Noobie question - how to revert word file back to original?
Thread poster: Clara Duarte

Clara Duarte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 22, 2007

I'm sorry for posting such a dumb question, but there's so much I don't know about Trados.

I started working on a doc file without saving a copy with the original source text to send to another colleague. How do I save a doc file from this changed document with the original source text?

Thank you so much for your feedback and guidance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:53
Member (2003)
German to French
Save original attachment May 22, 2007

Hi Clara,

If the file was sent to you by e-mail, I suggest you to simply save it on your HDD again.

If you d'ont have it anymore, well, save a copy of the current doc (using Save as.. and changing the name of the file), then restore the source for all the translation units you created one by one. To do this, open the segment and press Alt + Del, and do so for each translated segment.

HTH,
Sylvain

[Modifié le 2007-05-22 15:36]

Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 22, 2007

I thought there was some automatic method to convert the doc back, but I guess I have to do it by hand.

Merci, Sylvain

lisa23
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Recommendation May 22, 2007

Hi Clara

I'm afraid there is no other way than that suggested by Sylvain unless you have the email attachment (or you may ask your client to send it again). I would like to make a general recommendation regarding the workflow with Trados. Always save the original document and a translated version, e.g. with the extension _GE or _EN etc., that's a must. In addition, create several versions when you work on large documents such as manuals etc. that contain a lot of formatting etc. Trados sometimes makes weird changes or even crashes and you may be happy to have the original in order to start translating again but to leave out formatted headlines or links etc. because the TOC cannot be restored. I have worked with Trados for almost eight years now and also had a lot of trouble with it, but, nevertheless, it's a useful programme once you've got used to working with it.

Regards
Elisabeth

Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all :) May 22, 2007

Thank you Elisabeth.

This file was my work, since I had to copy-paste from a pdf file so I couldn't retrieve it from the e-mail. Anyway, it was a rather short text.

Now I know I have to remember to keep a copy next time!

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
futher suggestion May 23, 2007

Lisa's suggestion is spot on (basic good operating practice). Another useful trick is to mark the source file as 'Read Only' (right click on the file icon, select 'Properties', and then tick 'Read Only'). This will prevent you from accidentally editing your source copy and saving the changes to the original file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Noobie question - how to revert word file back to original?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs