Mobile menu

Multiterm 7.5.0 444 - How to copy a Termbase to another computer?
Thread poster: Nicole Maina

Nicole Maina  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:31
Member (2005)
German to Italian
+ ...
Jun 12, 2007

Hello everybody,

this is a very urgent question and I could not find anything searching the forums, probably because I do not have so much time, as I am about to leave. Please excuse me for this.

As I am leaving I'd like to take a termbase (which I have used both on my PC and my notebook) with me. The newest version of the termbase is saved on my PC and I just copied the files (which seemed relevant to me) to my memory stick. Then I copied them on my notebook and opened the termbase with multiterm. Something appeared, but not the updated version. Some terms I had added while working on the PC are missing. What has happened? In the details of the files I can see they have been saved today, so they must be the updated ones.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Nicole

Direct link Reply with quote

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 05:31
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
All files? Jun 12, 2007

Hi Nicole,

As long as you have saved your new entries and closed down the multi term file (make sure you close everything before moving it), then copy the:
.mdb
.xdt
.xml

files from one pc to another, your terms should be there.
Since you could open up the glossary I'm guessing that you did copy all of the correct files.
I'll have another think!
Cheers
Owen

Italy
Member (2005)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only mdb and ldb have changed Jun 12, 2007

Hello Owen,

thank you for your answer, that is exactly what I wanted to know. At first I had only copied mdb and ldb, because they were the only ones that had changed (saved today). Then I have tried to do as you say, even if xdt and xml appeared to have been saved yesterday, so no update. But nothing happened.

Another thing is, when I open the termbase (Menu Termbase>Open/Close termbase) I can not see where they actually are (there is only one termbase in my case). Is there no "Browse"? How do I know I am opening the right one? How do I know where they are located, when they have been saved the last time? This is so confusing...

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Earlier post Jun 12, 2007

Hi Nicole,
I described my approach a few months ago - maybe that helps.

Best, Ralf

Italy
Member (2005)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it worked! Jun 12, 2007

Thank you Ralf!

I do not know why, and I still have to figure out what all those files are for, but for now the most important thing is that it works. Thank you so much!

bye bye - leaving to poland

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 7.5.0 444 - How to copy a Termbase to another computer?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs