https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/74044-tm%3A_how_to_switch_my_tm_from_en_da_to_da_en.html

TM: How to switch my TM from EN-DA to DA-EN?
Thread poster: Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Local time: 03:33
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
May 28, 2007

I am trying to to turn around a TM from EN-DA to DA-EN. I know this can be done, but have forgotten how. Can someone help? I'm using SDL Trados 2006.

Truc Tran Van
Truc Tran Van
Vietnam
Local time: 08:33
English to Vietnamese
Reverse TM May 28, 2007

You can search for "reverse TM" in this forum or find many relevant links in this topic:

http://www.proz.com/post/542782#542782

J Fox
J Fox  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 13:33
German to English
+ ...
export and import May 28, 2007

I haven't tried it, but I think you export the contents, set up a new DA-EN TM, and import the export file.

I'm sure someone else will have more details, but this might start you off in the right direction.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
JFox is right May 28, 2007

Here are the instructions from the Trados Help file:
>
If you have a bilingual translation memory, you may want to use it in the opposite language direction. This is easily done using the Export and Import functions.

To invert a translation memory:

Open the translation memory you want to invert in in exclusive access mode.

Use the Export command on the File menu to export the translation memory to an external text file.

Create a new
... See more
Here are the instructions from the Trados Help file:
>
If you have a bilingual translation memory, you may want to use it in the opposite language direction. This is easily done using the Export and Import functions.

To invert a translation memory:

Open the translation memory you want to invert in in exclusive access mode.

Use the Export command on the File menu to export the translation memory to an external text file.

Create a new translation memory using the New command on the File menu. The language direction should be the opposite to that of the exported translation memory. You can also open an existing translation memory in which the language direction is opposite to that of the exported translation memory.

Use the Import command on the File menu to re-import the exported text file created under step 2. Translator's Workbench automatically assigns the translation units in the inverted order. After the import, you have a new translation memory with the opposite language direction.
>

HTH

Giles
Collapse

Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is exactly what I did in the first place ... May 28, 2007

but then the analysis result I got surprised me (negatively), and I thought I had done something wrong. Okay, I will try again now and see what happens. Thanks for your help!

Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Truc Tran! May 28, 2007

Truc Tran wrote:

You can search for "reverse TM" in this forum or find many relevant links in this topic:

http://www.proz.com/post/542782#542782

*reverse* and *invert* were the terms I had forgotten. I tried searching the forums, but that really doesn't help when one has forgotten the correct terminology!

Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Maybe you did not export correctly May 28, 2007

I had the same problem some time ago. Check if your exported file is small or reasonably big...If it is small and you have a large translation memo, something went wrong during export...

To check if the translation memo is ok, you can also open it with wordpad, it should have the parallel sentences...

What is important when you export is to click on "segments" rather then on one of two language option you have.

It is correct that once you create a
... See more
I had the same problem some time ago. Check if your exported file is small or reasonably big...If it is small and you have a large translation memo, something went wrong during export...

To check if the translation memo is ok, you can also open it with wordpad, it should have the parallel sentences...

What is important when you export is to click on "segments" rather then on one of two language option you have.

It is correct that once you create a new memory in the language direction you want, trados will import it automatically correctly...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM: How to switch my TM from EN-DA to DA-EN?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »