https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/73854-error_70157_this_document_could_not_be_converted_properly.html

Error 70157 This document could not be converted properly
Thread poster: Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:01
Member (2007)
English to French
May 25, 2007

Hi everyone,

I am trying to align some PowerPoint presentations with Winalign (Trados 2007)...but I get an error message

'Error 70157 This document could not be converted properly'...

I have successfully aligned word and xls documents but those PPT files elude me...

Anything obvious I am forgetting?

The only thing I can think of is that all my source ppt files are a mix of US and UK English...could that be the problem? After that
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am trying to align some PowerPoint presentations with Winalign (Trados 2007)...but I get an error message

'Error 70157 This document could not be converted properly'...

I have successfully aligned word and xls documents but those PPT files elude me...

Anything obvious I am forgetting?

The only thing I can think of is that all my source ppt files are a mix of US and UK English...could that be the problem? After that I'm stuck.
All ppt files are 2000-2003 (on my computer 2003)

Is there a way round ?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Carole
Collapse

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
Power point is a pain with trados 2007 May 25, 2007

2 out of 3 files crash for different reasons when trying to save the target.

Last error:

"This application had requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more information"

I think if your problem is also about conversion, there is not much you can do.

Optiproz Pri (X)
Optiproz Pri (X)
English
Other PPT files? Jul 25, 2007

Hi

Do you also tried it with other ppt files?

peter shaw
peter shaw
French to English
Trados : YUK Apr 17, 2009

I'm having exactly the same problem as described here. Except that I'm using Excel.

Personally, I laugh every time I hear Trados described as a "productivity tool". This software has barely been updated, except superficially, in a decade.

As for customer support, it's no wonder we have to come to Pro'z for help as SDL won't give any.

Everytime I try to do anything with this software I regret the effort, the time wasted and the inevitable frustration.
... See more
I'm having exactly the same problem as described here. Except that I'm using Excel.

Personally, I laugh every time I hear Trados described as a "productivity tool". This software has barely been updated, except superficially, in a decade.

As for customer support, it's no wonder we have to come to Pro'z for help as SDL won't give any.

Everytime I try to do anything with this software I regret the effort, the time wasted and the inevitable frustration.

[திருத்திய நேரம் 2009-04-17 12:43 GMT]
Collapse

paul hacker
paul hacker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:01
Finnish to English
+ ...
Same Problem Jun 19, 2009

I have the same problem. I aligned files myself but wanted to see if it would work in the software. Got the same error message. Don't want to pay $350 extra they demand for support. Tried to do one translation memory but all it did was give me a yellow line each time my foreign language portion came up. Didn't remember anything. Their support system is as bad as their software.

Fülöp Sterczer (X)
Fülöp Sterczer (X)  Identity Verified
Lithuanian to Hungarian
this document couldn't be converted properly Oct 16, 2011

So I had the same error message on XP SP2 with office 2007 and trades 2007.
I did following - closing all programs - restart - same error
in Winalign at the language change panel on the bottom I have the possibility to change the file format. I first set up the project with .docx format, then changed the format back to doc. In this case Winalign created a rtf - format file , and began to check both files, then align
... See more
So I had the same error message on XP SP2 with office 2007 and trades 2007.
I did following - closing all programs - restart - same error
in Winalign at the language change panel on the bottom I have the possibility to change the file format. I first set up the project with .docx format, then changed the format back to doc. In this case Winalign created a rtf - format file , and began to check both files, then align them.
Sometimes I'm getting this 70157 problem again and again, sometimes win align crashes for "no reason" . If files are "big" , in this case more then 200 pages - it crashes. So I do the aligning process with two 100 pages files....ufff....
Try to convert files to any other formats in your office first, and then align, or change the file format in win align on purpose.
Hope it helps.
FIlip
Collapse

Annemarie Mattheyse (X)
Annemarie Mattheyse (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:01
French to English
+ ...
Do you have the documents open when trying to convert them? Feb 14, 2012

This may be why it doesn't work...

Also, make sure the files are in the same file format. I found that a .doc file and a .docx file didn't work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error 70157 This document could not be converted properly

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »