Thread poster: Barbara Baldi
Barbara Baldi
Barbara Baldi  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
English to Italian
+ ...
May 16, 2007

Dear All,
first of all my apologies in case this topic has already been discussed (I haven't found it).
Since I installed a few days ago Trados trial version I can't view links nor pictures in any Word document. Even when I am not using Trados the problems still occours. If I print, I see the links in English (i.e. the words "EU policy") while in my Italian version or in the English source document I only view the html codes, in other words the "meaningless" internet address.
... See more
Dear All,
first of all my apologies in case this topic has already been discussed (I haven't found it).
Since I installed a few days ago Trados trial version I can't view links nor pictures in any Word document. Even when I am not using Trados the problems still occours. If I print, I see the links in English (i.e. the words "EU policy") while in my Italian version or in the English source document I only view the html codes, in other words the "meaningless" internet address.
I hope I have made myself clear enough..
Should anybody have any suggestions...thank you in advance.
BB
Collapse

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 15:24
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Word May 16, 2007

From your description it sounds to me that this is a Word feature - not a bug.

With html links, you have the option to either use the URL itself (visible) as link text or use "regular" text (visible) as a link to the URL (invisible).

If you see Italian in your translated text, I would assume that this indicates the regular text in Italian has not been translated.
In Word, use the Insert Hyperlink f
... See more
From your description it sounds to me that this is a Word feature - not a bug.

With html links, you have the option to either use the URL itself (visible) as link text or use "regular" text (visible) as a link to the URL (invisible).

If you see Italian in your translated text, I would assume that this indicates the regular text in Italian has not been translated.
In Word, use the Insert Hyperlink function (globe symbol with chain link), which allows you to enter/edit/translate the displayed text.
(BTW, using TagEditor would eliminate this issue.)

If you have translated the visible text but still only see the URL, you need to toggle the display of field codes by selecting the link in question (or the whole document) and clicking Shift+F9. This should display the linked text instead of the URL. You see the Italian in the print-out because the actually displayed text will of course be printed, not the hidden URL.

Shift +F9 should also work to make embedded graphics visible.

HTH!
Collapse

Barbara Baldi
Barbara Baldi  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word feature?? May 17, 2007

Hello,
thanks for your reply. Rather than a Word feature it looks like a Word problem, I had already tried the shift F9 command but if I close the document when I reopen it I have to do this over again. Also, I wonder why this started happening just after installing Trados. And on top of it, it was possible to edit the link through the "Insert Hyperlink" function but it is not anymore. As matter of fact out of 4 files two are fine and two are not...Thanks for the hint about Tag editor, yes
... See more
Hello,
thanks for your reply. Rather than a Word feature it looks like a Word problem, I had already tried the shift F9 command but if I close the document when I reopen it I have to do this over again. Also, I wonder why this started happening just after installing Trados. And on top of it, it was possible to edit the link through the "Insert Hyperlink" function but it is not anymore. As matter of fact out of 4 files two are fine and two are not...Thanks for the hint about Tag editor, yesterday it dawned on me that I could use it but even in this case this means that when I want to use Word without Trados (which is often the case thank God) I would still have to press shift F9 to view everything because that's the way I now view things in Word. I don't view pics anymore and links are not editable.
I guess I would have to reinstall Word...
Then if I use Trados there we go again...It also screwed up the Find and search keyboard command (shift control T). I tried to restore it with no success.
It's like having a guest who riarrange your furniture the way HE likes it...: (
Barbara
Collapse

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 15:24
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
:-) May 17, 2007

Barbara Baldi wrote:

It's like having a guest who riarrange your furniture the way HE likes it...: (
Barbara

Great way to put it!
Well, can't live with them, can't live without them...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems in translating and viewing links with Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »