Mobile menu

Using Trados on two computers
Thread poster: Alison Schwitzgebel

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 12:00
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 11, 2007

Hi there!

I would like to be able to use Trados on two computers simultaneously (working on two projects with two memories).

I can't do that with my old Trados 2006 freelance license, so I've upgraded to 2007 (Professional) with a floating license. I've installed the license on my server, and activated it - however when I test it tells me that it can only find a freelance license!

And Workbench tells me that my memory is too large for demo mode and that I should install a license file (which I've already done!).

Any help gladly accepted!

Thanks!

Alison


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:00
German to French
+ ...
The floating licence does not allow it Jun 11, 2007

The floating license is to use Trados on irrespectively one or the other computer but not both at the same time.

If you want to do it (with 2 memories), you have to buy 2 freelance licenses, with the same memory 2 professional licences.

When you did upgrade, you certainly got a new license from SDL, you have to replace it.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:00
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
That won't work, either Jun 12, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:

If you want to do it (with 2 memories), you have to buy 2 freelance licenses, with the same memory 2 professional licences.



It does not matter whether you are using the same memory or a different one. Two freelance editiongs cannot work simultaneously on the same network: the software would detect it, and would only permit the second instance of Trados freelance to work in demo mode even if you had actually purchased two different freelance licenses.

The difference with the professional edition is that with the professional edition, if you purchase two separate licenses, they could run simultaneously on the same network... but of course, if only one license has been purchased, it will work on one machine only.

On the other hand, if one has one pro license, and one freelance one, they can peacefully coexist on the same LAN.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 12:00
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's exactly what I've done Jun 12, 2007

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

On the other hand, if one has one pro license, and one freelance one, they can peacefully coexist on the same LAN.


I have the pro license on my machine (or rather my server, with Flexlm installed), and freelance on my husband's machine. Now I can use two Trados computers simultaneously.

Thanks for your input.

A.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:00
German to French
+ ...
I didn't mean 2 freelances for a network Jun 12, 2007

As from the new Trados 2007, it is anyway not possible to use a freelance license for a network. A freelance license is only possible when the Trados is tied to the hardware and this I expect to be each time different even if the computers are on a network.

[Edited at 2007-06-12 11:17]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:00
English to Italian
Help Jun 12, 2007

Hello,
it is possible to use it on both PC.
It sounds like your copy is still looking for the Freelance license. You need to create a new folder for your 2007 license. In other words you should not have 2006 and 2007 licesnes in the same folder.

You need to point then the server to the 2007 license that you put in the folder you created.

I hope this helps.

Best regards



Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

Hi there!

I would like to be able to use Trados on two computers simultaneously (working on two projects with two memories).

I can't do that with my old Trados 2006 freelance license, so I've upgraded to 2007 (Professional) with a floating license. I've installed the license on my server, and activated it - however when I test it tells me that it can only find a freelance license!

And Workbench tells me that my memory is too large for demo mode and that I should install a license file (which I've already done!).

Any help gladly accepted!

Thanks!

Alison


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:00
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Trados 7 Jun 12, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:

As from the new Trados 2007, it is anyway not possible to use a freelance license for a network. A freelance license is only possible when the Trados is tied to the hardware and this I expect to be each time different even if the computers are on a network.

[Edited at 2007-06-12 11:17]


Hi Yolande:

I don't know if they changed things for Trados 2007. As regards previous versions, the freelance licenses were tied to individual machines (via softkey or dongle), but if your machines were linked to a network (e.g., a home LAN), you still could not have two versions running on machines connected to the LAN at the same time: you could launch Trados on the first machine, but if you then tried to launch it on a second machine, it would only run in demo mode, so long as that second machine was connected to the LAN.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxnurmaln
English
Using Trados on two computers Jun 12, 2007

I have Trados Freelance installed on one computer and I have just instaled it on anotherone in the network.

I plan to stop using it on the first one, so how do I get it to work on the second one (not in demo mode).

thanks


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:00
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
just launch it Jun 15, 2007

nurmaln wrote:

I have Trados Freelance installed on one computer and I have just instaled it on anotherone in the network.

I plan to stop using it on the first one, so how do I get it to work on the second one (not in demo mode).

thanks


so long as it is not open in one computer, you can launch it without any problem in the second computer


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Trados on two computers

Advanced search


Translation news related to SDL Trados





Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs