Is Trados 6 still usual and accepted by clients?
Thread poster: Regina Freitag
Regina Freitag
Regina Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:13
English to German
+ ...
Jun 8, 2007

Hi all,

I have downloaded the free 30-days trial version of SDL Trados 7 and after some difficulties in the beginning, I do like it. For some time I've been wondering whether it might be an option to acquire Trados 6 though, because - well, version 7 is still a lot of money.
Could someone give me some advice on what clients or agencies who outsource jobs usually expect when they require Trados? Would Trados 6 be okay or would you recommend to buy the newest version in any cas
... See more
Hi all,

I have downloaded the free 30-days trial version of SDL Trados 7 and after some difficulties in the beginning, I do like it. For some time I've been wondering whether it might be an option to acquire Trados 6 though, because - well, version 7 is still a lot of money.
Could someone give me some advice on what clients or agencies who outsource jobs usually expect when they require Trados? Would Trados 6 be okay or would you recommend to buy the newest version in any case?

Thank you, Regina

[Edited at 2007-06-08 14:52]
Collapse

Pavel Blann
Pavel Blann  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
versions Jun 9, 2007

most of my clients/agencies:

ver. 6.0-6.5: no support any more
ver. 7.0-7.?: I am not sure
ver. 2006 (7.5): everyone supports it
ver. 2007 (8.0): not supported yet

Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
If it is a money problem for you... Jun 9, 2007

Hello Regina,

I can identify with you, though I am using Trados at times (when I am in a rush, I feel don't know Metatexis well enough yet...), I have switched to Metatexis and am a strong opponent to any software producer that is omnipresent in the Internet like Trados or Microsoft (actually God is omnipresent, too. But at least HE/SHE is not so obtrusive!!!). However, these days I discipline myself to use Metatexis on a daily basis for the simple reason, the more I use it, the bet
... See more
Hello Regina,

I can identify with you, though I am using Trados at times (when I am in a rush, I feel don't know Metatexis well enough yet...), I have switched to Metatexis and am a strong opponent to any software producer that is omnipresent in the Internet like Trados or Microsoft (actually God is omnipresent, too. But at least HE/SHE is not so obtrusive!!!). However, these days I discipline myself to use Metatexis on a daily basis for the simple reason, the more I use it, the better I'll memorize the keyboard short cuts. It is really good value for your money (costs around 130 Euro, future upgrades are free), and has a yahoo support group.

Herman Burns, the author, is a translator, so you can be sure it meets a translator's needs.

Any questions I have had in the past were answered within a day by a member of the support group.

Metatexis can import and export Trados files. I am not sure 100 % about which versions it imports. Usually, if you have just a text file (txt), importing data be a problem.

Download the Metatexis trial version and if you like it, buy it...

If you absolutely think you must have Trados, I would also go for an earlier version, perhaps from s.o. who has decided against Trados and now uses a different CAT tool. An earlier version (from another translator perhaps) would not be so expensive and you could still supply your client with a cleaned up Word document and a .txt file in the end...

PS. By the way, just skimming the comments in the forum in terms of how many people are daily struggling with compatibility problems regarding Trados and Microsoft products, should make you think about alternatives NOW...
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:13
English to French
+ ...
Fairly acceptable Jun 9, 2007

Many of my clients still use 6.0 or 6.5. There's not much of a difference between them because the most important thing is the file format and not the software version. In other words, the main difference between versions is the automation of certain tasks, ease of use, added functions that will save you time, etc. - nothing really that could matter to your client. After all, your client usually doesn't mind how you use your software as long as you deliver what they asked for when they need it. ... See more
Many of my clients still use 6.0 or 6.5. There's not much of a difference between them because the most important thing is the file format and not the software version. In other words, the main difference between versions is the automation of certain tasks, ease of use, added functions that will save you time, etc. - nothing really that could matter to your client. After all, your client usually doesn't mind how you use your software as long as you deliver what they asked for when they need it. As long as you are able to produce a translation in the required format, no matter what software and what version you used, it will do.

However, then a client asks for the memory, it can get a bit trickier. Memories change with versions and they have to be compatible. However, the neat thing is that even the most recent version of Trados lets you save your memory in the oldest format - compatible with all versions! The only thing to look out for is when a client provides a memory for you to use. If their Trados is more recent than yours, you have to ask them to send you the memory in text format because the TMX format may not be compatible with your version of Trados.

The only thing you really have to watch out for is the file formats that can be handled by version 7 but not by version 6. Look at the file formats that can be handled by version 6 - is anything missing that you would need? If the answer is yes and you know that the missing file format is present in a more recent version, then it may be better to get a more recent version.

Of course, as mentioned above, you don't necessarily need to use Trados - there are several good CAT packages available on the market, some of them less expensive and easier to use, and they are pretty much all compatible with the TMX standard.

[Edited at 2007-06-09 14:26]
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:13
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Still using 6.5 Jun 9, 2007

I'm using Trados 6.5 and have had no pushback from clients so far.

If we need to exchange TMs, we use the Trados TXT export format, which is the same in Trados 6 and later versions.

Bilingual MS Word files look the same in all recent versions of the software.

[Edited at 2007-06-09 20:49]

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:13
Italian to English
+ ...
I'm using Ver. 6.5. ... Jun 10, 2007

... and exchanging TMs, TM exports and uncleaned files with agency clients - no poblems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Trados 6 still usual and accepted by clients?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »