TagEditor 2007 crashes when using spell check
Thread poster: Percy Balemans

Percy Balemans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:05
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 5, 2007

I'm running Trados 2007 with Office 2007 on Windows XP. I've selected the Word spelling checker in the TagEditor plug-ins window. But whenever I try to run a spell check, TagEditor crashes. I don't get a specific error message, it just crashes.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? And more importantly: found a solution?

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:05
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Methylated Jun 5, 2007

I answered a similar question last year - see the ref. In a nutshell, TagEditor crashed whenever the word "methylated" occurred in the text - but worked fine with "ethylated". See ref for more.
http://www.proz.com/post/400046#400046

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Perhaps this helps Jun 6, 2007

I had a lot of crashes in tageditor until at one point I did'nt respond to the windows dialog that asked me if I would like to send the information about the crash to microsoft and discovered that if you leave that dialog opened Tageditor keeps running without a problem for some reason. Perhaps that works in your case as well?

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't ignore the error dialog Jun 6, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

I had a lot of crashes in tageditor until at one point I did'nt respond to the windows dialog that asked me if I would like to send the information about the crash to microsoft and discovered that if you leave that dialog opened Tageditor keeps running without a problem for some reason. Perhaps that works in your case as well?

Hi Wilmer,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it, but I can't ignore the error dialog, since I can't do anything in TagEditor as long as it's displayed. And once I close it, TagEditor is closed as well.

I guess for now I'll just have to stick with one of the workarounds mentioned in the thread Peter linked to: copy the text to Word and do a spell check in Word...

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
error dialog Jun 7, 2007

Sorry it didn't help. What you are describing is normal Windows behaviour, I still don't understand why it behaves differently with my error. I do realize now however that my error was different because it occurs when I move down too fast on 100% matches in Tageditor. If I do that Workbench and not tageditor generates the error, but if I move it out of the way I can continue to work with both Tageditor and Workbench.
But that does not help with your problem, did you try the Wintertree spelling checker? It is much more basic but I use it because it is a lot faster.

[Edited at 2007-06-07 09:26]

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How does Wintertree work? Jun 7, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

Sorry it didn't help. What you are describing is normal Windows behaviour, I still don't understand why it behaves differently with my error. I do realize now however that my error was different because it occurs when I move down too fast on 100% matches in Tageditor. If I do that Workbench and not tageditor generates the error, but if I move it out of the way I can continue to work with both Tageditor and Workbench.

I've encountered that error as well. I just slow down, that way it won't occur.

But that does not help with your problem, did you try the Wintertree spelling checker? It is much more basic but I use it because it is a lot faster.

I haven't tried the Wintertree spelling yet. Is it a built-in spell checker? And in what sense is it more basic? I'll definitely give it a try, thanks!

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Winter Tree Jun 8, 2007

Percy Balemans wrote:
I've encountered that error as well. I just slow down, that way it won't occur.

Next time you encounter that error just ignore the dialog and move it to the side of your screen and continue working as fast as you like
I haven't tried the Wintertree spelling yet. Is it a built-in spell checker? And in what sense is it more basic? I'll definitely give it a try, thanks!

Winter Tree is built in (in my version), it is more basic because it doesn't contain some words that are very normal in Dutch, but even when it brings up twice as many potential errors it is still a lot faster than the Word checker, at least on my computer. vYou can find it by goign to Tools, Plug-ins and clicking on the Winter Tree spelling checker. It works almost the same as the Word checker, if you want to add words you have to make a new file but after that it is very easy.

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Jun 8, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:
Winter Tree is built in (in my version), it is more basic because it doesn't contain some words that are very normal in Dutch, but even when it brings up twice as many potential errors it is still a lot faster than the Word checker, at least on my computer. vYou can find it by goign to Tools, Plug-ins and clicking on the Winter Tree spelling checker. It works almost the same as the Word checker, if you want to add words you have to make a new file but after that it is very easy.

I just tried it and it works like a charm. Thanks a lot for the suggestion! It definitely beats having to copy the text to Word to use the Word spell checker...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor 2007 crashes when using spell check

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs