Thread poster: Helga Humlova

Helga Humlova  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
May 26, 2007

Hi,
I have not been experiencing this problem ever before - until yesterday.
I did NOT (at least knowingly not) change anything in my TM or elsewhere in my PC and for no apparent reason in the middle of one document Trados started to change the formating of the text (the source! - which of course gets mirrored into the target).
I am facing this problem today too, with a completely different document and a different language combination.
Any ideas?
I am working with: SDL Trados 7.5.0756 (build 756), MS Office 2003 SP2 (Word: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Thanks in advance
Helga

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:02
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
maybe your Normal.dot template is corrupted May 27, 2007

This would be the only logical solution for me.
In order to test, rename your current Normal.dot to xNormal.dot
Please also copy a fresh Trados template to Word startup folder.

Then restart Word - and I hope it should be better.
If so, follow the instructions in Word help, how to copy your autotextes, macros and so on from the old template to the new one.

Jerzy

Austria
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did not help :-((( May 31, 2007

Jerzy, I did what you recommended (just a few minutes ago, and there is no positive result). I even restarted my PC and it still changes the format of the source (so, of course the target format is affected as well) - but only occasionally. This morning it worked fine and now (with a very large document -manual formating according to the source will be a horror) it again changes the format. This time Trados decided, that "normal" font is better than bold (which is what my author believes to be better).
What else can I do?
Many thanks in advance
Helga

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

This would be the only logical solution for me.
In order to test, rename your current Normal.dot to xNormal.dot
Please also copy a fresh Trados template to Word startup folder.

Then restart Word - and I hope it should be better.
If so, follow the instructions in Word help, how to copy your autotextes, macros and so on from the old template to the new one.

Jerzy

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Start using Tageditor May 31, 2007

and forget about Word formatting.
Obviously your "formatter" decided to use manual formatting against the styles.
TBH I do not know a good way to avoid such problems - reformatting the document using styles and making them match the local formatting of the text is surely an option, but it is very time consuming and a lot of work.
Chosing Tageditor gives you the freedom to forget about all formatting problems, though. Sometimes I say using Tageditor is the GIGO-method. This means Garbage In Garbage Out. Or what your customer delivers you is exactly what he gets back.

Sorry, no better solution without seeing the file.

Regards
Jerzy

Austria
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Danke May 31, 2007

Well, you are probably right, but I cannot follow your suggestion because a) I received a segmented file and I need to deliver it in exactly the same format (which makes it impossible to use TagEditor) and b) I hate TagEditor (this is such an inconvenient user UNfriendly tool, I only use if there is no other choice at all).
Seems like this is another reason to swith to another CAT soon. Have already been thinking of doing so for quite a while now...
Anyway, thank you very much, Jerzy, it is good to see that there are people out there - like you - who try hard to help other!
Helga

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

and forget about Word formatting.
Obviously your "formatter" decided to use manual formatting against the styles.
TBH I do not know a good way to avoid such problems - reformatting the document using styles and making them match the local formatting of the text is surely an option, but it is very time consuming and a lot of work.
Chosing Tageditor gives you the freedom to forget about all formatting problems, though. Sometimes I say using Tageditor is the GIGO-method. This means Garbage In Garbage Out. Or what your customer delivers you is exactly what he gets back.

Sorry, no better solution without seeing the file.

Regards
Jerzy

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You might send me the file May 31, 2007

at info at doku minus trans dot de
Maybe I'll find a solution, or at least a reason then...
Switching to another CAT tool may be a relief, if you go for something like DejaVu, but then you will still need Trados for preprocessing and/or postprocessing.
But if you go for any other not Word based tool, you will have to deal with something similar to Tageditor. IMHO the texteditor in SDLX is even much worser than TE in Trados. But this is just my impression.

Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Format changes when opening new segment

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs