Michelle Welchons
Michelle Welchons
United States
Local time: 08:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 5, 2007

hello everyone!

i'm working with Trados 7 and Word 2002. it's a very simple document, no weird formatting or anything. i had several problems while doing the translation where word crashed every time i tried to translate certain blocks of text. now I am trying to clean up the document, and i am getting the "the sever threw an exception" message.

i researched this on other posts and did the forced cleanup using Macro on one file and then turned off the smart tags on an
... See more
hello everyone!

i'm working with Trados 7 and Word 2002. it's a very simple document, no weird formatting or anything. i had several problems while doing the translation where word crashed every time i tried to translate certain blocks of text. now I am trying to clean up the document, and i am getting the "the sever threw an exception" message.

i researched this on other posts and did the forced cleanup using Macro on one file and then turned off the smart tags on another. both times that i cleaned these files up, i lost the use of my mouse on the files. i can't scroll up or down or click anywhere on the document. any ideas?

one problem leads to another...

thanks!!
Collapse

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:18
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
I had the same problem last year May 5, 2007

and found that closing the document down and re-opening it usually did the trick (sounds simple, I know, but it worked for me).

I never did get to the bottom of why this happened (and it used to happen all the time) - but it taught me to always save two copies of the bilingual document so that when (on the odd occassion) the server/trados throws an exception (and consequently deletes the bilingual file) I have another file, which I can manually clean.

Absolutely no idea
... See more
and found that closing the document down and re-opening it usually did the trick (sounds simple, I know, but it worked for me).

I never did get to the bottom of why this happened (and it used to happen all the time) - but it taught me to always save two copies of the bilingual document so that when (on the odd occassion) the server/trados throws an exception (and consequently deletes the bilingual file) I have another file, which I can manually clean.

Absolutely no idea why the mouse stops responding but as per above, closing and re-opening the document usually restores its functionality.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2007-05-05 12:58]
Collapse

Michelle Welchons
Michelle Welchons
United States
Local time: 08:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
found another solution May 5, 2007

Hi Ivana,

Thanks for your reply. I actually tried that and it didn't work (I know...) so I ended up copying the document, closing Word, re-opening Word and pasting the document onto a blank page. That worked.

Does anyone else get as fed up with Trados as I do?

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 14:18
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
My experience May 5, 2007

Usually, when I get the thrown exception it is due to Word.

In order to be able to clean up a file, it must be completely "released" by Word, which it apparently not always does.

(One indication sometimes is that temporary backup files created by Word when you save the open file during work are not deleted upon closind the file.)

My solution is not only to close Word (which often does not shut it down completely), but also open the Windows Task Manager and
... See more
Usually, when I get the thrown exception it is due to Word.

In order to be able to clean up a file, it must be completely "released" by Word, which it apparently not always does.

(One indication sometimes is that temporary backup files created by Word when you save the open file during work are not deleted upon closind the file.)

My solution is not only to close Word (which often does not shut it down completely), but also open the Windows Task Manager and shut down the Word application under the tab Processes. After that, everything work just as it should.

I'm not sure what causes it, but once it while it happens.

(However, I'm using Word 2000, and they might have fixed that problem... )
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:18
English to German
+ ...
Word issue? May 5, 2007

Thanks for your reply. I actually tried that and it didn't work (I know...) so I ended up copying the document, closing Word, re-opening Word and pasting the document onto a blank page. That worked.

Which, as Heike pointed out, would indicate that the problem was with the Word file.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

server threw exception / mouse stops working

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »