Thread poster: ciovo
ciovo
ciovo  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 18:29
English to Croatian
+ ...
May 23, 2007

I have recieved the regular files (itd, tdb, mdb) for translation using SDLX lite. Also received were the fonts to be used. I just can't seem to get SDL Edit to apply them. I installed them through my windows fonts folder. Is this the correct way.

Can anyone help me get over this hurdle?

Thank you!

Pierre

[Edited at 2007-05-23 17:14]

keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:59
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Perhaps it helps May 23, 2007

Open the sdl file. Go to 'view'. Then 'set source font' and 'set translation font'. In this way you can use any sdl supported font and size also can be changed.

Regards,

[Edited at 2007-05-23 19:07]

ciovo
ciovo  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Keshab May 23, 2007

Thanks Keshab, but I have already tried that and it gives me jumbled symbols with no meaning. It's quite possible the fonts I received are damaged or just not applicable for the Croatian language.

Thanks for your comment anyways.

keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:59
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Check it May 24, 2007

For Indian languages, font problem is very common. I do not know Croatian language, so I cannot comment about it but there are two types of fonts in indic languages. One is true type fonts which are supported by the specific word processors different from each other; they are visible only after installation of fonts and can be written through the specific word processor . And another is Unicode font which is visible easily and can be written on MS word directly by a special key map.

... See more
For Indian languages, font problem is very common. I do not know Croatian language, so I cannot comment about it but there are two types of fonts in indic languages. One is true type fonts which are supported by the specific word processors different from each other; they are visible only after installation of fonts and can be written through the specific word processor . And another is Unicode font which is visible easily and can be written on MS word directly by a special key map.

The point is SDL lite supports only unicode fonts.True type fonts appear as junk characters on it. I think in your case this may be happened. The font you received is not unicode and SDL lite does not support it. Please check it with your agency.

Regards,
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... May 24, 2007

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDLX and/or Trados.

ciovo
ciovo  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you keshab May 24, 2007

I think that you are probably right. I will contact the agency.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing SDLX lite fonts

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »