Thread poster: Claudia Mattaliano
Claudia Mattaliano
Claudia Mattaliano  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:11
German to Italian
+ ...
Jun 6, 2007

Hello everybody!

One of my clients has sent me an Excel-file, asking me to update the TM and saying that the new terms will delete and replace the old ones.

I have SDL Trados 2006. How am I supposed to do the updating?

Thanks for any suggestion!

Claudia

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ask the client Jun 6, 2007

Claudia Mattaliano wrote:
One of my clients has sent me an Excel-file, asking me to update the TM and saying that the new terms will delete and replace the old ones.

If the client had said that the new terms will delete and replace the old ones, perhaps there is a macro contained within the Excel file that is supposed to do this?

Claudia Mattaliano
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Samuel, Jun 6, 2007

but my main problem is that I don't even know how to update a TM. Could you please help me with this?

Thanks again!
Claudia

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:11
Swedish to English
+ ...
TM or MT ? Jun 6, 2007

Just a quick check - does the client really mean your TM, or could it be MultiTerm? That would be more usual from an Excel file.

If the Excel file is baically a glossary (with words or short phrases in 2 or more columns), MultiTerm would be the natural place to put it. Use MultiTerm Convert (comes with Trados), but read the manual first.

If Excel contains whole sentences from the source and target languages, then it is possible, but there is no facility in Trados - yo
... See more
Just a quick check - does the client really mean your TM, or could it be MultiTerm? That would be more usual from an Excel file.

If the Excel file is baically a glossary (with words or short phrases in 2 or more columns), MultiTerm would be the natural place to put it. Use MultiTerm Convert (comes with Trados), but read the manual first.

If Excel contains whole sentences from the source and target languages, then it is possible, but there is no facility in Trados - you have to manually create an import file. Not difficult if you understand the format, but nevertheless quite complicated, and not recommended.
Collapse

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What do you have in the Excel file? Jun 7, 2007

What is there inside and what are you expected to do? Translate, correct...? It makes a difference to the way to "update" the TM.

Please, let us know.

Ruth @ MW

[Edited at 2007-06-07 08:22]

Claudia Mattaliano
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you! Jun 7, 2007

I have called the agency and they have explained me everything.

Have a nice day!
Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updating a TM

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »