Mobile menu

SDL Trados support without a support contract?
Thread poster: Kirsty Mason
Kirsty Mason  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:40
German to English
May 9, 2007

Hi,

I have recently downloaded and installed SDL Trados 2007 Freelance on a new PC. I have used Trados for several years and have never needed technical support, so did not purchase a support contract.

Now I am unable to use the SDLX part of my new installation (although Trados works fine), and I sent a message to Trados support. Since I don't have a support contract, I cannot expect a reply within a defined time period.

My questions are thus:
- Has anyone ever received a reply from Trados support regarding a technical issue if they do not have a support contract?

- If I can't work the software for a technical reason and it is therefore effectively useless without any support, doesn't the obligatory purchase of a support contract for an additional 50%, simply to be able to use the software seem a bit cheeky? - I am a loyal customer who has paid for something that doesn't work, and in order to get it to work I have to pay a considerable amount more?

I don't mean to sound wholly disparaging towards SDL/Trados, but I genuinely want to know whether anyone has had a similar experience and where I stand with this as a consumer.

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael McCain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:40
Arabic to English
+ ...
I usually receive answers within a few days... May 9, 2007

...except, miraculously, in cases where I end up resolving the issue on my own or through web queries.

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:40
Italian to English
What's your problem, Kirsty? May 9, 2007

Kirsty Mason wrote:

Hi,

I have recently downloaded and installed SDL Trados 2007 Freelance on a new PC. I have used Trados for several years and have never needed technical support, so did not purchase a support contract.

Now I am unable to use the SDLX part of my new installation (although Trados works fine), and I sent a message to Trados support. Since I don't have a support contract, I cannot expect a reply within a defined time period.

Hi Kirsty,

Like Michael, I have had a good response from SDL to my occasional problems. That said, in most cases I have been able to clear things up by checking the Customer Help knowledge base (sdl.custhelp.com), the ProZ forum or the TW_users group (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users).

For example, if you're having problems with the SDLX licence, this Answer might be of some use.

HTH

Giles

Kirsty Mason  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:40
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 9, 2007

Thanks for the replies, it is reassuring to know that it is possible to get a reply, before I feel compelled to splash out on the support contract. It's possible that I haven't got a reply for other reasons- i.e. the problem is not an SDL issue, but it would be nice to know.

I should have mentioned that I had already tried the Knowledgebase.

One of my problems is the following:

http://www.proz.com/post/559174#559174

Now I have an additional issue in that I have had problems with my (brand new) PC and have continually had to reinstall all my software so often that I can no longer activate the SDL/Trados license due to over-use. Again, I didn't know whether to wait indefinitely for a reply or whether a support contract would help, but I shall continue to be patient.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados support without a support contract?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs