Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:08
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
May 9, 2007

Dear colleagues:

I have a long project in ppt format. I have never used trados for ppt. What do I use? Workbench? I checked the documentation and surveyed the site but did not get a clear answer. I appreciate any advice.

TIA

Stephen Rifkind

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:08
Italian to English
In memoriam
Workbench and TagEditor for PowerPoint May 9, 2007

Hi Stephen,

Chapter 10 of the PDF File Formats Reference Guide in the Doc folder of your SDL Trados icon group explains the process in detail.

Good luck!

Giles

Michael McCain (X)
Michael McCain (X)  Identity Verified
France
Arabic to English
+ ...
SDL Edit May 9, 2007

I've used SDL Edit to translate over 300 PowerPoints and it works quite well.

Stephen Rifkind
Israel
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So far, so good May 9, 2007

Thank you Michael and Giles. I now have the file in a editable mode.

My next question: How do I get back to ppt format when I am finished translating?

Thanks for the patience.

Stephen Rifkind

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Clean up in Workbench May 9, 2007

Hi again Stephen,

Here are the final steps from the PPT Workflow in the File Formats Reference Guide:

5 Translate your PowerPoint documents in the TagEditor editing environment. Any files that have not already been converted to TRADOStag are converted during translation.

6 Verify the tag content of the target files using the Generic Tag Verifier plug-in in TagEditor.

7 Save the target files in TRADOStag format using the Save Bilingual As comman
... See more
Hi again Stephen,

Here are the final steps from the PPT Workflow in the File Formats Reference Guide:

5 Translate your PowerPoint documents in the TagEditor editing environment. Any files that have not already been converted to TRADOStag are converted during translation.

6 Verify the tag content of the target files using the Generic Tag Verifier plug-in in TagEditor.

7 Save the target files in TRADOStag format using the Save Bilingual As command in TagEditor or clean the target files using the Clean Up command in Translator ’s Workbench. The clean up process converts each file back to its original format and
restores the original PowerPoint extension (PPT,PPS or POT).

8 Open the translated documents in PowerPoint and carry out final DTP and proofing.

HTH

Giles
Collapse

Stephen Rifkind
Israel
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One last stupid question May 10, 2007

As I am translating, it sometimes asks me if I want to go on although I have not completely finished translating the sentence in question. In fact, what is missing is a tag mark or marks. Do I need to copy the tag marks?

When I tried, they generally don't agree to copy/paste treatment.

Once again, thanks for the patience.

Stephen Rifkind

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Trados User Guide May 10, 2007

Hi again Stephen,

Chapter 8 of the Trados Workbench User Guide will help you start dealing with tags. You need to use the Get Current/next Placeable buttons to copy tags from the source segment individually.

You might also find this tip from useful:

Tip for Translating Documents with Many Internal Tags

If your document contains many internal tags, you may wish to use the Copy source on no match option. When this option is active, Translator's W
... See more
Hi again Stephen,

Chapter 8 of the Trados Workbench User Guide will help you start dealing with tags. You need to use the Get Current/next Placeable buttons to copy tags from the source segment individually.

You might also find this tip from useful:

Tip for Translating Documents with Many Internal Tags

If your document contains many internal tags, you may wish to use the Copy source on no match option. When this option is active, Translator's Workbench copies the source segment into the target field each time it cannot find a match in the translation memory (this is the same as clicking Copy Source interactively). You can then leave the tags in place and just overwrite the text in the target segment with the translation.

To activate the Copy source on no match option:

1 Select Translation Memory Options from the Options menu in Translator’s Workbench.
2 In the Translation Memory Options dialog box, click the General tab.
3 Under Switches, select Copy source on no match . This is the default setting for all new projects until you change it again.

HTH

Giles
Collapse

Stephen Rifkind
Israel
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think that's all. May 10, 2007

As they say in Hebrew, if you explain slowly, I understand quickly. I have fixed my errors of last night and feel confident about the future.

Giles, may you have a wonderful weekend.

Stephen Rifkind

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7.1 and Powerpoint

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »