Thread poster: Susan O'Flaherty
Susan O'Flaherty
Susan O'Flaherty
Ireland
Local time: 16:39
French to English
+ ...
May 25, 2007

I am trying to translate a text which has a large number of end notes in Trados. Can someone help please.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:39
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
No problems May 25, 2007

Hi Susan

You simply have to go ahead by clicking on "set/close/next/open get" and trados will continue to work, (when foot notes are translated it comes back to the main text)

I normally handle foot notes with trados in this way

Hope it helps

Angioletta

[Edited at 2007-05-25 09:17]

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
I agree with Angio May 25, 2007

Don't try to do anything else or you will lose all the MSWord menus. It happened to me once. Now I keep on doing "set/close/next/open get" and didn't have any more problems.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:39
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Alt + footnote number May 25, 2007

When you get to the text that has a footnote, use Alt+the number of the footnote. This will open the footnote on a separate Word window, which you then can translate as you normally would any other translation unit. When you do a Set/Close Next Open/Get, you will be taken back to the text you were translating. Do this as many times as you encounter footnotes.

A couple of tips, though (things I've learned the hard way):

1. Don't use the number keys on the number keypad
... See more
When you get to the text that has a footnote, use Alt+the number of the footnote. This will open the footnote on a separate Word window, which you then can translate as you normally would any other translation unit. When you do a Set/Close Next Open/Get, you will be taken back to the text you were translating. Do this as many times as you encounter footnotes.

A couple of tips, though (things I've learned the hard way):

1. Don't use the number keys on the number keypad in the Alt+Number combination, this somehow messes up the translation unit. Use the number keys on the regular keyboard instead.

2. Choosing the footnote number can be a tricky proposition, since Trados somehow temporarily changes footnote numbers sometimes, so you definitely need to activate the "Show/hide" option in Word so you can see all the Trados tags. Use the footnote number you see inside the tags.

Good luck with those footnotes!

Nora
Collapse

Susan O'Flaherty
Susan O'Flaherty
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Angio, May 31, 2007

Angio wrote:

Hi Susan

You simply have to go ahead by clicking on "set/close/next/open get" and trados will continue to work, (when foot notes are translated it comes back to the main text)

Hope it helps

Angioletta

Susan O'Flaherty
Susan O'Flaherty
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Angio, Thanks for your help May 31, 2007

Angio wrote:

Hi Susan

Hope it helps

Angioletta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to deal with footnotes/end notes in Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »