https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/72252-how_to_define_text_untranslatable_in_trados_simply.html

How to define text untranslatable in Trados - SIMPLY?
Thread poster: Levente Bodrossy Dr.
Levente Bodrossy Dr.
Levente Bodrossy Dr.  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:51
English to Hungarian
+ ...
May 5, 2007

In WordFast one can define a style (using PlusTools I think) which is then not touched during translation - it is skipped. For example one can set this for the 25% grey background colour. Then one needs only to format segments and paragraphs accordingly to make sure they are not translated.

I am now trying to do the same in Trados. (I have to use Trados as it is a requirement by the agency. ) I have a table with error messages where the messages themselves should not be translated.
... See more
In WordFast one can define a style (using PlusTools I think) which is then not touched during translation - it is skipped. For example one can set this for the 25% grey background colour. Then one needs only to format segments and paragraphs accordingly to make sure they are not translated.

I am now trying to do the same in Trados. (I have to use Trados as it is a requirement by the agency. ) I have a table with error messages where the messages themselves should not be translated. Leaving them in English in the translation messes up the TM.

Could anyone please help with a simple and straightforward method to do this in Trados? I spent the last hour trying to decipher the help file on untranslatable paragraphs, internal and external texts and styles in Word.

There is something truly pervert in the way the combination of Microsoft Word and Trados makes one's life hard.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why? May 5, 2007

Levente Bodrossy Dr. wrote:
There is something truly pervert in the way the combination of Microsoft Word and Trados makes one's life hard.

There is in fact no big difference to Wordfast.
If you are able to put text on 25% grey background and define this as non-translatable text in WF, so I strongly assume you will also be able to assign the tw4winExternal style to such text.

I don't know how your table looks like, but certainly you'll find a method to assign this particular style (this is a character, not paragraph styloe). Should your document not have such style, you have to add it. Press ALT+F8, then insert "sa" in the macro name field and let the macro sAddTagStyles run.

If you need further assistance or would wish to send me your file as example (maybe I'll find a way how to do that), please contact me via my profile.

Best
Jerzy

Levente Bodrossy Dr.
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Getting there.. May 5, 2007

Dear Jerzy,

Many thanks, now that I know of that macro, it is really simple to get the extra styles added.

Now the only trouble is, that I need to keep the original format of the text. Sure enough, the not-to-translate part consists of different styles. I can of course note the different characters for the different bits, but it would be nice to be able to define a style which can be easily undone at the end (this is why I really preferred that grey highlight feature,
... See more
Dear Jerzy,

Many thanks, now that I know of that macro, it is really simple to get the extra styles added.

Now the only trouble is, that I need to keep the original format of the text. Sure enough, the not-to-translate part consists of different styles. I can of course note the different characters for the different bits, but it would be nice to be able to define a style which can be easily undone at the end (this is why I really preferred that grey highlight feature, I could at the end just select all and remove all highlights).

Do you have a solution for this perhaps?

You see, this is the problem, it is everything possible in Trados, but to find it on the first instance one needs to spend ages, find the right person (thanks again) or go on a course.

Kind regards,
Lev
Collapse

Levente Bodrossy Dr.
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I got it May 5, 2007

The solution is to go to Format/Styles in Word, select the style "tw4winExternal", click Modify, Format, Font and delete the entry from the font box.

This way applying the style does not change the font, only the colour - and this can be easily undone at the end by selecting all and setting font colour to black (except of course if there are fonts of other colour in the text, but this is not the case for me).

Many thanks for your quick help, Jerzy!

Kind reg
... See more
The solution is to go to Format/Styles in Word, select the style "tw4winExternal", click Modify, Format, Font and delete the entry from the font box.

This way applying the style does not change the font, only the colour - and this can be easily undone at the end by selecting all and setting font colour to black (except of course if there are fonts of other colour in the text, but this is not the case for me).

Many thanks for your quick help, Jerzy!

Kind regards,

Lev

PS: I don't know what the style is used for, depending on this there may be complications arising...
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Exactly - modyfiyng this style is the right way May 6, 2007

After you are finished simply delete this style from the styles list - and everything formatted with it will return to how it was before.

This particular style is used to format external TAGs, which per default are not translated and kept OUTSIDE the segments.

You could also go a different way - creating your own character styles, applying them to non translatable text and then adding to the list of non translatable styles in Trados Workbench (setup - non translatable t
... See more
After you are finished simply delete this style from the styles list - and everything formatted with it will return to how it was before.

This particular style is used to format external TAGs, which per default are not translated and kept OUTSIDE the segments.

You could also go a different way - creating your own character styles, applying them to non translatable text and then adding to the list of non translatable styles in Trados Workbench (setup - non translatable text). But this would be the more complicated way.

You see, this is the problem, it is everything possible in Trados, but to find it on the first instance one needs to spend ages, find the right person (thanks again) or go on a course.

Isn't it the same with Wordfast? Either you know or you have to ask. So really, I do not see a big difference between them both.

Anyway, I'm glad you could find a satisfactory solution.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to define text untranslatable in Trados - SIMPLY?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »