Sandra Bertolini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:14
Member (2006)
German to Italian
+ ...
Jun 7, 2007

Hi,

I translated with Tag Editor a Word-file but when I try to clean-up the .ttx file I receive an error message in the post-processing phase:

(:214746759): Missing bookmark end tag with name _toc167684785 Writing to Word document to

Does anyone experienced the same problem? I tried to find an help on the SDL web site but I couldn't find any reference to this type of error.

I had 4 files but only one gave me such problems.

I'll really appreciate any kind of help you can give me because otherwise I've to carry out a "manual" clean-up tonight and I'm not too happy about this idea since it's very long!

Thanks,

Sandra

Direct link Reply with quote

Yevgeniy Tamarchenko
Local time: 13:14
English to Russian
+ ...
As the message suggest, you have probably deleted a tag Jun 7, 2007

Hi Sandra

As the message suggest, you have probably deleted a tag identifying a bookmark, i.e. it is present in one or several source segments but missing from respective target segments. So you should run a tag verification plug-in to make sure all tags are in place.

If your document is not too big, another way is to look-up (manually) the tag containing the string "toc167684785" in your source segments and when you find it, make sure it is present in the target segment.

Hope this will work

Yevgeniy

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
for lack of anything better Jun 7, 2007

Sandra Bertolini wrote:
I'm not too happy about this

from "toc" I take it your word file has a table of contents...
if not, none of this matters:
use a copy of the original doc; delete the TOC.
batch translate this; clean it up.
recreate the TOC (it shd contain at least one error, i.e. a header that wasn't properly "closed")

well...

[Edited at 2007-06-07 18:36]

Marian Greenfield  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:14
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
long manual cleanup??? Jun 7, 2007

It won't clean up your memory, but have you tried,
Tools, Macro, Macros, tw4winClean.Main
?

It only takes a couple of seconds....

msg
Sandra Bertolini wrote:

Hi,

I translated with Tag Editor a Word-file but when I try to clean-up the .ttx file I receive an error message in the post-processing phase:

(:214746759): Missing bookmark end tag with name _toc167684785 Writing to Word document to

Does anyone experienced the same problem? I tried to find an help on the SDL web site but I couldn't find any reference to this type of error.

I had 4 files but only one gave me such problems.

I'll really appreciate any kind of help you can give me because otherwise I've to carry out a "manual" clean-up tonight and I'm not too happy about this idea since it's very long!

Thanks,

Sandra

Italy
Member (2006)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot!!! Jun 7, 2007

saitch wrote:

from "toc" I take it your word file has a table of contents...
if not, none of this matters:
use a copy of the original doc; delete the TOC.
batch translate this; clean it up.
recreate the TOC (it shd contain at least one error, i.e. a header that wasn't properly "closed")

well...

[Edited at 2007-06-07 18:36]

Hi,

this is exactly what I did several times before postin my threads but it didn't work.

But inspired by your support and Marian's hints (I was a bit desperate then) I checked every single link in the table of contents and they were OK: that means they were all closed. So I decided to update the table of contents (even if I didn't do anything justifying this kind of operation) and miracle miracle ... I was able to clean-up the file and now I only have to read it once again but I don't have to insert every single segment one by one!!! I wanted to share with you this information because ... you never know!!!

Marian,

I didn't mean I had to do a proper manual cleanup because all the segments were in the TM but the problem was that I had to send the file in Word format and not in .ttx to the client and if I didn't find out a solution I had to write all the segments in the Word file...

But as I said thanks a lot for your support: I didn't feel alone in facing this problem and I also tried to face it from a different point of view.

Thanks a lot to both of you

Sandra

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Note added in proof Jun 7, 2007

I always, ALWAYS throw away TOC when starting to work on a new DOC/RTF file.

I would throw away some more if I only knew how (g).

Italy
Member (2006)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Jun 8, 2007

[quote]Yevgeniy Tamarchenko wrote:

Hi Sandra

As the message suggest, you have probably deleted a tag identifying a bookmark, i.e. it is present in one or several source segments but missing from respective target segments. So you should run a tag verification plug-in to make sure all tags are in place.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion that I'll try to apply to the next document with a table of contents I'll have to work with but actually I didn't even work on the original file so I think it should have problems when it was created... because otherwise I can't find an explanation to what happened.

Have a nice day,

Sandra

Glen McCulley
French to English
+ ...
update - solution Jan 30, 2009

Just had this very same problem... on a 900-word doc, so no time to plough through visuall looking for (missing) bookmarks...

solution: in tag editor, you go to Tools > verify, it runs a check that took 3 minutes, then you get a box that opens at bottom of screen, listing teh errors. There was a whole load of them, but I just doubleclicked on the errors marked with the yellow triangle (ignored the rest), opened the segments highlighted and made sure i kept/reinserted all the tags into the TU.

Once done, clicked "Save target as..." and it worked like a charm - problems solved!

To recap:
Tools>Verify. Doubleclick on the *important* errors, reinsert all tags in each TU, and when you're done it should work fine.

Glen

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Tag Verification again Jan 30, 2009

Hi Sandra,
you should run tag verification just like Yevgeniy suggested. This does not relate to whether you worked with the original DOC file or not. You translated a TTX and this is where you might have deleted a tag.
If it is the case, tag verification will reveal a missing tag which you should insert into the target segment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2006: Clean-up impossible

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs