Mobile menu

Modifying Trados shortcuts
Thread poster: Levente Bodrossy Dr.

Levente Bodrossy Dr.  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:31
English to Hungarian
+ ...
May 8, 2007

I am working with the SDL Trados Freelance 2006 package.

I wonder if there is a simple method to modify the shortcuts? I.e., using the numeric keyboard is a nightmare with a laptop.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marion Lurf  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:31
English to German
+ ...
How to do it in MS Word May 8, 2007

Hello Levente,

Here's how you can modify Trados shortcuts (and others) in MS Word:
In the Tools menu - I think this is what it's called in English; in my German Office it's "Extras" - go to Customize and then click on Keyboard in the bottom. In this new window you can edit all your shortcuts. For the ones specific to Trados Workbench, select "Macros" in the "Categories" menu on the left-hand side and then scroll down on the right until you find the tw4win macros. Enter and assign your desired shortcuts - that's all.

Any more complicated matters, please wait for Jerzy Czopik.

HTH,
Marion

English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 9, 2007

Thank you, Marion!

Any more complicated matters, please wait for Jerzy Czopik.

I do as I am currently struggling with the CTRL+ALT+S in TagEditor, already getting a strain...

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, you don't even need to reassign shortucts :) May 9, 2007

Any notebook I know has a "Fn" key.
Often it has a different colour and switches additional functions for keyboard keys. Those functions are printed on the keys in the same colour as the Fn key.

The above picture shows a PowerBook from Apple. Within the red cicrcle you can see the Fn key, and the green square marks the corresponding keyboard keys. In its right lower corner you see also a key marked with the "+" sign. You will also notice a key with "*" sign on it (I mean additional sign, in the same colour as Fn key).
Now in order to use Trados (or any other) shortcuts, instead of pressing the shortcut as on PC, press Fn and then the shortcut, using the integrated "num pad" (those part of keyboard, which is within the green square). AFAIK this works for any notebook. As the order or pressing the keys may play a role (for example with a Toshiba laptop you have to press Fn first, while on a Vaio it doesn't matter) I would always press Fn first.

HTH
Jerzy

PS
@Marion: Thank you for your trust and kind words

English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks, Jerzy! I know it is possible, but ... May 9, 2007

... I would prefer a simpler shortcut though. The problem with this is, that at the end of each segment one needs to press Fn, then press Ctrl+Alt+BUTTON (BUTTON=whatever becomes Num+ or Num*) and then Fn again. It does work, but it is rather cumbersome.

I am now working on a proper keyboard, still I have this problem, accessing the shortcut for Set/Close Next no 100% Open/Get. I have a text with a huge amount of 100% matches. I decided to pretranslate it using the existing, spell-checked TM. Now, after translating a new sentence I don't want to wait for 9-10 sentences to be opened, spell-checked and closed by TagEditor before moving on to the next one (I don't know about the Winter Tree spell checker, but the Word spell checker takes some time in TagEditor and this is the only one for which I have the Hungarian dictionary). So, I am using the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+S, but would prefer to redifine it for something simpler (i.e., Alt+S, or, in this case, as I do have the num pad, Alt+Num-).

It would just make life easier to have this possibility.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, I do this in a bit different way May 9, 2007

Now I'm speaking about my Sony Vaio, as I did not test it on any other notebook, but still I assume it should work.

When you pretranslated your document and then open in in Tageditor, instead of pressing ALT+HOME press CTRl+ALT+HOME. This will open the next no 100% match (remember, that those shortcuts sometimes do not work properly and open even 100% matches). When you translated this sentence, instead of pressing something else, I would press Fn+CTRL+ALT+Num+ (this means set close next no 100% open get). With pressing I mean press Fn, keep it pressed, and then press any other keys accordingly. After you take your fingers from the shortcut you will not need to press Fn again.

If you need a list of nearly all shortucts in Trados, please download this PDF-file.

Best
Jerzy

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
How to change TagEditor shortcuts - a small general comment May 9, 2007

(1) I tried to hack the shortcuts directly, using various resource editors etc. - no go, if you do not want to get involved with illegal reverse engineering. I do think it is a shame CAT producers do not allow user settings of their shortcuts, but they do not seem to care what kind of problems people run into due to their reluctance ...

(2) You can use a program that "hard remaps" keys (it kind of emulates "physical" swapping of keys on your keyboard - does not work properly with hardwired Fn keys on laptops, though) - I have a few of such swaps on my laptop, but it requires very careful planning to be sure you will not spoil any other shorcuts in other software, and the final effect of this method may or may not be satisfactory, since its range of possibilities is limited. Another disadvantage is that it cannot be easily switched on/off, since the remapping only becmes active after rebooting.

(3) You can use "Windows macro" software, which, roughly speaking, "replays" the programmed sequence of keys when you enter your own sequence. You can usually switch the feature on/off easily and activate only before starting work with TagEditor, for example. On the other hand, especially when using such software with TagEditor, sometimes the replay seems to be interferred with or blocked - I have no idea why. Resource conflicts, maybe?

There may exist other ways how to hammer-forge TagEditor into something more user-friendly than intended, but I do not know of any regarding keyboard shortcuts.

An external "num-keypad" seems to be a very good option if you spend a lot of time translating in TagEditor on a laptop. Again, it has its pros and cons, but what doesn't?

HTH
Antonin

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:31
English to Greek
+ ...
Alternatively... May 9, 2007

Levente Bodrossy Dr. wrote:

I am working with the SDL Trados Freelance 2006 package.

I wonder if there is a simple method to modify the shortcuts? I.e., using the numeric keyboard is a nightmare with a laptop.

I was a complete newbie where Trados was concerned (still am, who am I kidding...) and I bought a laptop, which brought me face to face with your problem. I didn't even THINK of modifying shortcuts, I just got myself a wireless keyboard and mouse, and I haven't looked back!

Fortunately, my carry case is wide enough to take the keyboard, so I am happy!

The cost, if you're wondering, was in the region of 35 to 50 euros for both, so I consider they have already paid for themselves!

Hope this is of help!
Lina

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:31
English to Greek
+ ...
Thank you May 9, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If you need a list of nearly all shortucts in Trados, please download this PDF-file.

Best
Jerzy

This is very useful Jerzy, thanks!

ViolentFemme
English to Italian
+ ...
associate the keybord shortcut "ENTER" to an action (Trados Studio 2011) Mar 28, 2013

Hi guys,

I'm using Trados Studio 2011 Starter Edition on Windows 7.

I'm in window Tools/Options/Keyboard Shortcuts.
I'd like to modify the shortcut for the action "Confirm and Move to Next Segment": the default shortcut is "CTRL+ENTER", I'd like it to be just "ENTER". Unfortunately I can't do that, because when I hit ENTER on my keyboard, the window closes (as you can imagine ENTER is associated to the button "OK" at the bottom of the window).
So, what can I do? You can't write in the shortcut field and any copied text (I wrote ENTER on MSWord and copy-pasted it in the Shortcut field) is simply ignored.

Do you have any ideas? Thank you.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Needs a little tinkering! Mar 29, 2013

Hi,

This KB article explains how to manage this:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=3188&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Regards

Paul

ViolentFemme
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you Paul! Mar 29, 2013

Solved the issue

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

This KB article explains how to manage this:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=3188&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Modifying Trados shortcuts

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs