Thread poster: Sara Baroni
Sara Baroni
Sara Baroni  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:52
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 7, 2007

I'm using TRADOS freelance 7.5.0.759.

I needed to clean up some word and excel files but whilst all the Word files have cleaned up with no problems, two Excel files won't. These both have similar names, and the error message I get is the following:

Document structure error: Translated text length for Name "[file name]" is longer than the allowed 31 character. Please change the text and try again.

Now, I've tried changing the file name to something shorter t
... See more
I'm using TRADOS freelance 7.5.0.759.

I needed to clean up some word and excel files but whilst all the Word files have cleaned up with no problems, two Excel files won't. These both have similar names, and the error message I get is the following:

Document structure error: Translated text length for Name "[file name]" is longer than the allowed 31 character. Please change the text and try again.

Now, I've tried changing the file name to something shorter to no avail (although the original name WAS NOT over 31 characters long.). I've tried saving the target text only within TagEditor, and I get the same error message.

What can I do?

Thanks!

Sara
Collapse

tstory
tstory
English to French
Tab names in Excel cannot exceed 31 char. Sep 26, 2007

Hi,

I know this i a late answer and hopefully your problem is resolved by now but here's the solution just in case:

The 31 characters message does not concern the file name but the name of the tab in ecxel that cannot exceed 31 characters.

So you just have to open your ttx file in TagEditor, find the tab names and give them a translation no longer than 31 characters.

Cheers,
Tim

Carolina Gazzaneo
Carolina Gazzaneo
Uruguay
Local time: 20:52
Member (2017)
Spanish to English
+ ...
worked for me... Jun 28, 2009

This comes nearly two years later than the last post, but I just had this exact problem and you have solved it for me, so thank you!

Olga Dyakova
Olga Dyakova  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 02:52
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Thank you, tstory, Jul 4, 2009

Your advice helped me too!

Kindest regards,
Olga.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Document structure error: file name too long

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »