Boost your career as a professional translator!

Boost your career as a professional translator! SDL hosts a virtual conference featuring a selection of free resources to help grow your freelance business, as well as an update on the new features of the world’s most trusted translation software - SDL Trados Studio 2017

Click for Full Participation

Wordcount charges in Trados freelance 7.1
Thread poster: Martin Wenzel

Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 16:55
English to German
+ ...
Jun 10, 2007

Can anyone explain to me, how I charge my wordcounts in Trados?

The agency pays 100% for new words
66% for fuzzy matches and
25% for exact matches...

I remember that somebody had written a macro to caculate the translation...

I may have a mathematical problem in the end that will take more time to solve than the actual translation...

Direct link Reply with quote

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
Analysis function Jun 10, 2007

Martin Wenzel wrote:

Can anyone explain to me, how I charge my wordcounts in Trados?

The agency pays 100% for new words
66% for fuzzy matches and
25% for exact matches...

I remember that somebody had written a macro to caculate the translation...

I may have a mathematical problem in the end that will take more time to solve than the actual translation...

Just run an analysis of the file(s) in Trados itself (details below) and do the maths based on what it tells you at the end.

e.g. if your rate is EUR 0.10 per word and your analysis says there are 2,100 new words, 896 words with fuzzy matches and 254 words with repetitions/100% matches, then the calculation would be:

2,100 x EUR 0.10 = EUR 210
896 X EUR 0.10 x 66% = EUR 59.14
254 X EUR 0.10 x 25% = EUR 6.35

Total fee based on these discounts would therefore be EUR 275.49

If your question is actually how to run the analysis in Trados, go to tools in the workbench, select analyse and add the files or files you want to do the analysis on (in a clean TM if you haven't been supplied with one) and press analyse - it will give you a log file you can get the data from to do the calculation. Scroll to the end of that for the total figures if you've analysed more than one file.

Doesn't take long - I analysed 238 files yesterday for a single job and was able to prepare a quote within 15 minutes.

Best of luck
D

[Edited at 2007-06-10 15:11]

avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Not that difficult Jun 10, 2007

The Analyse-function gives the exact totals of New words, Fuzzy matches and 100% matches.
Since you het all your fuzzies paid at 66%, you could invoice as follows (assuming your rate for new words would be 0.10):

New words XXX @ 0.10..............= subtotal
Fuzzy matches YYY @ 0.66..........= subtotal
100% matches ZZZ @ 0.25.........= subtotal
_______+
TOTAL

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
CATCount Jun 11, 2007

http://www.catcount.com/
You can set different discount schemes for different customers and feed the Trados .csv analysis file into the program.
Handy and painless.
And it is free.

Hope it helps,
Philippe

Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the ticket Jun 12, 2007

Thanks Philippe Etienne that's exactly the kind of programme I was looking for.

Where are you stationed in Morocco? If you like to exchange a few ideas about your life in Morocco, you are more than welcome to do so as I am having my daily frustrations living here, but I suppose everybody has them...

Bonne chance à toi.

Bien cordialement

Martin

PS. I need to stop here, I have noticed some hacker has hacked in here...really strange....

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
Glad Avantix and I could also be of assistance Jun 12, 2007

Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everybody... Jul 15, 2007

Thanks everybody for giving sound advice.

I am still very divided about the Trados issue if it should be mentioned at all towards customers...

It seems to draw their attention to the fact that they may have the translation cheaper...

I happened to come accross an agency's website the other day who are really hammering it home that they are using Trados...

Their translations rates are twice as expensive as a freenlancer's to start with...

In this case, it does perhaps make sense to mention to a client that they are using Trados, however, that's just another commercial gimmick...

It's bit like haggling over prices here in Morocco, you know the vendor start's at 150%, so you will haggle till he says half price.

But the item is only worth half price in the first play...you just need to know the game, so you can play it well...

Lawyer-Linguist, Avantix and Philippe-Etienne, I do appologize for not including you in my thanks .. I got just carried away a little over this freebee program...

If one gets things for free these days, my first question is always: Where's the snag?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordcount charges in Trados freelance 7.1

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums