TRADOS: is there a way to open a segment which only contains numbers?
Thread poster: Guillermo Arahuete
Guillermo Arahuete  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 1, 2007

I am translating a document which contains thousands of numbers and Trados does not seem to be reconginzing them as segments. It just skips to the following text or segment. Should i change some pre set configuration?
Thanks a lot!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:02
Italian to German
+ ...
Why... Jun 1, 2007

... should you want to open them, anyway? Numbers cannot be "translated" so Trados ignores them and leaves them happily as they are, even after clean-up.

HTH
Heike

Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
Number *can* be translated Jun 1, 2007

Hi,
Of course numbers can, and often should, be "translated" (= localized).

In English: 1,000.00
In Swedish: 1 000,00

I would also be very interested to know how to make Trados open numbers as segments.

Best regards,
Cecilia

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:02
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Work-around Jun 2, 2007

Cecilia Falk wrote:
Hi, Of course numbers can, and often should, be "translated" (= localized).

In English: 1,000.00
In Swedish: 1 000,00

I would also be very interested to know how to make Trados open numbers as segments.
Best regards,
Cecilia

I suspect there are better methods, but in an emergency I use the following localisation work-around in MS Word. (As I translate Swedish to English, my numerical examples are the reverse of yours).

Using Search & Replace, I add a single letter (such as "q") to the front of each number. So 123 456,78 becomes q 123 456,78 (note the space after q, not tab).

The resulting "word" will then be opened by Trados as normal. The numerical part is now available as a placeable (depending on your substitution settings). I Get Current Placeable, delete the "q" and the old Swedish number (by a quick keyboard macro, or Search & Replace), and the result is 123,456.78

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Really, we should bombard Trados with this... Jun 2, 2007

This question always amazes and irritates me.

I have a workaround like Peter's but less systematic.

Sometimes it is possible to expand the segment above or below the number, for instance to include a telephone number and add the national code (+45 for Denmark, + 44 for UK, +46 for Sweden etc).

This sometimes works for all-figure dates that need localising, such as Swedish 08-017-07 etc.
But if the date is on a separate line, then it is necessary to use Peter's method.

Expanding the adjacent segment does not work for whole tables, or where there are hard line breaks.

I cannot understand why version after version of Trados appears, apparently without the slightest attempt to address the problem. Perhaps the programmers are not aware that it is a problem!

Maybe we should all send in a help request and draw attention to it?

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
sdl web seminar wed may 30 Jun 2, 2007

I cannot understand why version after version of Trados appears, apparently without the slightest attempt to address the problem. Perhaps the programmers are not aware that it is a problem!

The question has been put to sdl.
Their answer is sth like this (and applies only to TagEditor):

After translation, go Plug-ins/QA-check and use the numbers tab (in QA-check) to localize decimals (you know, changing point into comma).

To some extent, this should help (sometimes).

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I'll put the question to SDL again... Jun 2, 2007

I simply do not use TagEditor if I can use Workbench direct. TagEditor slows me down quite a lot, and I can't use my Word macros and Autocorrect. It is better than working on Power Point and other formats direct, but for a straight text file there is no advantage in TagEditor, and I like an uncluttered wysiwyg screen whenever possible.

Why make life more complicated than it has to be?

Not all translators are IT-freaks!

Guus Visser  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Similar thread Jun 8, 2007

It seems that a similar thread was posted only a couple of weeks ago at http://www.proz.com/topic/72776 .

I am wondering whether anyone has the plug-in DSC is referring to.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS: is there a way to open a segment which only contains numbers?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums