Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:28
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2007

I have two PowerPoint files that I cannot open after translating them in SDL Trados TagEditor.

When I use the 'Save Target As' command, the file is saved as a .ppt file with the new name as usual and everything seems to be OK.

The problem begins when I want to open the translated PowerPoint file.

I'm getting this message: 'PowerPoint can't read....' followed by the name of the translated file.

The Microsoft Office help system is telling me th
... See more
I have two PowerPoint files that I cannot open after translating them in SDL Trados TagEditor.

When I use the 'Save Target As' command, the file is saved as a .ppt file with the new name as usual and everything seems to be OK.

The problem begins when I want to open the translated PowerPoint file.

I'm getting this message: 'PowerPoint can't read....' followed by the name of the translated file.

The Microsoft Office help system is telling me that the file 'may not be a Microsoft Office PowerPoint file', which of course the file should be.

I am using SDL Trados Workbench / Tageditor version 8.0.0.820 with Microsoft Office 22003. The operating system is Windows XP.

Does anyone have any ideas about this problem.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
during translation PPT Jun 9, 2007

...gets a pendant in a form of a TTX file. If you can work on the said two powerpoint files in TagEditor then the only thing (afaik) you need to do, is to clean them in TWB. Then the two resulting ppts will be single / target language.

hih

Vito

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No change Jun 9, 2007

Hi Vito,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried it but unfortunately I'm still getting the same error message.

The source language .ppt opens perfectly, the target version still gives the same error message after clean up.

Best regards,
Paul

Christian Alkemper
Christian Alkemper  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Problem solved? May 22, 2008

Hi Paul,

The same problem here. Were you able to sort it out somehow? Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks
Christian

Sumana U
Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
Make sure that the converted file is not corrupted May 22, 2008

I have also faced such kind of problems but not with .ppt. It is quite possible that the file is damaged or corrupted during the process. If so, repair the file and try to open it.

Best of Luck

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I never managed to solve it May 22, 2008

Hi Christian,

It was one of those difficult times when you have a lot of work to deliver soon and you start to get problems with the software, so in fact I had to find a workaround quickly.

I managed to import the same TM into SDLX (which I don't usually use, but which I have as part of the SDL Trados package).

SDLX handled the same .ppt files perfectly, and unfortunately I never managed to work out why Trados could not handle them.

Sorry if th
... See more
Hi Christian,

It was one of those difficult times when you have a lot of work to deliver soon and you start to get problems with the software, so in fact I had to find a workaround quickly.

I managed to import the same TM into SDLX (which I don't usually use, but which I have as part of the SDL Trados package).

SDLX handled the same .ppt files perfectly, and unfortunately I never managed to work out why Trados could not handle them.

Sorry if this is not much help, but if you have SDLX it might be worth bearing in mind that you may be able to use it to get yourself out of this kind of fix.

Good luck and best regards,
Paul

PS I've never had the same problem since, so I believe that (as mana u said) the problem must have been related to those particular files.

[Edited at 2008-05-22 14:53]
Collapse

Hanna Burdon
Hanna Burdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:28
English to Polish
+ ...
I have the same problem Oct 7, 2009

I have the same problem, has someone come up with an answer in the two years since the original posting in this thread?

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are all your Trados patches up to date. Oct 7, 2009

Hi Hanna,

I have (fortunately) not had the same problem since, but I seem to remember that I did have some other issues with .ppt files and .ttx that were solved after I installed a patch, which I downloaded from the SDL Trados site.

Depending on which version you are using, you may be able to solve the problem by updating your software to the most up-to-date version possible. I'm using build 8.3.0.863 (Build 863) and it seems to handle .ppt files OK.

Othe
... See more
Hi Hanna,

I have (fortunately) not had the same problem since, but I seem to remember that I did have some other issues with .ppt files and .ttx that were solved after I installed a patch, which I downloaded from the SDL Trados site.

Depending on which version you are using, you may be able to solve the problem by updating your software to the most up-to-date version possible. I'm using build 8.3.0.863 (Build 863) and it seems to handle .ppt files OK.

Otherwise, I wouldn't know what to suggest.

Good luck!

Paul
Collapse

Hanna Burdon
Hanna Burdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:28
English to Polish
+ ...
Thank you Paul! Oct 7, 2009

I seem to have gotten round the problem by saving the PPT as an SXI (Open Office) file, "translating" that using the existing translation memory, saving target as SXI and then saving the translated SXI as PPT again. I have no strength left for anything else, a big fat deadline looming above my head and this little 200 word thing having taken up over two hours of my time already.

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You did the right thing in the circumstances. Oct 7, 2009

Yes, that's a possibility I forgot to suggest.

That method has also saved me many times. Strange that Trados usually seems to work with open source software but not necessarily with proprietary software.

The main thing is that you got your problem sorted out. It's very frustrating when these small jobs go wrong. I've got the T-shirt

Kind regards,
Paul

bassoon1
bassoon1
Try deactivating the "Preserve Slide Master" icon in the original PowerPoint file. Feb 25, 2010

I had this problem two days ago, which is when I came across this thread.

I am using PowerPoint 2002 SP3 and TagEditor 8.0.0.822. In my case I think there was a conflict between the slide master and some of the slides in the presentation.

I resolved the problem more or less satisfactorily by doing the following:

1. Open the original PowerPoint file.
2. Click on View/Master/Slide Master.
3. If the "Preserve Slide Master" icon (which has a littl
... See more
I had this problem two days ago, which is when I came across this thread.

I am using PowerPoint 2002 SP3 and TagEditor 8.0.0.822. In my case I think there was a conflict between the slide master and some of the slides in the presentation.

I resolved the problem more or less satisfactorily by doing the following:

1. Open the original PowerPoint file.
2. Click on View/Master/Slide Master.
3. If the "Preserve Slide Master" icon (which has a little drawing pin on it) on the Slide Master toolbar is activated, click on it to deactivate it.
4. Click on "Close Master View". Save and close the original presentation.
5. Open TagEditor, click on File/Open and browse to your newly saved PowerPoint file.
6. Retranslate the file using Translate to Fuzzy.
7. Do Save Target As, etc. In my case I was then able to open the presentation in PowerPoint.

I say I resolved the problem more or less satisfactorily because, although I was able to open the translated PowerPoint file after following the procedure above, three of the slides were blank. The formatting was quite fancy, so the simplest thing was to copy and paste the original text into the blank slides, and then manually type in the translated text from the bilingual TagEditor file. It was worth it in my case, though, because the presentation was 34 slides long, so it was the path of least resistance.

Not terribly elegant, I know, but it worked for me!
Collapse

Galina F
Galina F
United States
Local time: 04:28
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you very much Mar 1, 2010

Dear Bassoon1,
Thank you for your solution, may be it's not very elegant but it was very effective for me.
My TagEditor 8.0 would crash after trying to open a PowerPoint presentation several times.

Thank you again,
Galina

bassoon1
bassoon1
Glad it worked! Mar 6, 2010

Thanks for the message, Galina, and I'm very glad it worked for you too!

Inelegantly yours,

bassoon1

[Edited at 2010-03-07 14:34 GMT]

wakako
wakako  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:28
Japanese to English
+ ...
How to updade to build 8.3.0.863 (Build 863) Mar 17, 2010

Hello Paul,

I have the same problem that I cannot open a PPT file by PowerPoint after I have cleanup with TagEditor. And I found you mentioned that your problems were solved after you updated your software to build 8.3.0.863 (Build 863).

I use TRADOS 2007 and my build is 8.2.0.835 (Build 835) so I tried to update it.
I checked the TRADOS site but I cannot find any patch saying to update to 835.
Could you tell me which patch is to go to 835?

I f
... See more
Hello Paul,

I have the same problem that I cannot open a PPT file by PowerPoint after I have cleanup with TagEditor. And I found you mentioned that your problems were solved after you updated your software to build 8.3.0.863 (Build 863).

I use TRADOS 2007 and my build is 8.2.0.835 (Build 835) so I tried to update it.
I checked the TRADOS site but I cannot find any patch saying to update to 835.
Could you tell me which patch is to go to 835?

I found a patch called "SDLX 2007 Build 7080 - Compatability release for SDL MultiTerm 2009" and it seems I haven't install it yet.
Is that the one?
Collapse

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have build 863 Mar 17, 2010

Hi Wakako,

The build I have on my machine is 863.

I don't use it much now, I mainly use Studio 2009.

Best regards,

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open PowerPoint files after translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »