Freelance 3 Dongle problem
Thread poster: French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:57
French to English
+ ...
Jun 4, 2007

Hello,

I use a dinosaur version of Trados (Freelance 3) with a dongle, but it serves my purposes very well.

Recently, after years of smooth sailing, it suddenly started operating in demo mode.
I searched the Trados support page and found out why here:
http://www.sdl.com/trados-support-view.htm?cntID=760.

Error Message: Trados products run in demo mode although dongle is attached to parallel port

Applies to: Translator's Workbench 2.x/TagEditor, Translator's Workbench 3/TagEditor, Translator's Workbench 5/5.5, Translator's Workbench 6, Translator's Workbench 6.5, Translator's Workbench 7, WinAlign 1.x, WinAlign 3, WinAlign 5/5.5, WinAlign 6.5, WinAlign6, WorkSpace
OS: Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows NT- 4.0, Windows XP

SYMPTOMS

The dongle is attached to the parallel or USB port of your PC and is not recognised by TRADOS software, which will only run in demo mode. The dongle has worked well before and you have not changed anything in your system configuration.

Error String: Translation memory too large for demo mode. Install a valid license file or connect a dongle to the parallel or USB port.

EXPLANATION

Some dongles may have dongle drivers that are not up to date. In some instances the attachment of a peripheral device such as a printer (HP, Epson, brother, Canon) or a zip drive will cause the dongle to break, i. e. there will be no more licences on it.

(This makes sense since I recently installed a new Canon laser printer...)

STEPS

If you suspect that your dongle is broken, please download the Dongle Test program and follow the steps described here:

1. Extract the contents of the zip file to a folder of your choice. After extraction you will find a file in the folder you have specified: Harvester.exe.
2. In Windows Explorer, browse to locate the folder in which you placed the file Harvester.exe.
3. Run the dongle test by double-clicking Harvester.exe.
4. Click the button Harvest Information. The window displays the result of the analysis.
5. Click Save As in order to save the results of the analysis to a file. Specify the file name in the Save As dialog box, e.g. dongletest.txt.
6. Please send this file to your local support office. You will be contacted as soon as possible.

My problem is the link to the Dongle Test program does not send me to a download page, but to another support page. I cannot find this program anywhere else on the site and I am also having difficulty finding any pages that tell me where my local support office is!!! (I live in France).

Does anyone happen to have this Harvester file, and, more importantly, does anyone happen to have the contact details for the support office in France??

Many thanks in advance,
Mara

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Something to start with.... Jun 4, 2007

From the SDL page:

SDL France
2-4, cité de l'Ameublement,
75011 Paris,
France.

Tel: +33 (0)1 44 64 04 00
Fax: +33 (0)1 44 64 04 34

I'm browsing the SDL pages, but can't find this Dongle Test Program yet. I'll spend some more time on it later this evening; gotta get some work done now.

Hope this helps for now!

Best,
Margreet

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Try this one Jun 4, 2007

Hi,

I couldn't help myself - it's so frustrating when you really want to find something but you can't!

Here's a link: http://sdl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sdl.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=3WkyeiDi&p_lva=&p_li=&p_new_search=1&p_accessibility=0&p_srch=1&p_sort_by=&p_gridsort=&p_row_cnt=635&p_prods=18,23&p_cats=0&p_pv=2.23&p_cv=&p_search_text=&p_scf_Language=&p_nav=foot&p_page_head=3&p_page=1&p_page_foot=4
This should lead you to an index with all sorts of support questions.

Question number 66 (page 4) has an answer with the link to the Harvester program.
This is that link: http://sdl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sdl.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?
It seemed to work when I opened it, but I don't need it, so I cancelled the download.

I hope all this is helpful to you. Good luck!

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 6, 2007

Thank you so much for all your help, Margreet!!

David Goward  Identity Verified
France
French to English
What was the problem? Dec 20, 2007

Hi Mara,

What was the problem in the end? How did you fix it?
My version 6.5 is giving me the same error message. I got round it yesterday by restoring Windows XP to the previous day, then everything worked fine. Today, it doesn't want to know.
Looks like I might have to reinstall Trados

Regards,
David

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dongle "broken" Dec 20, 2007

Hi David,

Turns out, as described in my first email, installing the new Printer "broke" the dongle. When I telephoned my local Trados office, the lovely salesperson told me that my only solution was to purchase an upgrade of Trados. I was furious, because I had no need to upgrade and felt I was being forced to do so (which was very expensive - around 800 euros!!) due to a glitch in *their* program.
So I wrote an email to the head guy at Trados to explain my frustration, and a manager contacted me soon thereafter to apologise and offer me a very (and I mean very!) reasonable price for the upgrade.
All of that to say, if your dongle is causing you problems due to the recent installment of a peripheral device, then unfortunately your only choice is an upgrade Just don't settle for one at a ridiculous price!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelance 3 Dongle problem

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs