https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/73630-trados_word_problem%3A_seeing_all_trados_code_and_cant_work.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados & Word Problem: seeing all trados code and can't work!
Thread poster: mikolajz
mikolajz
mikolajz
Local time: 02:02
English to Polish
+ ...
May 22, 2007

Hi,

I might have clicked something by accident (being forced to use alt+letter commands to get Polish characters). Opening ANY project file in Word
I see all the code that is usually hidden:

{0 English text}100{Polish text 0}

!!! I cannot hide it with the the Show/Hide P button.

Not able to properly translate as Trados gets all mixed up and jumps lines or cannot insert 100% matches.

Can someone please help me with this?
... See more
Hi,

I might have clicked something by accident (being forced to use alt+letter commands to get Polish characters). Opening ANY project file in Word
I see all the code that is usually hidden:

{0 English text}100{Polish text 0}

!!! I cannot hide it with the the Show/Hide P button.

Not able to properly translate as Trados gets all mixed up and jumps lines or cannot insert 100% matches.

Can someone please help me with this?

Thanks

Nick
Collapse

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 17:02
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
I recently fixed the same thing May 22, 2007

I know what you mean, and it's really annoying and took me a couple of minutes before I could figure out how to solve it. Go to "Options" (under "Tools") and check off "Hidden text" on the "View" tab. That should fix it

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Seeing all hidden text is the right way to work with Trados May 22, 2007

Please see the corresponding tutorial.
I would suggest you get used to see what you see now - as this helps when working, just believe me.

And this works quite well, allowing you to do everything you need - inserting translation, mowving around in your text. Showing or hiding this as you called them "trados codes" does not influence the interaction between Word and Workbench in any way. But hiding the codes bears the risk of damaging them.

Jerzy

PS... See more
Please see the corresponding tutorial.
I would suggest you get used to see what you see now - as this helps when working, just believe me.

And this works quite well, allowing you to do everything you need - inserting translation, mowving around in your text. Showing or hiding this as you called them "trados codes" does not influence the interaction between Word and Workbench in any way. But hiding the codes bears the risk of damaging them.

Jerzy

PS
This so called "fix" is of course what you might want at this time. But then if you hide the hidden text be very carefull - as you may very easy destroy the segment delimeters. You will not see them then...

[Edited at 2007-05-22 22:05]
Collapse

mikolajz
mikolajz
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You! May 22, 2007

Thank You! a million times!

You've just halted my panic&spasm attack caused by the very thought that I would not be able to work all night to finish a project.

Take care,

Nick

mikolajz
mikolajz
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree May 22, 2007

Jerzy,

Yes I do agree with you that being able to switch back and forth between "showing/hiding" the trados code is important as I have damaged those elements a few times, especially in the early beginning of using this software.

What I was lamenting about was the full time display of all code and the inability to function properly in the trados-word environment but that tip solved the problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Nick

Koral Özgül
Koral Özgül  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:02
English to Turkish
+ ...
The easier way in long term May 23, 2007

Hello dear friends,

Let me share two macros I have written for this issue.

Open Notepad, copy and paste the first macro therein. Save it with the name: ViewHiddenTextHide.bas
Repeat the same for the second one, with another new (empty) Notepad document and save it as: ViewHiddenTextShow.bas

You can now open Visual Basic Editor in MS Word (Tools -> Macros -> Visual Basic Editor), select the Modules on the left side (Project Explore
... See more
Hello dear friends,

Let me share two macros I have written for this issue.

Open Notepad, copy and paste the first macro therein. Save it with the name: ViewHiddenTextHide.bas
Repeat the same for the second one, with another new (empty) Notepad document and save it as: ViewHiddenTextShow.bas

You can now open Visual Basic Editor in MS Word (Tools -> Macros -> Visual Basic Editor), select the Modules on the left side (Project Explorer), right-click it and select Import. Browse to the .bas files you have saved, select them and import. Then you better assign a keyboard shortcut of your convenience for each, or assign a button in the button bar for each, as I did.

The first macro hides all Trados related hidden text. The second one reverts it back to show Trados tags and hidden text.

Here you are the first one (to hide):

Attribute VB_Name = "ViewHiddenTextHide"

Public Sub MAIN()
WordBasic.ToolsOptionsView DraftFont:=0, WrapToWindow:=0, PicturePlaceHolders:=1, FieldCodes:=0, Bookmarks:=0, FieldShading:=2, StatusBar:=1, HScroll:=0, VScroll:=1, StyleAreaWidth:="0" + Chr(34), Tabs:=0, Spaces:=0, Paras:=0, Hyphens:=1, Hidden:=0, ShowAll:=0, Drawings:=0, Anchors:=0, TextBoundaries:=0, VRuler:=0, Highlight:=1
End Sub

and the second one (to show):

Attribute VB_Name = "ViewHiddenTextShow"

Public Sub MAIN()
WordBasic.ToolsOptionsView DraftFont:=0, WrapToWindow:=0, PicturePlaceHolders:=1, FieldCodes:=1, Bookmarks:=1, FieldShading:=2, StatusBar:=1, HScroll:=0, VScroll:=1, StyleAreaWidth:="0" + Chr(34), Tabs:=1, Spaces:=0, Paras:=0, Hyphens:=1, Hidden:=1, ShowAll:=0, Drawings:=0, Anchors:=0, TextBoundaries:=0, VRuler:=0, Highlight:=1
End Sub

These are in MS Word XP (2002) standard. I think they should work in later versions as well, but I haven't checked.

I have two extra buttons on my Word button bar, with custom icons I edited. They are assigned to these macros. I click on one or the other to simply show the text either hiding or showing hidden Trados items in the document. I have another one that further hides several other hidden text items that are not related to Trados (like hypertexts etc.), and I can see the document as it will be printed. Similar to print preview, but in the normal editing mode.

The relevant parameters here are:
FieldCodes, Bookmarks, Tabs (obtional) and Hidden. You can use different values for the others, or can omit them altogether.

Please tell me if more explanation required.

[Edited at 2007-05-23 02:11]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:02
English to French
+ ...
I don't need these macros, but... May 23, 2007

Thank you, Koral, for sharing these all the same! I am often looking for macros - I am not a macro wiz - and seeing macros posted in such a straightforward way somehow makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

In fact, I think ProZ should have its own macro library - there are so many of us here, I am sure many of us have lots of useful macros to share.

Thanks for posting these!

Koral Özgül
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TipZ & TrickZ Corner? May 23, 2007

Yeah Victoria, it's these moments of soul warmth caused and returned by a hearty simple thank, what makes life a nice thing to live. Sharing is dearer to me than money or time, and one of the best things about Internet is the vast opportunities it offers to share.

When posting those macros, I asked myself whether there might be a more proper place under ProZ to publish our macros and alike (say, "TipZ'n TrickZ)
... See more
Yeah Victoria, it's these moments of soul warmth caused and returned by a hearty simple thank, what makes life a nice thing to live. Sharing is dearer to me than money or time, and one of the best things about Internet is the vast opportunities it offers to share.

When posting those macros, I asked myself whether there might be a more proper place under ProZ to publish our macros and alike (say, "TipZ'n TrickZ). You happen to not need these ones, but there may also be many people around who do need them yet don't read this particular forum thread. Maybe we should ask ProZ moderators or managers for preparing such a feature within the site.

I have many more useful macros that I have developed or collected in the course of years. For example: I have the habit to type my translation directly before the source text, leaving it unchanged, shifting along. This gives me the chance to use proper nouns, numbers, codes and tags right from the original text, so that there is a low probability of mistakes by typo. But as a result, when I'm done with a segment, I end up with a bunch of original text to be deleted before finishing the segment. Windows or Word can only offer ardous ways like word delete or selecting all the text and deleting it manually. Now, a keyboard shortcut (running a macro in the background) that deletes the text from the curser through the end of the sentence (or through the next Trados tag) wouldn't be bad, would it? Yep, I do have it! And I often feel sorry for that other people have to do all the job manually.

I can't forget the fact that such macros took years and nerves to get perfected. So, they have costed some. But as I said, to be appreciated would me enough to please me.
Collapse

Boris Sigalov
Boris Sigalov
English to Russian
I think these macros are useful May 23, 2007

Thanks for sharing, Koral!

TransGermanica
TransGermanica  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Show/Hide macro and "gecleant" / "ungecleant" Jun 5, 2007

Many thanks to Koral and Jerzy for all this help. Why Trados 6.5 doesn't make show/hide easier is beyond me.

Now, a further question along the same lines:

Some of my German clients like to request both "clean" (meaning no original, no Trados tags) and "unclean" files in return... in their Good German Way they call this "gelcleante und ungecleante Dateiein". Up to now I have been painstakingly manually ripping out the German from a Trados-translated file, muttering to my
... See more
Many thanks to Koral and Jerzy for all this help. Why Trados 6.5 doesn't make show/hide easier is beyond me.

Now, a further question along the same lines:

Some of my German clients like to request both "clean" (meaning no original, no Trados tags) and "unclean" files in return... in their Good German Way they call this "gelcleante und ungecleante Dateiein". Up to now I have been painstakingly manually ripping out the German from a Trados-translated file, muttering to myself that there must be a better way...

So if I simply instruct my clients to go to "Tools - Options - View" and uncheck "Show hidden," have I met their request for "gecleante Dateien"? What are other translators doing?

Michael Deas
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Cleanup Jun 6, 2007

Hi Michael,
You did not mention which file type you're working on; given the context of this topic, I assume you're working on Word files.

TransGermanic wrote:

Hidden text is a Word function...

Some of my German clients like to request both "clean" (meaning no original, no Trados tags) and "unclean" files in return... in their Good German Way they call this "gelcleante und ungecleante Dateiein". Up to now I have been painstakingly manually ripping out the German from a Trados-translated file, muttering to myself that there must be a better way...

There is.

So if I simply instruct my clients to go to "Tools - Options - View" and uncheck "Show hidden," have I met their request for "gecleante Dateien"? What are other translators doing?

Run a cleanup (Tools - Clean Up). Make sure that the Keep backup option is checked in Options - TM Options - Tools (this is the default setting - just mentioning it to be on the safe side). After cleanup, the Word file will be 'clean', plus there will be a 'unclean' .bak file.

Check the Translator's Workbench User Guide (chapter 10 Batch Tools: Analyse, Translate, Clean Up) for details.

HTH, Ralf

Koral Özgül
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Clean and unclean files delivery... Jun 6, 2007

I don't trust to the internal backup of any program including Trados, and first save the file with a new name in form: FilenameHere_CLEAN.ext (where .ext is often either .doc or .rtf).

I close the file(s), no need to close Word.

I Go to Trados Workbench, open Tools menu and select Clean Up command. From the duplicated files, I select the files with "_CLEAN" appended in their names, and go on.

If no problem (as Trados is not always able to cleanup every fil
... See more
I don't trust to the internal backup of any program including Trados, and first save the file with a new name in form: FilenameHere_CLEAN.ext (where .ext is often either .doc or .rtf).

I close the file(s), no need to close Word.

I Go to Trados Workbench, open Tools menu and select Clean Up command. From the duplicated files, I select the files with "_CLEAN" appended in their names, and go on.

If no problem (as Trados is not always able to cleanup every file, especially large files with too much format information, too many and/or too large tables in them), I deliver the cleaned and bilingual files to the client.

Anyway, cleaning and hiding are not the same concerning the effects and behaviour of the file/text. Many operations like copy/cut/paste, select language or spell-check involve the hidden text part too, even if not shown on screen.

[Edited at 2007-06-06 09:15]
Collapse

TransGermanica
United States
German to English
+ ...
Trados Clean / Unclean files answer Jun 6, 2007

Ralf and Koral,

thanks for all your wonderful help. I hope this will work, but I am working in a huge Word file (13MB) with lots of diagrams and styles, and I believe the file is damaged. I'm getting messages like "{

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't use tags in the forum... Jun 6, 2007

Hi again, Michael,
Tags aren't properly interpreted by the forum software.

I hope this will work, but I am working in a huge Word file (13MB) with lots of diagrams and styles, and I believe the file is damaged. I'm getting messages like "translation marker missing or damaged," and the process keeps starting over again and again. I may have to run this at night.

Looks like to have damaged some tags. To find out where, create a copy of the bilingual file, remove the diagrams, save as RTF, and run a cleanup.

Search for style "TW4WinError" in the document.

HTH, Ralf

TransGermanica
United States
German to English
+ ...
Cleaning files in Trados Jun 7, 2007

Koral, Ralf and others,

what a strange thing I'm seeing when I try to use Workbench's "clean up" tool: after executing the program, all I get is the my same file back again, but with the extension renamed ".bak" (essentially it turned my original file into a backup file) and with the "cleaned" file nowhere to be found... not anywhere on my hard drive. Any idea what went wrong?

Michael

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados & Word Problem: seeing all trados code and can't work!

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »