Thread poster: David Wright (X)
David Wright (X)
David Wright (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:30
Romanian to English
Jun 14, 2007

Hi,

I am having problems cleaning up a file using Trados 2007. At the very end an error message occurs which says:
Error "(32): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." This is then followed by: "[the path to the document] : [path to the .BAK document]. File skipped."

I initially translated the document using Trados 6.5 on my desktop computer (on which I have Word 97), and then I moved the TM and file onto my laptop, wh
... See more
Hi,

I am having problems cleaning up a file using Trados 2007. At the very end an error message occurs which says:
Error "(32): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." This is then followed by: "[the path to the document] : [path to the .BAK document]. File skipped."

I initially translated the document using Trados 6.5 on my desktop computer (on which I have Word 97), and then I moved the TM and file onto my laptop, where I am using Trados 2007, Vista and Word 2007. I tried cleaning up what I've got done so far as a test, but couldn't. However, I managed to clean up the same file with Trados 6.5 on the main computer without any problems, so there seems to be nothing wrong with the file or the tags. Shouldn't the two versions of Trados be completely compatible? Is Word 2007 responsible for the problem?

I would appreciate any suggestions, since I need to finish the document and clean it up on my laptop because I will be away from the desktop PC.

David
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:30
Italian to English
In memoriam
Have you tried reorganising the TM? Jun 14, 2007

Hi David,

Have you tried reorganising the TM before and after export?

If the worst comes to the worst, you could export the TM to txt in 6.5 and import the txt file into a new TM in Trados 2007, which should work.

FWIW

Giles

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:30
English to Polish
+ ...
Not quite compatible Jun 14, 2007

David Wright wrote:

Hi,
(...) Shouldn't the two versions of Trados be completely compatible? Is Word 2007 responsible for the problem?

I would appreciate any suggestions, since I need to finish the document and clean it up on my laptop because I will be away from the desktop PC.

David

The two versions are not quite compatible, especially as regards Trados TagEditor (TTX) files. It's clear from the SDL Trados 2007 release notes.

If it is a Word file with Workbench segments, and Trados fails to clean it, I believe you will be able to clean it with a trial version of Wordfast or even with the RTF Cleaner in Heartsome XLIFF Translation Editor. I used the latter with success when Trados Workbench failed to clean to lean the file up.

HTH

Piotr

[Edited at 2007-06-14 18:48]

Diana Wright
Diana Wright  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Thank you for your help Jun 14, 2007

Thank you Giles for your help. Your suggestion partly worked (but it still gave an error message). I realised that my main problem was due to using two versions of Word. I've decided to give up using Word 2007 for now because (like other people have mentioned on the Trados forum) it is incredibly slow.

Thank you Piotr, it's good to know about the Wordfast option. It helps to ease the stress level if you know of other options prior to an important deadline.

David Wright (X)
David Wright (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I need to log in correctly! Jun 14, 2007

Sorry, I forgot to log my wife out before I gave the reply above. This is the problem when we share the same computer.

[Edited at 2007-06-14 19:00]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot Clean up Trados 2007 file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »