Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:30
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
May 9, 2007

Dear all!

I have already posted this question in the German forum but have received only answers from collegues who have the same question...

Maybe someone else can help...

I am working with Trados TagEditor (Trados 7) and my source text is in French. So french quotation marks « ... » have to be replaced by german quotation marks („...“).

Now in the texts I am working on quotation marks in general are not inserted by tags but appear in the text as usual.

TagEd replaces those French marks by English ones automatically. ("...") (in the target segment), or when I am typing quotation marks they are inserted according to the English standards. (even if working with a "qwertz"-keyboard)

Does anyone know how I can change the settings and tell TagEd not to replace the quotation marks by English ones but by German ones?

Will I have to insert them through tags?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Use ALT + May 9, 2007

Hello Leena,

I don't know about any setting, which would help in this case (and I don't think there's one).

I use ALT sequences (hold ALT and press the sequence of numbers on the numeric pad):

Opening quotation mark („): ALT + 0132
Closing quotation mark (“): ALT + 0147

HTH

Marek

Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 9, 2007

Thank you Marek!

This will work! I will let the collegues know!

Have a nice day!

Leena

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:30
English to French
+ ...
Use Quick Key May 10, 2007

I use a tiny little freeware for this called Quick Key. It helps me to concentrate on translating instead of trying to remember keyboard shortcuts to characters.

It is basically a map of characters. It comes preloaded with all kinds of character maps. It is neatly tucked away in your taskbar and can be called with a mouseover. Then, you just click the character you need and it is inserted wherever your cursor is. I find this useful because in French, many other character need to be used,one of them being TM which becomes MD or MC in French. Another you may want to insert is ° as in "N°" to replace "No." or # in English.

The software is highly configurable and you can create your own character map from scratch. Itis extremely easy to use.

http://www.download.com/Quick-Key/3000-2094_4-10534922.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

quotation marks in Tag Ed

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs