated SDLX. The source text is on the left side of the screen, the target on the right, while in Wordfast (and Trados) the target segment is under the source text.
I found the manual horrible and confusing, but now I think that was because there is no special manual for SDLX Lite, and the SDLX manual confers to functions the Lite version does not include.
I moaned and complained a lot, but the agency gave me a lot of support, and finally I got used to it, but still did not like it.
After having worked for quite a while exclusively with SDLX, I got a file where I could use my good old Wordfast again, and happily started translating.
Guess what happened? After a few moments I started to miss several useful functions of SDLX, and that was the moment when I realized I really love SDLX.
I still like Wordfast though, but if I have the choice, I prefer working with SDLX.
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Propagate May 2, 2007

sabina moscatelli wrote:

If you make a change in a segment, it will auto-propagate to the following text, without need to change it manually.

Sorry for the off-topic, but how do you manage that ?
I asked once but had no real answer... if all the text is validated as "translated", when I edit a segment, the 100% similar ones stay the same, because they were validated as "translated"... so how do you propagate the edited segment so that it applies to the validated ones ?

Thanks in advance

As for the initial question: with the new package, you get SDLX and Trados together. If SDLX doesn't convince you, you can easily switch between the two programs.
I must admit that SDLX has great advantages, though I didn't like it at all at the beginning. I had the same reaction as Katrin

Sylvain

[Modifié le 2007-05-02 09:08]

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD
Gianluigi Desogus, PhD  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:41
English to Italian
+ ...
Auto-propagate May 2, 2007

Hello Sylvain,

just go to Tools > Options > Auto-propagate tab and select the Enable Auto-propagate check box. You can choose the level of autopropagation (personally I use 60%).
This way when you edit a segment that is autopropagated to the rest of the document, all the autopropagated segments (100%s and fuzzy) will change accordingly (unless you have confirmed them, i.e. turned them into "blue" segments, in which case you would have to edit them manually).

Also
... See more
Hello Sylvain,

just go to Tools > Options > Auto-propagate tab and select the Enable Auto-propagate check box. You can choose the level of autopropagation (personally I use 60%).
This way when you edit a segment that is autopropagated to the rest of the document, all the autopropagated segments (100%s and fuzzy) will change accordingly (unless you have confirmed them, i.e. turned them into "blue" segments, in which case you would have to edit them manually).

Also to distinguish between 100% autopropagated and 100%s coming from the TM you can choose a different colour for the autopropagated segments (go to Tools > Set colours). I also use different colours for fuzzy autopropagated and fuzzy coming from the TM (again, you can do this in Tools > Set colours).

Hope this helps,

Gigi
Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...

In a idt file:
Tools
Options
Auto-propagate
Enable Auto-propagate (100 or what you want)
Propagate from: First segment
--
Tools
Set Colours
Select Colours
100% Auto-propaged match (the best is 'Restore Defaults'
----

And Nina, I love SDLX...

Geneviève:)

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
Exactly my problem May 2, 2007

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD wrote:

Thank you Gigi, that was exactly my problem and now I know for sure there is no solution. It is a pity to have to edit each segment manually then, the autopropagate should work also on confirmed segments...

Sylvain

Hester Eymers
Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Love it May 2, 2007

Hi Nina,

I work with Wordfast and SDLX, but I prefer SDLX. I like it that source and target text are next to each other (but you can also switch from left-right to top-bottom), because that way I have a better overview of the text I am working on, and searching for a word or phrase you already translated is very easy (you can use separate find-replace windows in the source text and in the target text).

Some clients prefer Trados, so I tried it last week, but that didn'
... See more
Hi Nina,

I work with Wordfast and SDLX, but I prefer SDLX. I like it that source and target text are next to each other (but you can also switch from left-right to top-bottom), because that way I have a better overview of the text I am working on, and searching for a word or phrase you already translated is very easy (you can use separate find-replace windows in the source text and in the target text).

Some clients prefer Trados, so I tried it last week, but that didn't really work: cursor jumping to places where it shouldn't be, program not responding and last but not least: clean up was not complete, so I had to remove several source segments manually.

So I have an off-topic question also: is it possible to work on a Trados (ttx) file in SDLX? (I own SDL Trados 2006).

Kind regards,
Hester
Collapse

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD
Portugal
English to Italian
+ ...

Hi Sylvain,

I'm not quite sure I understand your problem...
From your posting it seems that you confirm (i.e., turn them to "blue" by hitting Return) the 100% autopropagated.

This is not necessary and in fact is counterproductive.

If you do not confirm the 100% autopropagated then, once you edit the first occurrence, the changes you made will be applied automatically to all other occurrences.
So, simply do not confirm the subsequent occurrences
... See more
Hi Sylvain,

I'm not quite sure I understand your problem...
From your posting it seems that you confirm (i.e., turn them to "blue" by hitting Return) the 100% autopropagated.

This is not necessary and in fact is counterproductive.

If you do not confirm the 100% autopropagated then, once you edit the first occurrence, the changes you made will be applied automatically to all other occurrences.
So, simply do not confirm the subsequent occurrences of the autopropagated 100%s and you won't have to edit them all manually.
Collapse

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:41
English to Russian
Deja Vue is better May 2, 2007

Dear Nina,

I work in SDLX, Trados, Transit and now in Deja Vue. Compared to Trados SDLX is indeed more friendly and has the "autopropagate" function which really is very nice as it propagates the translation to the next segments. It also has a convenient method of entering the terms into the Multiterm termbase when you just highlight bith source and target terms and click the "Commit to Multiterm" button. Another feature I like is the ability to change case of the words in the targe
... See more
Dear Nina,

I work in SDLX, Trados, Transit and now in Deja Vue. Compared to Trados SDLX is indeed more friendly and has the "autopropagate" function which really is very nice as it propagates the translation to the next segments. It also has a convenient method of entering the terms into the Multiterm termbase when you just highlight bith source and target terms and click the "Commit to Multiterm" button. Another feature I like is the ability to change case of the words in the target segment. You also don't have to worry about messing with the tags like in Trados as there aren't any. So, when given a choice (when it was not important for the client which software I used) my first choice was SDLX. But now after studying Deja Vue X I will always work in Deja Vue. Like SDLX translation in DVX is done in a special window after the source text is converted into the translatable format (after the translation is completed the file is converted into the target text saving all the source formatting). The translation window is very similar in appearance to that of SDLX. Also DVX has the same "autopropagate" function as SDLX. One crucial difference is that the source formatting in DVX is represented by codes (figures in brackets) while in SDLX it is represented by coloured segments and after conversion of the source text into the translation format it is always very difficult in SDLX to adjust the target text formatting. For this you have to use the "format painting" functionality. And it is always a pain in the butt. In DVX it is much simpler and it has many more functions that SDLX. So, if you can afford I would recommend to consider DVX instead.
Collapse

Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Great GUI May 2, 2007

Nina Ouadia wrote:

Dear all,

I have to decide whether to buy SDLX or stay with an older Trados version. So I would like to know if anyone of you is really convinced of SDLX and would recommend using it.
Thank you!

I've been using SDLX, Trados and Transit.
SDLX has by far the most user friendly GUI and features.
If you are a freelancer and you're mainly interested in the translation editor environment, choosing SDLX (which comes bundled with Trados) is a no-brainer.

When considering other software, you should consider how often they are required by agencies.

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD
Portugal
English to Italian
+ ...
DVX codes / format painting May 2, 2007

Hello Alexey,

I'm not familiar with DVX so I might be missing your point here...

"One crucial difference is that the source formatting in DVX is represented by codes (figures in brackets) while in SDLX it is represented by coloured segments"

In SDLX the source formatting doesn't necessarily need to be displayed as coloured segments (format painting). If you go to View > Tags, you can choose to display it as various kinds of tags. Is that what you mean when
... See more
Hello Alexey,

I'm not familiar with DVX so I might be missing your point here...

"One crucial difference is that the source formatting in DVX is represented by codes (figures in brackets) while in SDLX it is represented by coloured segments"

In SDLX the source formatting doesn't necessarily need to be displayed as coloured segments (format painting). If you go to View > Tags, you can choose to display it as various kinds of tags. Is that what you mean when you say that DVX uses codes instead?

However, I do agree that format painting can sometimes be a real pain...

Gigi
Collapse

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why do you confirm autopropagated segments? May 2, 2007

Hi Sylvain,

Thank you Gigi, that was exactly my problem and now I know for sure there is no solution. It is a pity to have to edit each segment manually then, the autopropagate should work also on confirmed segments...

But why do you confirm autopropagated segments in the first place? I don't see any need to confirm them. Actually, it's rather counterproductive to do so, as you have found out yourself.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would want to do that...

Regards,
Claudia

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
Well May 2, 2007

Claudia Digel wrote:

But why do you confirm autopropagated segments in the first place? I don't see any need to confirm them. Actually, it's rather counterproductive to do so, as you have found out yourself.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would want to do that...

Well, I'll try to be as clear as possible...
When I come further in my file, I confirm each segment once translated. When a new segment is translated, it is "autopropagated" in the whole file. So, when I come to this very segment (let's assume it was a 100% match), I confirm it too, naturally. Or don't you confirm each segment when you translate an itd-file, before creating the target ?

So, when i am proofreading my itd and I need to edit a segment, I would like that all the 100% similar segments are automatically edited too...

Hope it's clear...

Edit : OK, Gigi has answered in the meantime... I really thought that I HAD to confirm EACH segment... thak you all for your patience, and sorry for the off-topic!

Thanks a lot

[Modifié le 2007-05-02 10:34]

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD
Portugal
English to Italian
+ ...
Confirming 100% autopropagated May 2, 2007

"When I come further in my file, I confirm each segment once translated. When a new segment is translated, it is "autopropagated" in the whole file. So, when I come to this very segment (let's assume it was a 100% match), I confirm it too, naturally. Or don't you confirm each segment when you translate an itd-file, before creating the target ?

that's where you go wrong... you shouldn't confirm the 100% autopropagated at all.
In fact if you use a different colour (from the sta
... See more
"When I come further in my file, I confirm each segment once translated. When a new segment is translated, it is "autopropagated" in the whole file. So, when I come to this very segment (let's assume it was a 100% match), I confirm it too, naturally. Or don't you confirm each segment when you translate an itd-file, before creating the target ?

that's where you go wrong... you shouldn't confirm the 100% autopropagated at all.
In fact if you use a different colour (from the standard gold) for your 100% autopropagated segments, you can simply skip them during your review as you've already reviewed the first occurrence and you won't need to do the same again (assuming that the translation is "context-free", sometimes it may be indeed necessary to change a 100% as it is displayed in a different context, but generally this is not the case)

Hope this helps...

Gigi
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX - Can anybody recommend it?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »