Regina Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:22
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
May 31, 2007

Hi all,
a few hours ago, I downloaded the 30days trial download of the full Trados 7 version. I went freelance last year and it was high time to get Trados. But after I had entered about 140 units in my TM, and i clicked on set/close/next/open, the coloured bars dissappeared and I couldn't enter any translation anymore. There was no reaction to any click on Trados commands. I tried close and open, but nothing..the curser always went back to the same position. I tried a new TM, which didn't help. I couldn't continue translating. But when I opened a different file just for testing and clicked on open, it worked and the bars where there. But I need to work on my old file of course... and I believe there must be something wrong with that file, but I have no clue at all. Could someone give me some advice please?

Thanks a lot! Regina

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Should be normal behaviour May 31, 2007

Hi Regina,

As far as I know, only the SDLX component works with all features during the trial period, Trados does not. There are limitations to the number of Translation Units, something around 100 segments, I think.

Regards,
Stefan

Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Fixing command? May 31, 2007

Hi Regina,

in fact and since version 2007, the SDL Trados trial version works fine and is not limited like it used to be, so I definitely think this is due to the file you are translating. I suppose you tried the "Fix document"command in the Trados menu? Another thing you could do is try and create a copy of your file and pre-translate it with your TM before opening it. That sometimes works (though I have not a clue why!). If you are still having problems with Trados, and provided you pre-translated the file, you can translate it in SDLX, which is a far more convenient and user-friendly tool... You will find the method to do so in the documentation loaded onto your PC with the software. Hope it helps)

Regards,
Annelise

Regina Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 31, 2007

Thanks a lot for replying, Annelise and Stefan!

Stefan, you're right about the hundred units, but that's only true for the permanent free download version they offer. The 30days trial version is not different from the real Trados 7, and the TM is as large as in the purchase version.

Annelise, to be honest, before I read your advice I was worried that the fix button might return the file to its orginal state, or even delete the translation. embarrassing, but computers are not my friend. i know they hate me. haha. But now I'll try, so thank you a lot for that. I was so much under time pressure earlier that I tried something else... I opened the orignal file in the email from the client again and saved it under a new file name... and there, i continued translating and copied it to the file that wasnt working anymore. I hope that will work and I can clean it afterwards.
Thank you both!!! Regina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble with 30 days trial download of full version SDL Trados 7

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs